looking for input - an experiment in long term storage
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:57 pm 

*I know we've got a few threads on storage materials, I think this is pushing it quite a bit further.

I'll be moving abroad for 3-4 years this summer.  This has prompted me to start planning for the long term storage of my collection.  I really hate to do it, but I don't believe I have an option other than having the movers pack it up and hope it makes it across the ocean un-stolen, dry, all the while uninsured.  I'm going to put this here as sanity check and also hoping people can add their 2 cents either to give me more options or tell me where I could do more.

I've waxed back and forth on boxes.  I've got a bunch of SmoothMove Classic (Small) Bankers Boxes I was planning on putting all my boxed sets into.  I've also got a bunch of the standard BCW Magazine sized storage boxes where I keep all my module sized stuff.  I think what I've settled on however are STERILITE 32qt gasket boxes.  While pricey, they are solid plastic, will seal near-air tight, and be rodent and bug proof.  Both cardboard boxes are prone to silverfish and other pest/rodent issues, not waterproof, the Bankers Boxes are not archival quality, etc.  The gasket boxes are made from polypropylene and polyethylene which seems to be safe from issues like acid rot and off-gassing (they are food-safe).  For frame of reference, I'll probably need somewhere just north of around 48 of these.  The cost is a flinch-worthy, but I can absorb it based on what is being stored.

I'll be placing 11x14 cardboard inserts at the bottom of the STERILITE boxes as they have a ridge that runs all around the bottom and I want to ensure no long term damage to the contents due to resting on pressure points.  Books will get an layer of bubble wrap and be placed spine down and packed tight enough for them to hold themselves upright.  The cardboard insert sort of negates some of the benefit of the plastic storage material, but I figure its a single 1/8th slice at the bottom of the storage bin and everything will be bagged so no direct contact.  These boxes also have grooves for hanging file folders, so I figured I'd put 4 to 5 modules in a folder and then pack the box with those.

Every item in my collection is currently in some type or flavor of BCW bag, modules all with acid free backer boards.

I've got a sampling of 50g bag silica gel bags coming along with humidity cards to try out.  I think I read that for an 8 gallon enclosure, about 50g are needed.  Since this will be largely unattended storage, I'm hoping going 100g per container will get me through 3 years.  I'm not 100% on that though as my research hasn't led me anywhere conclusively on volume vs. duration, since humidity is such a large variable.

I'll be renting out a climate controlled storage unit.  All boxes will go on pallets.  Sheets tossed over the boxes.  For reference, this will be in the SE part of the United States.  High heat and high humidity summers, mostly mild the rest of the year.

I've contacted American Collector's Insurance to find out about insurance, but they will only cover up to $100,000 in a storage unit.  I'm well over that number.  My primary concern is theft.  Fire also I suppose, but pretty much anything else is not covered (bugs, humidity damage, etc.).  And they also have stipulations that no one else other than myself should have access to it (so no leaving a key with a friend to check up on stuff).  For our normal household stuff, we'll be relying on military contracted moving companies.  The insured limit there is $50,000 and there are weight limits.  Ideally, I'd be able to take all of this with me, but finding insurance to cover both the move and OCONUS collection coverage has turned out to be impossible.

I also briefly looked into cellular security camera solutions but eventually wrote that off since if anything goes wrong technically with the solution there is no fixing it remotely.

What am I missing or doing wrong?  EDIT - other than just immediately selling everything and calling it a day.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:46 pm 

What you do with your collection is your business, but I'd consider other options for several reasons.  First, as you point out, insurance is an issue, second, you are only going to be overseas for 3-4 years, third, all the cost and trouble of shipping everything, and finally, the weather and bugs of the SE US.

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider some other possibilities which might moderate your situation.  For example, why move everything or even most of it?  Have you considered leaving most of it with relatives or even a storage unit near your current residence?  If you took less than $50,000.00 worth of stuff, than that takes care of the storage unit insurance limits and probably the weight limits.  

While 3-4 years seems like a long time, it's not that long when pdfs are available for many publications.  I would take/bring most rules books, dice and other functional materials for gaming, but leave high priced and/or shrink items at/near home.  Insurance resolution in the US is not usually easy or straight-forward; pick your insurance company and appraiser carefully.  Plus, dividing your collection means if something goes wrong in one location, the other half probably survives.  Nothing is guaranteed anywhere.

I live in the SE US and the weather and bugs are legit issues.  Silverfish love to eat paper and the humidity is often oppressive.  Storage units are usually reliable, but not always.  Tornadoes and lightning storms are the major natural disasters where I live, but two hours east or south and hurricanes are a possibility.

You joke about selling, but that is a realistic option considering that the market is hot right now.  I am not recommending you sell everything, or even most everything, but even  if you sold several higher priced items, it could significantly reduce insurance costs and, most important, worries about losses.  Take the money from the sale of those items and history shows that, with few exceptions, money invested will grow faster than the value of collectibles.  At a later date, with a lot of patience, you , theoretically, could buy back much of what you decide you want to own again.  Of course that's risky, but loss by thieves, fire, aging, and bugs is also risky.  You are exchanging one set of risks for others.  This line of thinking resulted in me selling off several items in my own collection recently.  I realize this is probably not popular with most people on these forums, but it's something to think about.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do, but you asked for feedback, and here's my one set of thoughts.  I wish you the best.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:34 pm 

Storage locker with gun safes.

A reputable storage locker company is going to have cameras etc. Sure, they might not insure against smash and grabs, but it would look Horrible if folks were able to back up the equipment needed to get three 1200lbs gun safes into the back of a truck. Get three, or whatever, but at least one more than you actually need. Sell some things if you need to finance the safes.

A 60" x 24.5" x 30" will cost about $1500 each. You could fit 100 box sets or 100s of modules in one. Yes, you may need to come up with $4500 or so now, but you can sell them for 1/2 when you get back. This is cheaper than insurance. Yes, you will still have risk, but there is always risk. Most home owners insurance only covers 10k. Gun safes in a commercial/nationwide storage locker chain's establishment is safer than a lot of places.

Also, use plastic mailers, or those clear plastic matting bags. They are awesome. They will reduce/eliminate any air flow, and added moisture. You can fit several modules per.

Golden State Art, Pack of 100 11 1/4 x 14 1/8 Clear Bags for 11x14 Mat Matting

iMBAPrice Poly Mailers Shipping Envelopes Bags, 10 x 13 - inches , 100 Bags (Blue)

Keep in mind, I base this on nothing but what I think I would do if I were put in this situation and had 30 mins to think about it. :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:27 am 

I would vote for leaving your stuff (near to) where it is. You are talking about moving it all to the U.S.A. I'm sure you've already thought about this, but then you'll have to move it back again. Handling & moving are not good for collectables. I also think that absence may make the heart grow fonder. I would imagine it would be like Christmas for a week if you moved back home again and started looking through your collection that you had left behind. Good luck with everything.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:36 am 

There is always the option of intermingling it with my collection here in New England.....

I'll watch it for you. No problem.

Seriously, though.
My collection is in magazine files (modules and magazines) in the 66 qt. Sterilite containers as well, but not the rubber seal ones. They do fine there for me.
The books stand up in these well too, But Damn they get heavy quick.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:15 am 

You could rent a large size bank safety deposit box, or two, to put some of the most valuable items in.  Then put the rest in storage as you proposed.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:51 pm 

You seem to be spending a huge amount of money to keep it when it doesnt seem you've investigated insurance well enough?

I think you should try and get your collection value under the minimum (or find new insurance).

This storage locker thing seems like legitimate lunacy - though I'm not american so maybe its more normalised there.

I'd think there was less risk with an insured moving group than with the storage locker. I've had over a 100k GBP in art insured in moves before no problem, i imagine they'd cover you as well. Unless you feel some of your collection is truly irreplacable - which at that value perhaps it is?!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 pm 

The insurance limit in a standard storage facility is pretty standard. No one is likely to go higher than that. You may be able to find a high end storage facility (that caters to people storing gold and art and such) but I'd expect the monthly cost and insurance to be prohibitive.

I've had things in long term storage before, but it was in a much more forgiving climate (NorCal). What you're proposing should be fine.

Trying to take it with you seems riskier, IMO.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:25 pm 

It seems you are a person of some means. Why not rent a small apartment close to where you live now and get renters insurance that covers everything? Short-term storage boxes become a non-issue (heck, you can even use your own bookcases or cabinets), you can have somebody check up on it (it is your apartment while you rent it after all), and climate control shouldn't be an issue (most places have property managers in case something happens). Even a small apartment would be three times bigger than a storage unit.

I also like the idea of talking some of (or all) your most valuable stuff with you, Reduces risk and safeguards your treasures.

Not sure if this works at all but I also do not think taking it with you is the best option.

Good luck with your overseas assignment.

Héctor.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 pm 

shadeun wrote in looking for input - an experiment in long term storage:This storage locker thing seems like legitimate lunacy - though I'm not american so maybe its more normalised there.

These play a part in the biography of American philosopher/activist Madeline Murray O'Hair. After her kidnapping, extortion, & murder, the killers put the loot (gold coins) into a storage locker. A short time later, thieves opened it at random & spent most of it in Las Vegas. The killers suspected each other, leading to another murder. So no, not normal here either.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:07 pm 

sauromatian wrote in looking for input - an experiment in long term storage:
These play a part in the biography of American philosopher/activist Madeline Murray O'Hair. After her kidnapping, extortion, & murder, the killers put the loot (gold coins) into a storage locker. A short time later, thieves opened it at random & spent most of it in Las Vegas. The killers suspected each other, leading to another murder. So no, not normal here either.

Perhaps, but the military community is fairly transient.  The government will store whatever I want free of charge but it’s not climate controlled, capped at $50k insurance, and notoriously prone to things disappearing.  This coupled with other limiting factors makes it pretty normal/common to use some kind of longer term temporary storage.

I thought I did a fairly decent job researching insurance.  Art is one thing, but "Dungeons and Dragons" is not considered art by most and as someone else pointed out, $100k seems to be industry standard for storage that is not at you primary residence.  I did not do any research into insurance in my rental overseas though.  Once I ruled out taking it with me, that seemed to be a moot point.

The rent an apartment idea was interesting, but a storage unit is about $100 a month.  Not touching anything remotely livable for that amount in this area.  I did ask a close friend to store it, but he declined - too much space and similar concerns with his property insurance.  I do have family across country who I've asked, so we'll see how that goes.

I don't know about "well off".  Its interesting, there's an inflection point somewhere when this conversation was stupid in my head and now the cost is deemed an "acceptable loss".  I have no idea where that point is but I seem to be well past it.  So yes, "a touch absurd" is probably correct.

Lots of good ideas here, thanks everyone, keep them coming.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:54 pm 

shadeun wrote in looking for input - an experiment in long term storage:Y

This storage locker thing seems like legitimate lunacy - though I'm not american so maybe its more normalised there.

You aren't wrong. But there are a lot of gun safes to be bought. Most people with gun safes use them for a lot more than guns, like documents, collectables, coins etc.

Of course we are talking about a DnD collection with more than six figures. Many, outside of the forum, would say it is all lunacy. :)

Whatever you do, dont feel bad about investing 2%-3$% of the value of the collection in its security.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:57 am 

Not sure how long they would store it but would PODS be viable?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:43 pm 

BITD when I was in the AF stationed in Central America working in air freight we had this captain who was a real jerk.   When he transferred back to CONUS one of my squadron mates "accidently" shipped all of his household goods to Guatemala.

The owls are not what they seem...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:54 am 

FWIW, i thought about this more and I think bring it with you and insure it. Honestly, unless you've got a thousand modules and no woodys/other huge value pieces, im guessing that 80% of the value is in 20% of the collection (or perhaps 90/10 split?)

Leave the rest in the locker.

Bring the expensive stuff with you when you go and dont let the movers touch it if you're worried about insurance - but I do think a big moving company (which im sure you're using) will be able to cover up to a couple hundred K pretty easy based on my experience.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:30 pm 

I recently came in possession of items that were in a storage locker, standard polybags and boarded, inside magazine boxes, which were inside larger plastic storage boxes (snap lock lids). Climate controlled storage place, kinda upscale (all inside, you have to go inside the building to get to the lockers, so no driving up and just loading/unloading). Everything was in there about five years, everything is pristine. I think what you are proposing will be ok. You cannot plan of acts of God or random theft, which could happen even if your collection was with you where you live.

PS I'm not big on safes or expensive lockers/gun safes. Why? If someone DOES break into your storage locker, you don't want things to look too valuable.  Believe me they are not going to take D&D books over, say, guns or electronics, but if you have it locked up like a bank vault they might wonder, and take them just because. I think 95% of anyone who breaks into storage lockers is not looking for what you'll be storing, so you should be ok in that regard.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:36 pm 

sauromatian wrote in looking for input - an experiment in long term storage:

Those idiots put the sack full of gold coins right in the middle of the floor of an otherwise empty storage locker. If they had the tiniest modicum of intelligence they would have bought up a bunch of worthless crap from a garage sale, put it all in beat up boxes with the gold, and no one would have ever touched it....and they might never have been caught.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:52 pm 

Double post.   :oops:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Last edited by benjoshua on Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next