Interesting Items Currently on eBay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 123 of 191123 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 189190191
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:57 pm 

Waynes_Books wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:[ Image ]

I just put up a WARRIORS OF MARS book up on eBay.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

A briefexplainer and many more photos over at my blog.

-Wayne

What is the provenance of the book (if you don't mind saying)?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:What would be the chances of it possibly being moldy?  I would love to own a Tamoachan, but this one sadly would be a hard pass.

-SKA

Does it do anything for anyone that its from Jim Ward’s collection?  Does that add a premium despite the condition?

Vismore

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:02 pm 

dbartman wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:In case you haven't seen this yet.

It's been a while since one of these has popped up on eBay:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

It's missing a couple of the character background sheets, but with some good restoration work, pretty confident its condition could be upgraded.

This sale might shake a couple others lose.  I just missed out on Mr. Ward’s copy.  The Hunt continues...

Vismore

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:08 pm 

Vismore wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:Does it do anything for anyone that its from Jim Ward’s collection?  Does that add a premium despite the condition?Vismore

That typically does increase the value.  In this case, Jim will provide a letter of authenticity, which usually adds to the sale price as well.

If it's the original author's copy, or if it has been signed by the author(s), that's an even bigger premium.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:
What is the provenance of the book (if you don't mind saying)?

I'm selling it on consignment. I doubt owner wants to be public.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 pm 

dbartman wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:That typically does increase the value.  In this case, Jim will provide a letter of authenticity, which usually adds to the sale price as well.

If it's the original author's copy, or if it has been signed by the author(s), that's an even bigger premium.

I agree.  Despite the condition I saw it as a piece of history being that it was his apparent personal copy.  Seems like Paul Stromburg had an auction last year where one in better condition went for more if I recall but I am not aware if that came from a TSR personality.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:58 pm 

Waynes_Books wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:
I'm selling it on consignment. I doubt owner wants to be public.

Hello Wayne, Is it someone that is associated with the D&D in some way, such as an ex-TSR employee, author, etc.?  Those types of details would only help to increase the sale price.

Any information on where it came from and/or when it was purchased, wouldn't necessarily reveal any personal details, but if it's simply from a private collection, and there are no additional details, that's fine of course.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:38 pm 

He's a known name from the old days in the hobby, but no direct connection to D&D. I'll ask him.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:23 am 

I have permission from the owner to post the history of this particular Warriors of Mars game book, Scott Bizar of Fantasy Games Unlimited (FGU). I'll repeat what he told me:

Hi Wayne,  It is fine to attach my name and you can say that I purchased it at the annual miniatures show/convention in Chester, PA back in 1975. Another member of my gaming club purchased D&D, which we were unable to decipher or figure out without guidance and never did play. The "bend" in the book is due to being in a box with other rulebooks and magazines for over thirty years where some of the books might have varied in size. It is okay to say that I saw other copies up for obscene prices that I did not believe were fair or accurate so I asked you about it and we decided together to put it up for auction. It should be clear to people who know you from the forum know that you buy FGU games from me, so it should not be a surprise that I would ask you about pricing of Warriors of Mars. As I wrote the miniatures rules for Barsoom for Heritage back in the 70s and the background book for SPI's Barsoom boardgame, it should also not be a surprise that I am a big Burroughs fan and collector and that I would purchase this book when it first came out.  Best,  Scott

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:39 pm 

Isn't it great to have a little bit of history about past history of a book. Even if it adds nothing to the price, its a great thing to have on a little folded sheet tucked in with a book.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:54 pm 

You're right. This is why I love the Acaeum. You guys have saved my bacon more than a few times.

I asked Scott if he'd provide a note. He is sending one to me now, and it'll be added to the book.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:14 am 

My pleasant Scott Bizar / Barsoom memory:

When I was a kid my local fgs was Waterloo Hobbies in Stony Brook. I want to say it was Scott’s family that ran it (could be wrong) and he frequently worked the counter (1982-ish?). They had a an excellent fantasy fiction section, shelves and shelves!, and when I happened across Burroughs, Scott recommended the series, suggested I read books 1-3 in order, and that set me off on a lifetime love of Barsoom, fantasy, sci-fi, rpgs and gaming.  I’d probably only read Tolkien and had a basic set at that point when I started visiting Waterloo, by high school I was elbows deep in the rpg hobby and Waterloo & Scott were a big part. Super nice guy, always had time to chat with little old me, and I had no idea he was an author/game publisher.

I’ve since collected just about everything FGU and have tons and tons of game books from his store.  Happy memories :). I hope he’s doing well.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:20 pm 

This had a fight with a trash compactor or was a chew toy for seller's pit bull, but its still 'Mint'.  8O

Well...almost...

It looks like it was kept nicely until an unfortunate event... Just spit balling...

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:53 am 

“ THIS ITEM IS MINT SEALED HOWEVER THERE IS A SPLIT IN THE CELLOPHANE”  :lol:  :lol:

Looks ok inside the damaged shrink, but not sure how makes it Mint  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:My pleasant Scott Bizar / Barsoom memory:

When I was a kid my local fgs was Waterloo Hobbies in Stony Brook. I want to say it was Scott’s family that ran it (could be wrong) and he frequently worked the counter (1982-ish?). They had a an excellent fantasy fiction section, shelves and shelves!, and when I happened across Burroughs, Scott recommended the series, suggested I read books 1-3 in order, and that set me off on a lifetime love of Barsoom, fantasy, sci-fi, rpgs and gaming.  I’d probably only read Tolkien and had a basic set at that point when I started visiting Waterloo, by high school I was elbows deep in the rpg hobby and Waterloo & Scott were a big part. Super nice guy, always had time to chat with little old me, and I had no idea he was an author/game publisher.

I’ve since collected just about everything FGU and have tons and tons of game books from his store.  Happy memories :). I hope he’s doing well.

Thanks for this! Cool that you met him in the old days. Can't say I know him real well, but Scott is today a feisty and engaging 70ish-years-old. Always an interesting old days anecdote every time we meet up. I oughta interview him if he's amenable.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:50 pm 

Seller listed this as used however it looks to be still sealed.  Possible chance to pick this up on the cheap?

Maybe not... :wink:

Edit:  long day folks... Apologies, 'Sealed' in the item description. Disregard this... Ugh.

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 pm 

Scott's letter to be included with Warriors of Mars game book to the winner.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 123 of 191123 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 189190191