[eBay] Woodgrain Scam Auctions - Hacked Accounts
Author

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:22 am 

Just a quick PSA on the wire fraud scam for this fake eBay Woodgrain set. I know the discriminating collectors here would recognize wire fraud but thought I would post anyway.

shabfashion (28910 )

1975 TSR DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ORIGINAL WOODGRAIN SET 3RD PRINT CMPLT NMNM+ gygax

1975 TSR DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ORIGINAL WOODGRAIN SET 3RD PRINT CMPLT NMNM+ gygax  | eBay

I checked into the listing and emailed the seller. The story was they had a pawn shop in California, shut it down and moved to Spain while liquidating inventory. When asked for details (info(at)pawn-sales.online), they sent what appeared to be an invoice request for a wire transfer payment to a bank account in Spain. All very official looking of course.  I have the bank wire request information & fake "eBay looking" invoice but won’t re-post it here. They claimed it was covered under a eBay 30-day return guarantee which doesn’t happen outside of eBay transactions nor via email.

I called eBay to inquire. Apparently, at least 2 legitimate eBay accounts were hacked and repeatedly posted this fake Woodgrain set. One account in California and another in the UK. The California account was shut down by eBay a few weeks ago when it was reported by the original owners that the account password had been hacked. eBay also confirmed the UK account above is under investigation.

Background information:
“GO TO YOUTUBE AND SEARCH - 1975 DUNGEONS & DRAGONS WOODGRAIN SET - I HAVE A VIDEO OF THE SET FOR YOUR VIEWING TO SEE EVERY DETAIL.”
1975 TSR Dungeons and Dragons Woodgrain Set - YouTube

The video they reference in the description was actually done by D.F von Rabenau who is a legit seller on eBay. Not exactly sure where they nabbed the pictures but they’ve been used in each of the fake listings on the hacked accounts. Probably taken from a previous legitimate eBay listing? They went so far as to copy & use the store logo from a legitimate eBay seller as well. LoL
The email response via the old [email protected] address:

date: Jan 23, 2021, 4:01 PM
subject: Re: 1975 TSR DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ORIGINAL WOODGRAIN SET 3RD PRINT CMPLT NMNM+ gygax
mailed-by: pawn-sales.online

Thank you for your interest in purchasing this item at the price of US $2,100.00 (price includes shipping). The item is in perfect condition, this is a stock liquidation, I have closed my business (pawnshop) and I recently moved to Europe, Spain. Shipping will be made from my storage in US. We will complete this sale using the Purchase Protection program from eBay, which will protect us in this transaction. There is also a 30 day return policy. If you are ready to buy this item please provide me with your full shipping address & your full name, then you will be contacted by eBay with the eBay Invoice for your purchase.
Waiting you reply
Thanks!

Bottom line: Hackers are using multiple compromised eBay accounts to shill a Woodgrain set that doesn’t exist in order to obtain wire payment fraudulently. Just avoid these particular “auction” listings with these pictures. I'll continue reporting the "new" hacked accounts to eBay as I have time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 am 

Fascinating!  So, why can't the legitimate ebay seller simply delete the fake listing?  Or are they just not aware yet of the fake listing?   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:01 am 

benjoshua wrote in [eBay] Woodgrain Scam Auctions - Hacked Accounts:Fascinating!  So, why can't the legitimate ebay seller simply delete the fake listing?  Or are they just not aware yet of the fake listing?   :?

The legit sellers lost access to their own eBay accounts. Taken over by some kind of password hack. The thieves are using the stolen accounts to post fake items for wire fraud. Be careful with your passwords. Change them often. :!:

I’m not a cyber fraud investigator but I play one on tv.

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:56 pm 

Dual Authentication.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:28 pm 

Tszii wrote in [eBay] Woodgrain Scam Auctions - Hacked Accounts:Dual Authentication.

On whose part do you mean? Dual authentication could be used to prevent a hacker from taking over your account, or could be activated by the hacker after taking over your account (thus preventing you from regaining control).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:40 pm 

sauromatian wrote in [eBay] Woodgrain Scam Auctions - Hacked Accounts:
On whose part do you mean? Dual authentication could be used to prevent a hacker from taking over your account, or could be activated by the hacker after taking over your account (thus preventing you from regaining control).

Prevent.  Dual (or multi) refers to multiple required methods to access your account.  Something you know (password), something you have (a key token), or something you are (biometric).  A hacker can guess your password but would have to have physical access to your key token to log in to your account.  You may also see this as 2 factor authentication where the service sends a text message with a code to you phone.  Ok, but not as secure as a token or key fob.

Also, use phassphrases, not passwords.  A phrase is a sentence or sequence of words that meets complexity requirements -significantly harder to randomly “guess” than a standard password (terrible examples but demonstrate the point):

TheC0wj7mped9=3rTHEm00n

vs

M00n+9w

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:46 am 

Good spot on this

Twice, I’ve had expensive items up for sale over the years that I’ve received contact from a buyer. Long story short the buyer asks to send the money outside eBay for above the amount I’ve listed it for as it’s on behalf of someone as a gift etc.
Each time, I’ve drawn them in a bit to get some info and then reported them to eBay. Each time, the buyer account isn’t the original person who set it up, but a hacker who had gained access and was then trying to scam items.
eBay said each time it was from accounts that’d been dormant for some time.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:04 am 

They have it listed up again.  I think this is the fourth time I've seen this listed.  Thanks for looking into this!
Rob

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:22 am 

Zanetto wrote in [eBay] Woodgrain Scam Auctions - Hacked Accounts:They have it listed up again.  I think this is the fourth time I've seen this listed.  Thanks for looking into this!
Rob

Here it is!   :cry:   Reported to eBay; I'm curious how long it'll take for them to pull it down....

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:55 pm 

It should go without saying that you never, ever wire money to someone who doesn't share 1/2 your DNA. Even then..............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:47 am 

Thanks for posting. I saw this go up multiple times and thought it was odd at such a low price and "buy it now".

--Thor

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:37 am 

Posted up again. Beware.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 pm 

argyrebasin wrote in [eBay] Woodgrain Scam Auctions - Hacked Accounts:Just a quick PSA on the wire fraud scam for this fake eBay Woodgrain set. I know the discriminating collectors here would recognize wire fraud but thought I would post anyway.

shabfashion (28910 )

1975 TSR DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ORIGINAL WOODGRAIN SET 3RD PRINT CMPLT NMNM+ gygax

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I checked into the listing and emailed the seller. The story was they had a pawn shop in California, shut it down and moved to Spain while liquidating inventory. When asked for details (info(at)pawn-sales.online), they sent what appeared to be an invoice request for a wire transfer payment to a bank account in Spain. All very official looking of course.  I have the bank wire request information & fake "eBay looking" invoice but won’t re-post it here. They claimed it was covered under a eBay 30-day return guarantee which doesn’t happen outside of eBay transactions nor via email.

I called eBay to inquire. Apparently, at least 2 legitimate eBay accounts were hacked and repeatedly posted this fake Woodgrain set. One account in California and another in the UK. The California account was shut down by eBay a few weeks ago when it was reported by the original owners that the account password had been hacked. eBay also confirmed the UK account above is under investigation.

Background information:
“GO TO YOUTUBE AND SEARCH - 1975 DUNGEONS & DRAGONS WOODGRAIN SET - I HAVE A VIDEO OF THE SET FOR YOUR VIEWING TO SEE EVERY DETAIL.”
1975 TSR Dungeons and Dragons Woodgrain Set - YouTube

The video they reference in the description was actually done by D.F von Rabenau who is a legit seller on eBay. Not exactly sure where they nabbed the pictures but they’ve been used in each of the fake listings on the hacked accounts. Probably taken from a previous legitimate eBay listing? They went so far as to copy & use the store logo from a legitimate eBay seller as well. LoL
The email response via the old [email protected] address:

date: Jan 23, 2021, 4:01 PM
subject: Re: 1975 TSR DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ORIGINAL WOODGRAIN SET 3RD PRINT CMPLT NMNM+ gygax
mailed-by: pawn-sales.online

Thank you for your interest in purchasing this item at the price of US $2,100.00 (price includes shipping). The item is in perfect condition, this is a stock liquidation, I have closed my business (pawnshop) and I recently moved to Europe, Spain. Shipping will be made from my storage in US. We will complete this sale using the Purchase Protection program from eBay, which will protect us in this transaction. There is also a 30 day return policy. If you are ready to buy this item please provide me with your full shipping address & your full name, then you will be contacted by eBay with the eBay Invoice for your purchase.
Waiting you reply
Thanks!

Bottom line: Hackers are using multiple compromised eBay accounts to shill a Woodgrain set that doesn’t exist in order to obtain wire payment fraudulently. Just avoid these particular “auction” listings with these pictures. I'll continue reporting the "new" hacked accounts to eBay as I have time.

8O
Thanks for the info.