Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:29 pm 

Is it available on DrivethruRPG?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:37 am 

Just DMs Guild. One has to use that site if using their IP/settings. The 5e conversions of old TSR modules are all there. I also expanded the material and provided notes on integrating it with Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

If you have a Drivethru account you can use it to log into DMs Guild as well.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:37 am 

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:If you have a Drivethru account you can use it to log into DMs Guild as well.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Picked up your module and added it to my reading list.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 pm 

Thanks, mbassoc!

Just noticed that DMs Guild is having a Cyber Monday sale, and The Ruined Tower of Zenopus is included, so it is currently only $1.59. Sale is on for about 16.5 hours more.

The Ruined Tower of Zenopus on DMs Guild

DriveThruRPG is also included in the sale, so lots of the classic TSR D&D products are also on sale in PDF and/or POD.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:27 am 

Two updates:

(1) The Ruined Tower of Zenopus recently achieved Platinum best seller on DMs Guild. Read more here.

(2) The Forgotten Smugglers' Cave, the Holmes/OD&D adventure being serialized on the blog, has returned after a hiatus with a new area description!

Click here to see Area #7: Dry Storage

It features the following art by Lore Suto of an unholy symbol of Dagon:

Find previous installments by following the links on the map in the post - you can walk around the entire dungeon that way.

Last edited by Zenopus on Sat May 15, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:43 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:It features the following art by Lore Suto of an unholy symbol of Dagon:

[ Image ]

Have you ever seen pictures of when some small animal swallows an animal that's too big for it & the prey that's being swallowed struggles so much that it partially bursts out of the predator's body? If this happened to a person swallowed by a large fish, & the person survived & were washed up on shore, would such person become sacred to followers of Dagon? I need to know so I can play it correctly for my church's RPG group.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:13 pm 

sauromatian:

:lol:

Last edited by Zenopus on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:14 pm 

*bump*

It's Holmes Day 2021!

On the blog, a "new" photo of Holmes, plus my "Holmesian Highlights" of the past year:

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Holmes Day 2021

Last edited by Zenopus on Mon May 17, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:21 pm 

The next installment of The Forgotten Smugglers' Cave dungeon has been posted!

South of the Grotto lies a water-filled cavern, lit by an eerie glow from under the water...

Area #8 - Reef Cavern

Last edited by Zenopus on Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:35 pm 

It is not often we find real-world combat data to use in comparison to legendary monsters from the Holmes sample dungeon, but here we are:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56612257
A man has been whipped by what he described as the "angriest octopus" while swimming on holiday at a Western Australian beach...The creature came after him again later and struck him on the arm, before whipping his neck and upper back. The tentacles left stinging red welts on his skin, which Mr Karlson said only eased after he poured cola over them...

Where would a D&D character find cola? Maybe that could lead to a cross-planar quest.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 am 

The next installment of The Forgotten Smugglers' Cave dungeon has been posted!

To the east of the Reef Cavern is another a water-filled cavern, with the sound of falling water to the east...

Area #9. Waterfall Cavern

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:56 am 

David Sutherland's iconic painting for Holmes Basic is on exhibit for the first time at the Norman Rockwell Museum in MA!

I visited two weeks ago, and below is my best photo of it.

I've also written a blog post for the Zenopus Archives about my visit:

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: The Holmes Basic Set Cover Art: Exhibited!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:21 pm 

It's a thing of beauty!
Thanks for the blog article - great read.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:54 am 

Zenopus wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:David Sutherland's iconic painting for Holmes Basic is on exhibit for the first time at the Norman Rockwell Museum in MA!

I visited two weeks ago, and below is my best photo of it.

I've also written a blog post for the Zenopus Archives about my visit:

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: The Holmes Basic Set Cover Art: Exhibited!

[ Image ]

WOW!  Anyone wanna take a stab on a valuation?
Im thinking it is at least 6 digits.....

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:05 pm 

Today marks ten years of exploring with underworld of Holmes Basic D&D with the Zenopus Archives blog!

To mark the occasion, I've got a "Collector's Edition" post up:

Ten Years of the Zenopus Archives

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:Today marks ten years of exploring with underworld of Holmes Basic D&D with the Zenopus Archives blog!

To mark the occasion, I've got a "Collector's Edition" post up:

Ten Years of the Zenopus Archives

[ Image ]

Congratulations!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:35 pm 

It looks like some of the images on the Zenopus Archives blog aren't working, such as the pictures of the Holmes manuscript, e.g. look at ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Part 16: "An Exchange of Two Blows With Ordinary Weapons"

The domain 4.bp.blogspot.com that they were hosted on doesn't work any more.

PreviousNext