Recent Fun Finds
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 am 

Dave,

Congrats on some really nice pick ups there.  The Companions work is some of my absolute favorite, especially Brotherhood of the Bolt (a book I've used dozens of times).  Do you already have Curse on Hareth?

I also love the Bard Games stuff, from my home state!

~throwi

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:45 pm 

What a wonderful find David! Congrats!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:03 am 

Thanks everyone, I was very lucky.  I'm still working my through, reading, identifying prints, making my own notes, etc.  Totally enjoyable :)

I was asked about about one of the magazines and since there was a minor link to another part of the collection, I thought I'd share a couple more pics.  

The magazine is Realms, published in the early 90s, by Soldiers & Swords in New York:

There was a short feature on Slythe, the Marauding Wyrm, produced by the same company as a limited edition item:

Which led my to root through my some-day-I'm-gonna-paint-these collection, and I found this:

I doubt 2000 boxed minis really means "Limited" in the colloquial sense, but I enjoy making connections like these as I discover yet another new-to-me corner of the hobby :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:53 am 

I've heard about these skateboards before but this is the first one I've run across and was able to purchase.  It has never been used but the varnish(??) that covers the top of the skateboard has really started to bubble.  I'm not sure if it was exposed to sunlight for an extended period or what but I'd love to find a way to refinish it.  Under this top coating, the picture has great coloring.  The wheels still look great and there is still some of the original plastic wrap stuck beneath the plastic pieces.

Anyone know how to refinish one?

Carpe DM!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:47 am 

I almost bid of that one.. I had to stop and remind myself only printed stuff Brett, don't need to start expanding what I collect;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:40 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Recent Fun Finds:I almost bid of that one.. I had to stop and remind myself only printed stuff Brett, don't need to start expanding what I collect;)

Hey Brett, the board is printed at the end of the day...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:44 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Recent Fun Finds:I almost bid of that one.. I had to stop and remind myself only printed stuff Brett, don't need to start expanding what I collect;)

It is amazing what happens when your initial collection list gets down to nearly complete... I find myself looking at mugs, pins, and other non-printed things, wondering how they'd look on my shelf.   :D

Restraint, a tricky beast.

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:20 pm 

I understand!  LOL

My kids like to skateboard so I hoped to use it to get them interested in trying one of my favorite pastimes.  Plus it was relatively cheap.  Shipping was more than the actual board.

I've found that I've hoarded far more of the non-printed stuff than I ever intended.  My addiction gets carried away at times.   :oops:

Carpe DM!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:42 pm 

That was the one in the UK?  I almost bid on it too and would have had it shipped to my brother who lives there :)  But then I asked myself do I really need a skateboard like this.  Also my wife said no because she wants a longboard not one of these.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:45 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Recent Fun Finds:The magazine is Realms, published in the early 90s, by Soldiers & Swords in New York:

This magazine probably originally came in the FantaCity boxed sets by Soldiers & Swords.  I'd have to double check if there was more than 1 issue or not.  Here's a pic of one of the boxed sets:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

There are a number of different sets that all use the same box.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:01 pm 

Wizard's Bane by B. Dennis Sustare

All the minis were there but no box. A bonus find were the two generals that come with the first TSR Battle System boxed set.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 pm 

I was pretty pleased when this arrived... a bargain from NK :)  

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:48 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Recent Fun Finds:I was pretty pleased when this arrived... a bargain from NK :)

That cant be possible... you wanted to write "a bargain for Nk", didnt you?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:17 am 

Lol!  I was surprised it lasted actually.  It was listed as fair + but had no photo.  I figured for $25 I could take a chance.  I am very pleased with the condition - some wear/splitting/fuzziness along the spine and a smudge on the cover, but overall a nice piece and a bargain to boot :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:16 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Recent Fun Finds:Lol!  I was surprised it lasted actually.  It was listed as fair + but had no photo.  I figured for $25 I could take a chance.  I am very pleased with the condition - some wear/splitting/fuzziness along the spine and a smudge on the cover, but overall a nice piece and a bargain to boot :)

Nicely picked up.

I have a sneaking suspicion that might've glitched if they - presumably not Aaron? - followed the item template from a previous sale, a long, long time ago (which turned out to be Jim Ward's early 1st print, into the bargain).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:59 pm 

Just picked up an odd lot of books and miniatures but the nice item was the Ral Partha pewter set Bridge of Sorrows. Loose but almost complete. Has everything but the centaurs shield.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 pm 

I'm not much into miniatures but that is really nice.  Would be incredible is Blackmoor's wife got a hold of it!!

Martin

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:55 am 

JasonZavoda wrote in Recent Fun Finds:Just picked up an odd lot of books and miniatures but the nice item was the Ral Partha pewter set Bridge of Sorrows. Loose but almost complete. Has everything but the centaurs shield.

[ Image ]

that's great! that was a nice Dragon cover too

PreviousNext