AD&D Printings
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 pm 

This is in regards to AD&D 2nd Edition so I'm not sure if you can help since you deal with 1st Edition products, but I'll ask anyway..

My question is this...how do I differentiate between different printings of softcover books? For example...Complete Thief's Handbook..how do I tell if it is a first or second or ? printing.

I can't find anything that says what printing it is in book but find two years inside book of 1989, and 1993. Back of book says 1991. So i don't have a clue.

thanks

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:44 am 

A very learned man posted this over at Tome of Treasures.  It may help you.

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2425

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:28 pm 

Also a thread here:  viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3891

There just isn't an all in one spot list for each item.  Overall, I don't think there has been enough interest to assemble such a thing.  The core items had multiple printings, random modules for Ravenloft or Planescape or whatever probably didn't.  Or at least, they don't have detectable differences.  If the logo, price, address, typeface, colors, etc. didn't change, we can't really note a different printing.

In the example you give, it can't be a first printing, because of the dates.  If it had been printed in 1989, it wouldn't reference 1991 or 1993, so it has to be a later printing.  For the PHBR series, looking at the logo, price, and style of the cover are what is used to narrow down the printing order.

If you have specific items that you're interested in, check out those threads, and feel free to ask questions.  I have made notes about what's what (at least to identify first printings), for my use, and if there is anything I can help you identify, I'd be happy to try to do so.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:24 am 

The 10th and 11th printings are fairly clear about it. On the Credits page, at the bottom, it will say what printing it is. Also, later prints (before the cover was switched to the black one) have campaign setting advertisements all over the endpapers. I don't recall those on the earlier prints, but I don't have any of those anymore, so I can be wrong (happily.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:36 pm 

Thanks! Those threads helped a lot! I don't try to collect or accumulate much 2nd Ed. TSR, and later editions and d20 interest me none at all. However some of the earlier 2nd Ed. products I do try to get. The PHBR books just looked cool to me so I am trying to get complete set together. With the knowledge you Sages have provided I will now know what is what!! thanks again

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 pm 

If you're patient, the PHBR series can be sorted out without too much pain.

And hey, if you discover anything that isn't covered in those threads, post it here so we can learn!  Someday, someone may have the energy to collate all that info.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:30 pm 

TheHistorian wrote in AD&D Printings:Also a thread here:  http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3891

A great thread for general information but unfortunately pretty out of date.

copycat wrote in AD&D Printings:The 10th and 11th printings are fairly clear about it. On the Credits page, at the bottom, it will say what printing it is.

If only that were true. The printing information listed on the interior is often repeated across multiple printings or just plain wrong. For example, I have two different printings of PHBR1 that state "2nd printing May 1992" and another that states "Second Printing December 1991." I kid you not. I also have three distinct printings that all state "11th Printing, May 1996."

TheHistorian wrote in AD&D Printings:There just isn't an all in one spot list for each item.  Overall, I don't think there has been enough interest to assemble such a thing.

I have toyed with the idea of doing in-depth printing information for 2E if there was enough interest. I know several other folks have put together lists based on what they have or have researched and if they (or anybody else) is interested in pooling all of our resources I could do a separate section on my website. I threw something together real quick just to get some ideas flowing. Any thoughts?

PHBR1 The Complete Fighter's Handbook

Last edited by blackdougal on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 pm 

I know many of us are purists but was there a reason why The Acaeum never fully adopted 2E?  I was searching for the site's charter to see if it was buried somewhere in there.   :wink:

I'm sure its probably been discussed about 10 times already so apologies if that's the case.

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:46 pm 

blackdougal wrote in AD&D Printings:I have toyed with the idea of doing in-depth printing information for 2E if there was enough interest. I know several other folks have put together lists based on what they have or have researched and if they (or anybody else) is interested in pooling all of our resources I could do a separate section on my website. I threw something together real quick just to get some ideas flowing. Any thoughts?

Yes please. Sounds like a good project for the Wiki. See what I did with 1E items, like The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, here.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in AD&D Printings:I know many of us are purists but was there a reason why The Acaeum never fully adopted 2E?  I was searching for the site's charter to see if it was buried somewhere in there.   :wink:

I'm sure its probably been discussed about 10 times already so apologies if that's the case.

Indeed!  :)  FAQ

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:20 am 

blackdougal wrote in AD&D Printings:
I have toyed with the idea of doing in-depth printing information for 2E if there was enough interest. I know several other folks have put together lists based on what they have or have researched and if they (or anybody else) is interested in pooling all of our resources I could do a separate section on my website. I threw something together real quick just to get some ideas flowing. Any thoughts?

I would love this.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:55 am 

FoulFoot wrote in AD&D Printings:
Indeed!  :)  https://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/faq.html#3

Foul

Thanks Scott

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:58 am 

The Planescape subweb is pretty much the only in depth 2E info on this site, as that line has become pretty collectible/valuable.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:59 pm 

blackdougal wrote in AD&D Printings:
A great thread for general information but unfortunately pretty out of date.

Great project!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:53 pm 

Sounds like a fun project! Curious, if you were recruiting folks to help, would someone be able to help on a module by module basis?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:11 pm 

nice project! I have quite some 2nd ed stuff. Never been involved in catalogueing but willing to check my copies

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:32 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote in AD&D Printings:The Planescape subweb is pretty much the only in depth 2E info on this site, as that line has become pretty collectible/valuable.

for sure. I'd love to see a valuation update in the box sets guide - I have my own estimates for current values around but would be good to have 'shared' valuations put up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:39 pm 

brute wrote in AD&D Printings:Sounds like a fun project! Curious, if you were recruiting folks to help, would someone be able to help on a module by module basis?

I would likely do one item at a time, at least for the ones with lots of variations. Maybe get all of mine in order, post it (like the PHBR1) and ask for submissions.

Next