Interesting Items Currently on eBay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 121 of 191123 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 189190191
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:14 pm 

I wonder how many shrink wrapped items are genuinely vintage shrink wrapped items and how many are shrink wrapped at some point after the item left the publisher.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 pm 

One of the reasons why I mention that shrink is not a condition.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:03 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:I wonder how many shrink wrapped items are genuinely vintage shrink wrapped items and how many are shrink wrapped at some point after the item left the publisher.

I bought the Lost Tombs series the day they hit the shelves at Barnes and Noble (if they are still around?) and not a single one of them were in SW.  I see them all the time in SW however.  hmmm...  PDT_Armataz_01_02

-SKA

Last edited by Sir Kill Alot on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:07 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:One of the reasons why I mention that shrink is not a condition.

Exactly... there is no point in shrink if the item looks like it was used to slide heavy objects across the floor.

-SKA

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:10 am 

I bought 12 copies of Yggsburgh and 12 copies of Upper Works back in the day.
The six copies of Yggsburgh and Upper Works I received directly from TLG were not shinkwrapped, but the 6 copies of Yggsburgh I received from Esvidium (A importer/UK distributor) and the 6 copies of Upper Works I received from NKG were shinkwrapped.
So my default assumption is always that shinkwraps (with the exception of carded TSR hangers) as not original.
Its then just a matter of knowing whether they have been done to increase the valuation or conceal condition.
In most cases they are probably just a means of preserving condition from back in the day, but with easy access to shrinkwrap everywhere, there has been a fair amount of modern VGC or NM condition things suddenly becoming Mint in Shrink when they appear on eBay over the years, and worn corners to 'explain' the evidence of VGC while still trying to dupe people into paying for Mint in Shrink is often a giveaway.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:39 pm 

Auction Hunter picked this up...

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Well worth $100... Maybe double that.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:20 pm 

I used to collect NM condition books, but obtained so many so fast that I could not read all the content so I switched to shrink collecting. Shrink collecting is a thing because the market says so. That's really the best justification for it. It's considered the highest mark of rarity even with the risk of a reshrink. I think that risk of reshrinks has increased only recently, since just a few years ago shrink items were readily available and barely more than a NM non-shrink version. Sometimes with dusty shrink items that patina would take away from the value but that's often not the case any longer.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:14 pm 

Talk about raising an eyebrow...  $870 is a lot for a B6 module...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:01 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

In shrink! ...and now the question: is the BIN correct according to the recent trends?!?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:17 am 

Box seems a bit damaged and stained for shrinked?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:44 am 

Most shops back in the day had shrink wrap machines and shinkwrapped stuff themselves. I worked for a nationwide high street retailer in the UK and we would inspect stuff that was returned to us and re-shrinkwrap the stuff and sell it as new, and that was in the days when shrinkwrap machines were the size of an office table. Now-a-days anyone can shrinkwrap anything and say its new in original shrink. Without a certificate of authenticity or photographs proving the same, the odds are overwhelmingly against original shrinkwrap. At best you have a shrinkwrap applied to a new product in a shop, possibly a shrinkwrap applied to a second hand product, at worst a shrinkwrap applied to a product to deter/conceal evidence of usage and damage.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:20 am 

mbassoc2003's comments are quite true, but I would lean towards this being the original SW.  The damage and discoloration appear to be completely plausible with the original SW still on the box.  The pictures are blurry, so it's hard to tell if some of the soiling is on the SW or on the box.  The corner is definitely damaged and there is some soiling/staining as a result.  If the staining is on the box, there could be some foxing or moisture damage externally/internally too.  I don't see this box set being worth that price.  Too much risk.

This type of damage further solidifies that SW does not guarantee condition.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:58 am 

This is creeping up with 5 hours left and 49 people watching. Currently @ $630.

-SKA

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:49 pm 

chromaticknight wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:
Price is debatable until it sells. As far as the seller goes, he is well known and respected in the collecting community. I would have zero concern buying anything from his collection, 100% upstanding dude.

Mike

Signature looks good and he's known around here.  But overpriced, probably.   :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 pm 

I don't believe I've ever seen this before...  very strange auction indeed... Roughly $350 per item.

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 pm 

I was thinking that was a special cut deal between some buyer that hand picked some modules at an agreed upon price and the seller made a special listing for the guy to Buy Now.  But its been up a while.  Weird.

Vismore

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:18 pm 

Vismore wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:I was thinking that was a special cut deal between some buyer that hand picked some modules at an agreed upon price and the seller made a special listing for the guy to Buy Now.  But its been up a while.  Weird.

Vismore

The listing title is truncated. The full title is 'Special Listing For A Particular Buyer Upon Request Whom I Don't Really Like So I'm Going to Put Up A Listing With A Passive-Aggressive Price Just To Shut Them Up (8 total).'

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 am 

...mmhhhh... Holmes ed with both dice and chits... Is this possible? Afaik chits were used due to dice shortage...

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 121 of 191123 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 189190191