Geomorphs correction?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:10 pm 

While browsing through the Dungeon late 1978/early 1979 Hobby Shop catalog I bought from Jason Pipes, I ran across what appears to be a correction for our TSR geomorphs info:

Dungeon Geomorphs are listed with four sets: the three we already have (Basic, Caves & Caverns, Lower Dungeons), as well as a fourth set "Rooms, Chambers & Passages - Set Four ... Future Release".  This set is mentioned at the Acaeum as an unpublished Outdoor Geomorphs expansion @ Outdoor Geomorphs but it should be moved over to the page at Dungeon Geomorphs instead.

The Outdoor Geos entry in the catalog lists the usual Castle/Fortress and Ruins as sets 2 and 3, with no future release listed as a corresponding set 4.  

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm 

Placed into my to-do file!

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:24 pm 

grodog wrote in Geomorphs correction?:While browsing through the Dungeon late 1978/early 1979 Hobby Shop catalog I bought from Jason Pipes,

What does the cover of this catalog look like? I'd love to get a scan of the Holmes Basic advertisement in it if it's a catalog I haven't seen before.

I ran across what appears to be a correction for our TSR geomorphs info:

Dungeon Geomorphs are listed with four sets: the three we already have (Basic, Caves & Caverns, Lower Dungeons), as well as a fourth set "Rooms, Chambers & Passages - Set Four ... Future Release".  This set is mentioned at the Acaeum as an unpublished Outdoor Geomorphs expansion @ Outdoor Geomorphs but it should be moved over to the page at Dungeon Geomorphs instead.

The Outdoor Geos entry in the catalog lists the usual Castle/Fortress and Ruins as sets 2 and 3, with no future release listed as a corresponding set 4.  

They must have changed this at some point, because the first print Holmes Basic rulebook (~July 1977) has the Set Four: Room, Chambers and Passages product as an Outdoor Geomorph in the product list. So perhaps the info should be left on the Outdoor Geomorph page, but also added to the Dungeon Geomorph page, with some explanatory notes?

Here's another fun tidbit related to the development of these. In Stragetic Review #5, Dec 1975, the column Mapping the Dungeons mentions: "Another idea in the pot is geomorphic dungeon maps. Let us know what you think of these, and feel free to make additional suggestions. We want to publish what you want most."

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement