Removing paint from AD&D model kit
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:32 am 

Anyone an expert at removing paint from AD&D model kit figures?  I picked up one of those TSR MPC AD&D Model Scene Set things and whoever painted them probably didnt turn out to be Picasso.  Is there a safe way of removing model paint from the plastic figures and scene set thing?

I never had model and I cant color in the lines.  I would just like to try to get them back to plain.

thanks for the help

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:30 pm 

LA's Totally Awesome is the best.  You will need to leave the minis in it for a couple of days (put a lid on the container or it will evaporate) and then use a toothbrush to clean off what's left of the paint ( you may need a pin to get into the crevices but be careful as you can cause damage).  A second dunking may be needed.  If you have a heated ultrasonic cleaner then use it with Awesome and you can have it done in an hour.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:33 pm 

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, but I've done a lot of paint removal from miniatures over the years.  I've had the most success with isopropyl alcohol with plastics.  You can also try denatured alcohol, and some plastic-safe paint strippers, but they sometimes contain additives that can cause issues or leave a residue.  Acetone, Toluene, or Methyl Ethyl Ketone are very effective for metal miniatures, but I would not use them on plastics, as they can dissolve/etch them.

There are many how-to webpages and videos on this.  Whatever you do, make sure you do it safely.  Some chemicals can be downright hazardous.  Isopropyl alcohol is pretty safe, if you observe the standard precautions (gloves, ventilation, no flames).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:36 pm 

Try Awesome.  I've probably stripped about 500 GW plastic minis and after lots of faffing around it is by far the best.  And if you are bulk stripping get a heated ultrasonic cleaner.  Its fantastic:)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:59 am 

Thanks fellas.  There is only about 25 pieces in the set so I am hoping it wont be a big ordeal.  I was just worried about what to use on plastic.  As dbartman said, I was worried that using something ordinary might discolor the plastic itself leaving it in worse shape than it already is.

I will get some awesome and alcohol and test them both out.  I'll let you know which I had better luck with.  I won't get to it until April as I am stuck in Europe and they keep cancelling flights back.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:56 am 

Don’t try using NitroMors

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:45 am 

Advice - don't process the whole lot all at once.

Experiment.

Do a test run on one piece / model first. Different chemicals, different paints, different plastics, different soaking times, different outcomes.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:18 pm 

Depending on how big the pieces are, get a Magnasonic or Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.  This combined with the right cleaners makes stripping minis painless.  Just takes time, no elbow grease.