Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:06 am 

Thankfully, the self-policing members of this forum have seen fit to confine off-topic discussions to this single thread, for the most part.  Please continue this fine tradition.

Foul

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:18 am 

Sitting in my office in Kabul, crushed under a mountain of paperwork. There is a party next door (a wedding?) and the drummer is going nuts!!! My body is starting to move of its own accord, what ... what ... I'm dancing. Can't help myself ....  :bounce:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Sitting in my office in Kabul, crushed under a mountain of paperwork. There is a party next door (a wedding?) and the drummer is going nuts!!! My body is starting to move of its own accord, what ... what ... I'm dancing. Can't help myself ....  :bounce:

:lol:

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 am 

Ok I thought this was in interesting article so I wanted to see if there could be a discussion and thus didn't post it at the end of the last off topic thread.  I think there are a few parallels between this and game collecting but was surprised to see how much they really didn't match.  Read the article and come back to discuss....basically the gist is how people who collected comics the last 20 or so years are finding out their collections aren't worth much today when they attempt to sell them...

Those Comics in Your Basement? Probably Worthless - Businessweek

Barry T. Smith, 44, spent most of his life collecting comic books. And he always considered them an investment. "These books would someday be college tuition, or a house down payment," Smith remembers thinking. "I would lay them all out in my parents' living room, sorting them, cataloging them, writing down entries on graph paper while cross-referencing them against the Overstreet Price Guide."
After college he landed a tech job in Silicon Valley but held on to all 1,200 of his comics, including several hundred early issues of Marvel's X-Men, which his research suggested had grown in value every year. The comics sat in a storage unit, boarded and bagged, for close to two decades. When Smith found himself unemployed and in need of money to support his wife and two daughters, he decided the time was right to cash in on his investment.
The entire collection sold for about $500. "I'm not too proud to admit, I cried a bit," Smith says.
He's not the only would-be investor who's discovered in recent years that his comic collection isn't worth nearly as much as he'd hoped. Kevin J. Maroney, 47, of Yonkers, N.Y., decided to sell 10,000 comics, roughly a third of his collection, on consignment with various comic book stores in Manhattan. Thus far, fewer than 300 have sold for a total of about $800. He's not surprised by the lack of interest. "A lot of people my age, who grew up collecting comics, are trying to sell their collections now," says Maroney, who works in IT support for Piper Jaffray. "But there just aren't any buyers anymore."
Frank Santoro, a columnist for the Comics Journal and an avid collector himself, has noticed the same trend. "More and more of these types of collections are showing up for sale," he says. "And they're becoming more and more devalued. The prices are dropping." He recently had to break the bad news to a friend's uncle, who was convinced his comic collection—about 3,000 books—was worth at least $23,000. "I told him it was probably more like $500," Santoro says. "And a comic book store would probably only offer him $200."
Stories like these are a stark contrast to what's typically reported. To go by media accounts, 2013 has been a huge year for the vintage comic market. A Minnesota man found a copy of Action Comics No. 1—the first appearance of Superman, published in 1938—in a wall of his house and sold it for $175,000 in June. Three decades ago a different copy of the same comic sold for about $5,000, a record at the time. In August, meanwhile, Heritage Auctions hosted a comic-oriented event in Dallas where a highly-graded copy of the 1940 comic Batman No. 1 sold for a staggering $567,625. A recent piece on the Wall Street Journal's MarketWatch website was especially enthusiastic about comics as an investment strategy, calling them "more predictable than stocks" and "recession-proof." Old comics, the author suggested, could even save your home from foreclosure.
Outlandish claims and tales of amazing windfalls elicit only groans from Rob Salkowitz, a business analyst and author of Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture. He also happens to be, in his own words, "a guy in his 40s with a basement full of old comics." He warns that too many people have been deluded into thinking they are sitting on a comic book gold mine.
"There are two markets for comic books," Salkowitz says. "There's the market for gold-plated issues with megawatt cultural significance, which sell for hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars. But that's a very, very, very limited market. If a Saudi sheik decides he needs Action Comics No. 1, there are only a few people out there who have a copy." And then there's the other market, where most comics change hands for pennies and nobody is getting rich or even breaking even. "The entire back-issues market is essentially a Ponzi scheme," Salkowitz says. "It's been managed and run that way for 35 years."
Bill Boichel, the owner of Pittsburgh's Copacetic Comics, argues that transactions involving high-profile vintage comics happen in an entirely separate market. "Ultra-high-grade books sell for as much or more than ever to doctors, lawyers, brokers, and bankers," he says. Comics like The Amazing Spider-Man No. 1—an Ohio man recently auctioned a copy for $7,900 to help pay for his daughter's wedding—are considered a "blue chip stock of high liquidity, in that there is always a ready buyer for it."
On the other end of the spectrum, almost any comic book store owner can supply eye-opening tales of depreciation. Walter Durajlija, an adviser for Overstreet and owner of Big B Comics in Hamilton, Ont., sold a copy of Uncanny X-Men No. 94 in 2010 for a record $26,500. Last year, that same comic sold in his store for only $12,000. "[My] last two sales [of X-Men No. 94] were $9,501 in February of 2013 and $8,089 three short days later," he says. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. "Incredible Hulk No. 181 was getting $20,000; they now trade for $8,000."
Todd McDevitt, who owns a chain of five comic book stores in Pennsylvania, remembers when Superman No. 75, published in 1992 and featuring the death of the hero, was selling for $75. Today, collectors are lucky to get $8. "I still get calls from folks who think they can retire after buying what they thought was the ‘last' Superman," McDevitt says. (Death, of course, proved only a temporary setback for the Man of Steel and his comics.)
Even investors buying rare comics don't always make a profit. Steve Geppi, the Baltimore comic book magnate, agreed in 2006 to pay $1 million for a collection of original Archie Comics artwork from the 1940s and '50s. But when Geppi tried to sell some of his newly acquired pieces, he realized they weren't nearly as valuable as he had believed. By 2010, Geppi was claiming he couldn't afford to pay the remaining half-million he still owed the Archie artist's estate.
There are many theories for why comic collectibles have stopped being valuable. Some blame readily available reprints. "What drove the collectibility of the old comics was that they were once genuinely rare," says Salkowitz. Others point to the grading system, which now requires that comics be encased in plastic polymer. "It really is a shady process that's completely changed the marketplace," says Santoro. And there's reason to suspect that the Internet era has yet again worked its magic on prices: "In the '60s, the only way to read these stories was to own the original issues," says Salkowitz. "Now you can go on Pirate Bay and download a torrent of anything you want for free."
Opinions are equally mixed on whether the comic collecting bubble has permanently burst. McDevitt alternates between stories that are hopeless and optimistic. He jokes that after a year of turning down collectors trying to sell their worthless comics, he's realized he would make a great doctor: "I'm apparently very good at giving people bad news." But he also has a fondness for the rags-to-riches stories that built up the myth of comics' value. Just ask him about the elderly widow who brought in her late husband's comic collection and "was literally car shopping the next day." Or the couple who paid for the adoption of their first child with profits from the husband's old comics.
As for Barry T. Smith, he's now gainfully employed as a senior product manager at Milyoni, and he still has one comic from the collection he sold for a pittance: Alien Legion No. 1. "It was the comic book that started me on my path to collecting," he says.
According to the Overstreet Price Guide, today it's worth approximately $3.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am 

Interesting read, thanks Mike :)

I see a couple parellels, price being determined by the supply  & demand equation... and the demographic of the typical collector is skewing older.  I have to think the long-term price trend of most rpg items is lower.

That said, very few used rpgs from the last couple decades sell for even cover price, and I would think many of the 70s / early 80s items that sell over their cover price, don't sell for more than a new comparable item would - e.g. a very nice Holmes set is still cheaper than a new LotFP or Astonishing Swordsmen box set new.   

The iconic stuf is a different story - I'd love a first print woodie, and even at several thousand bucks probably would only appreciate.  But most of the rpg items produced, I buy/collect/read/game because I love them :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:38 pm 

Hey Mike

Comics back issues are indeed dead.  I still own a comic store (going on 25 years now) and back issue sales are non-existent.  The collectability of comics is zero and is based not on the death of dead tree media so much or lack of interest; it is most likely due to the creation of reprint graphic novels.  Graphic novels have decimated back issue, they are awesome at he retailer level because they are rarely discounted, have a higher price point and contain full stories; we sell hundreds of these in our store every month.  

Sales have gone down dramatically on new comics as well and this too can be attributed to the popularity of graphic novels. For example we will sell more copies of Walking Dead or Bone graphic novels in a month than we ever sold of the original series and these sales are pretty consistent month to month.  Sales overall in the comic store are way down since the speculators came in a lost all there money, we used to have literally hundreds of customers that would buy 3-5 copies of each comic of a particular series (like X-men or Spiderman) to sell in the future.  These guys are gone and their collections are driving down value of those series.

Games on the other hand!!  There are no series speculators (on the scale of the comic guys anyway).  Nobody comes in and buys ten copies o the newest releases and sits on them.  Gamers play with there stuff for the most part making the future is high grade gaming collectables very bright.  The big similarities between comics and games as collectable will be the vast difference in values between the low grade "gamer" copy and the high grade "collector copy".   We see that now :  try and get $50 for a run down S1, it may happen but $50 for a MINT SW S1 would be a smoking bargain!!  Also their seems to be a resurgence in gaming these last few years, high quality product, older and younger gamers getting into it! Our hobby has a brilliant and bright future.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 pm 

Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Ok I thought this was in interesting article so I wanted to see if there could be a discussion and thus didn't post it at the end of the last off topic thread.  I think there are a few parallels between this and game collecting but was surprised to see how much they really didn't match.  Read the article and come back to discuss....basically the gist is how people who collected comics the last 20 or so years are finding out their collections aren't worth much today when they attempt to sell them...

Those Comics in Your Basement? Probably Worthless - Businessweek

Barry T. Smith, 44, spent most of his life collecting comic books. And he always considered them an investment. "These books would someday be college tuition, or a house down payment," Smith remembers thinking. "I would lay them all out in my parents' living room, sorting them, cataloging them, writing down entries on graph paper while cross-referencing them against the Overstreet Price Guide."
After college he landed a tech job in Silicon Valley but held on to all 1,200 of his comics, including several hundred early issues of Marvel's X-Men, which his research suggested had grown in value every year. The comics sat in a storage unit, boarded and bagged, for close to two decades. When Smith found himself unemployed and in need of money to support his wife and two daughters, he decided the time was right to cash in on his investment.
The entire collection sold for about $500. "I'm not too proud to admit, I cried a bit," Smith says.
He's not the only would-be investor who's discovered in recent years that his comic collection isn't worth nearly as much as he'd hoped. Kevin J. Maroney, 47, of Yonkers, N.Y., decided to sell 10,000 comics, roughly a third of his collection, on consignment with various comic book stores in Manhattan. Thus far, fewer than 300 have sold for a total of about $800. He's not surprised by the lack of interest. "A lot of people my age, who grew up collecting comics, are trying to sell their collections now," says Maroney, who works in IT support for Piper Jaffray. "But there just aren't any buyers anymore."
Frank Santoro, a columnist for the Comics Journal and an avid collector himself, has noticed the same trend. "More and more of these types of collections are showing up for sale," he says. "And they're becoming more and more devalued. The prices are dropping." He recently had to break the bad news to a friend's uncle, who was convinced his comic collection—about 3,000 books—was worth at least $23,000. "I told him it was probably more like $500," Santoro says. "And a comic book store would probably only offer him $200."
Stories like these are a stark contrast to what's typically reported. To go by media accounts, 2013 has been a huge year for the vintage comic market. A Minnesota man found a copy of Action Comics No. 1—the first appearance of Superman, published in 1938—in a wall of his house and sold it for $175,000 in June. Three decades ago a different copy of the same comic sold for about $5,000, a record at the time. In August, meanwhile, Heritage Auctions hosted a comic-oriented event in Dallas where a highly-graded copy of the 1940 comic Batman No. 1 sold for a staggering $567,625. A recent piece on the Wall Street Journal's MarketWatch website was especially enthusiastic about comics as an investment strategy, calling them "more predictable than stocks" and "recession-proof." Old comics, the author suggested, could even save your home from foreclosure.
Outlandish claims and tales of amazing windfalls elicit only groans from Rob Salkowitz, a business analyst and author of Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture. He also happens to be, in his own words, "a guy in his 40s with a basement full of old comics." He warns that too many people have been deluded into thinking they are sitting on a comic book gold mine.
"There are two markets for comic books," Salkowitz says. "There's the market for gold-plated issues with megawatt cultural significance, which sell for hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars. But that's a very, very, very limited market. If a Saudi sheik decides he needs Action Comics No. 1, there are only a few people out there who have a copy." And then there's the other market, where most comics change hands for pennies and nobody is getting rich or even breaking even. "The entire back-issues market is essentially a Ponzi scheme," Salkowitz says. "It's been managed and run that way for 35 years."
Bill Boichel, the owner of Pittsburgh's Copacetic Comics, argues that transactions involving high-profile vintage comics happen in an entirely separate market. "Ultra-high-grade books sell for as much or more than ever to doctors, lawyers, brokers, and bankers," he says. Comics like The Amazing Spider-Man No. 1—an Ohio man recently auctioned a copy for $7,900 to help pay for his daughter's wedding—are considered a "blue chip stock of high liquidity, in that there is always a ready buyer for it."
On the other end of the spectrum, almost any comic book store owner can supply eye-opening tales of depreciation. Walter Durajlija, an adviser for Overstreet and owner of Big B Comics in Hamilton, Ont., sold a copy of Uncanny X-Men No. 94 in 2010 for a record $26,500. Last year, that same comic sold in his store for only $12,000. "[My] last two sales [of X-Men No. 94] were $9,501 in February of 2013 and $8,089 three short days later," he says. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. "Incredible Hulk No. 181 was getting $20,000; they now trade for $8,000."
Todd McDevitt, who owns a chain of five comic book stores in Pennsylvania, remembers when Superman No. 75, published in 1992 and featuring the death of the hero, was selling for $75. Today, collectors are lucky to get $8. "I still get calls from folks who think they can retire after buying what they thought was the ‘last' Superman," McDevitt says. (Death, of course, proved only a temporary setback for the Man of Steel and his comics.)
Even investors buying rare comics don't always make a profit. Steve Geppi, the Baltimore comic book magnate, agreed in 2006 to pay $1 million for a collection of original Archie Comics artwork from the 1940s and '50s. But when Geppi tried to sell some of his newly acquired pieces, he realized they weren't nearly as valuable as he had believed. By 2010, Geppi was claiming he couldn't afford to pay the remaining half-million he still owed the Archie artist's estate.
There are many theories for why comic collectibles have stopped being valuable. Some blame readily available reprints. "What drove the collectibility of the old comics was that they were once genuinely rare," says Salkowitz. Others point to the grading system, which now requires that comics be encased in plastic polymer. "It really is a shady process that's completely changed the marketplace," says Santoro. And there's reason to suspect that the Internet era has yet again worked its magic on prices: "In the '60s, the only way to read these stories was to own the original issues," says Salkowitz. "Now you can go on Pirate Bay and download a torrent of anything you want for free."
Opinions are equally mixed on whether the comic collecting bubble has permanently burst. McDevitt alternates between stories that are hopeless and optimistic. He jokes that after a year of turning down collectors trying to sell their worthless comics, he's realized he would make a great doctor: "I'm apparently very good at giving people bad news." But he also has a fondness for the rags-to-riches stories that built up the myth of comics' value. Just ask him about the elderly widow who brought in her late husband's comic collection and "was literally car shopping the next day." Or the couple who paid for the adoption of their first child with profits from the husband's old comics.
As for Barry T. Smith, he's now gainfully employed as a senior product manager at Milyoni, and he still has one comic from the collection he sold for a pittance: Alien Legion No. 1. "It was the comic book that started me on my path to collecting," he says.
According to the Overstreet Price Guide, today it's worth approximately $3.

Mike B.

A near mint copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 (first Spiderman) was selling for $900 in 1983 and $48,000 in 1993 (just before the collapse of comic book sales) but it is still an expensive and easily resellable comic. Golden Age superhero comics (pre-1960) and Silver Age superhero comics (pre-1972) have never lost their value and have been steadily increasing in price.

In the 1990's they produced a glut of comics and generally comics from the 1980's through now have little value, but look for any superhero comic from the 1940s and '50s and you will see high demand and high prices.

That Alien Legion #1 isn't worth $3 its probably worthless. The idiot who spent $1 million on archie comcis was just insane. There is some demand for the older copies, but very limited. If he spent a million just cherry picking highgrade golden and silver age comics he'd be making a profit. You can still find some gems and even ones produced in the last 20 years like the intro to Hellboy but those are few and far between.

A friend of mine does well buying high grade Silver Age superhero comics but he normally puts about $5 - $10 thousand out on these for about a 50% return in his investment over his cost. He knows what he is doing with grading the books and has a list of customers looking for certain books and certain character series so he isn't just buying blind. He still takes a big risk on running a collectibles business and some books just sit and sit without finding a retail customer.

If you buy a collection to read and enjoy don't think of it as an investment. Even older books that are collectible issues such as the introduction to characters can be hard to sell if the condition isn't near perfect.

In some ways it is similar to gaming items, but the wider popularity and greater age of comic books makes the market for them very different. You can run a collectible comic book business. If the silicon valley had bought 12 older superhero comics in high grade shape when he was 24 he would have made a profit on his tiny collection. Instead he had 1,200 copies of overproduced comics. It would be like having 1,200 copies of B2 or X1 modules and thinking he was going to get the same price for them as a Wood Grain.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:59 pm 

Anyone else seeing the message below when viewing the forums?

Error 503 :  Service Temporarily Unavailable

Saw this all weekend from home.  I Could access the site from work first thing,  but now the same message appears - PC/Mac chrome, ie, and safari.

Can only access from my phone browser on 4g.

Strange.  :(

I did notice my forum runner app on iPhone stopped working the same time.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 pm 

Situation resolved.  Many thanks to Scott. :)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 pm 

Chatbot slays the Smarm!  News at 11.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 am 

FoulFoot wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Chatbot slays the Smarm!  News at 11.

Foul

:D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 am 

bbarsh wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
FoulFoot wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Chatbot slays the Smarm!  News at 11.

Foul

:D

I declared my action to cast a spell, lost initiative, and then rolled a '1' against an opposed Spiritwrack saving throw. ;)

Be warned!!! Chatbot knows your name, your true name.   8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:12 pm 

smarmy1 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:

I declared my action to cast a spell, lost initiative, and then rolled a '1' against an opposed Spiritwrack saving throw. ;)

Be warned!!! Chatbot knows your name, your true name.   8O

I prayed to Chatbot this weekend during the 4th quarter of the Cowboys game and they won...Chatbot has many, many powers.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 am 

"New" Jeeves and Wooster book. Sounds good :)

Jeeves and the Wedding Bells by Sebastian Faulks -- review | Books | The Guardian

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 pm 

Anyone else just scratching their heads at this one?

Mike B.

Gail Carpenter Gygax
GYGAX MEMORIAL FUND ANNOUNCES INTERACTIVE MUSEUM PROJECT WITH GAMES LEARNING SOCIETY'S MIKE BEALL AND TEAM

Gygax Memorial Fund update: While we continue our efforts to raise funds for the building of the Gygax Memorial statue, we have been busy at work with our other goals related to the Gygax Memorial Fund's 501(c)(3) status, one of which is to educate the public regarding Gary's contribution to role-play gaming. We are thrilled to announce that Gygax Games, working with staff at the Gygax Memorial Fund, are collaborating with Mike Beall and his team of the Games Learning Society in order to develop a museum project honoring the legacy of E. Gary Gygax, the creator of role playing games. This collaboration will focus on interactive game-based learning within a museum environment, while at the same time highlighting the historical significance of Gary Gygax's contribution to modern gaming.

E. Gary Gygax is best-known as the creator of the game Dungeons & Dragons, which spawned an entire RPG industry. Mike and his team will be assisting the Gygax Memorial Fund in project consultation, planning and development as related to our educational goal. We are honored that Mike and the Games Learning Society team have a passion for the memory of E. Gary Gygax and will be working with us on this museum project.

Mike Beall is a Game Designer and Artist working with the Games Learning Society at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2010 Mike was recruited to Games Learning Society by Professor Kurt Squire to create artwork for the Systems Biology game Virulent. Mike went on to lead design and development for several Games Learning Society projects including the Stem Cell game Progenitor X and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation games Tenacity and Crystals of Kaydor, which are designed to promote empathy and pro-social behavior in middle school students. In addition to direct involvement with design and development of many Games Learning Society games, Mike also works with local schools and community centers where he conducts playtests, interviews, and focus group tests.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:22 am 

Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Anyone else just scratching their heads at this one?

Mike B.

So, this will be a roving exhibit that museums can invite to showcase Gygax and rpg's?  Usually these roving exhibits charge a fee to cover their expenses, so it's usually not a big money maker, but it could spread their viewpoint or passion.  If I am correct so far, what's got you scratching your head?  Is it that you don't anticipate many museums inviting this exhibit in the first place?  Or that it's too difficult to share a rpg experience/viewpoint from museum displays?  Or something else?

Personally, it sounds like a decent idea at first glance, but I really can't see many museums actually interested in something like this.  It's just too narrow an appeal.  If they broadened it to the "world of imagination" or "the evolution of games" or something like that, and made rpgs one of the exhibits, it would make more cents and get more attention.  They could even partner with Hasbro or Mattel or some big toy industry heavyweight I would think.  Or maybe I am being too pragmatic.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:22 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Anyone else just scratching their heads at this one?

Mike B.

So, this will be a roving exhibit that museums can invite to showcase Gygax and rpg's?  Usually these roving exhibits charge a fee to cover their expenses, so it's usually not a big money maker, but it could spread their viewpoint or passion.  If I am correct so far, what's got you scratching your head?  Is it that you don't anticipate many museums inviting this exhibit in the first place?  Or that it's too difficult to share a rpg experience/viewpoint from museum displays?  Or something else?

Personally, it sounds like a decent idea at first glance, but I really can't see many museums actually interested in something like this.  It's just too narrow an appeal.  If they broadened it to the "world of imagination" or "the evolution of games" or something like that, and made rpgs one of the exhibits, it would make more cents and get more attention.  They could even partner with Hasbro or Mattel or some big toy industry heavyweight I would think.  Or maybe I am being too pragmatic.   :?

The choice of "interactive game based learning within a museum environment" isn't D&D, which Gary became famous for....it's a lot of buzzwords.  It's good they are highlighting Gary's contribution to modern gaming (which I assume is going to be focus on Roleplaying....or is it?), so they are going to have a full-time dungeonmaster traveling with the museum project to run games for kids?  Or is it something else?  Unless there is considerable attention on Gary and D&D in particular, I fail to see how this honors his legacy.   It sounds way too general and mass appeal to be that, from what I am reading into the description.

The man in charge, Mike Beall is a game designer with a decided lack of RPG games to his credit (apologies to Mike Beall, if I am talking out of my ass someone here please let me know) and what appears to be a portfolio of very "un-D&D like" games to his credit (promote empathy and pro-social behavior????).  They couldn't find someone with even slight ties to the industry?  "Games Learning Society" seems like something the teacher's pet goody goody kids did with smiling adult approval as the rest of us degenerates rolled the funny polyhedral dice after school and killed orcs and took their treasures as the parents wondered if we were doing something "satanic".  I am getting a completely parent-approved, scrubbed-clean image here that is NOT the D&D I know and love....

It sounds like another gigantic boondogle and another questionable direction and decison from Gail and whoever else at this point is in charge of the game company that never releases any games, Gygax Games.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:12 pm 

I found the following to be much more telling (Facebook posts by Gygax Memorial Fund):

"I am starting GYGAX CON (tm) a mini con within conventions throughtout the world to raise funds for the Gygax Memorial, a 501 c3 Corp. dedicated to our mandate of building Garys monument and the educational aspects of role playing games.

Gygax Con is the only sanctioned convention to raise money for the Gygax Memorial Fund."

-- Gail, 08 Nov

and

"The first Gygax Con, in conjunction with Gygax Games and the Gygax Memorial Fund will hold a special event at the Breadloaf Book store in Lake Geneva on Saturday March 29th from 6pm until ?... The Gygax Memorial Fund will be sponsoring the event and all proceeds go to building Garys Monument."

-- Gail, 09 Nov

Where to start...

1. Improper use of trademark. It should be GygaxCon(tm) [noun]; a trademark is always an adjectival modifier in US law.

2. Improper claim of trademark, unless there's been a Filing we don't know about (and see point 1; if an attorney is involved he wouldn't let this misuse occur).

3. So other game conventions are not permitted to raise money for the memorial fund... but I thought the fund needed funding... so why cut off all other potential funding via game cons? If a game con raises money for the memorial fund, will they be sued? What if they collect money in a jar and then donate it via the website? etc etc...

4. So Gygax Con is a game convention that won't be held anywhere at any time... except as a subdivision within another con (or as a sponsor of a non-convention event, such as the one advertised)? Most cons have IP/identity/ownership/legal factors which could prevent such simultaneous/nested operation. In any event it would require specific guidelines for such (which very probably do not exist) from the Memorial Fund, legal review (costs), a formal contract between Gail and the Con (costs), and possibly a minimum donation (costs/losses). Doesn't look attractive at all imho. :/

5. Saturday night at GaryCon is one of the busiest times there; 6 pm is typically an auction and dinner of sorts, with booked-solid games starting at 6 or 7. Who wants to go downtown during primetime?

6. "All proceeds" to the fund for the Breadloaf event... interesting. Zero costs to cover? It's possible I guess. If ANY of the fundraising goes toward costs, even one single dollar, this will be proven false (which would in turn torpedo future fundraising solicitations).

This appears to be a (feeble) 'power play' to try to trademark the Gygax name (reference Gail's opposition to the rest of the family and GaryCon).

Next