What’s up with AD&D N3 Destiny of Kings?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:23 pm 

I try and collect Fine or better for the collection and have my game play copies as well.  Ive been looking for a couple of years now for a collectors grade copy of this module and they are all beat to hell.  I’m new to the forum so not sure if this is an asked and answered topic, but is this a low print run item (doesnt seem to be according to the Acaeum rarity table)?  Was it made with inferior paper stock for the covers?  Am I just the last one standing when the music stopped?  Why isn’t there collector grade copies of this module out there?

Vismore

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:15 pm 

It's not easy to find any modules from this time in a collectible-grade condition.  The covers weren't as resistant to wear, and they were probably thinner than previous modules.  I don't think this one had a particularly large print run, or a lot of them were sold, as it's not as common as other modules.

Since you've mentioned that you consider fine condition to be collector's grade for yourself, you should be able to find one eventually, if you keep looking.

I did check on current and past listings on eBay, and you are certainly right about what's been listed and sold recently, with the exception of this one, which was definitely collector's grade, but it sold for a LOT:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

By chance, here's one that I think could work for you:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

It looks like it's in FN condition, and the seller will even consider offers.  Maybe offer $40 and see what happens.

Good luck!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:20 pm 

That seller is selling a large number of shrinky modules all with starting prices over $400. Now I have no idea why anyone would pay that price for one of these, but if the seller only has a few folks deciding to pay 3x prices one comes out way ahead.

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:24 pm 

Thanks for looking.  It’s tricky, because the one currently listed seems pretty good until you click on the picture.  Maybe I’m a stickler on grading, but the cover has at least 8 creases in it.  At best thats a VG- and probably a Good+ for me.  It does seem like you might have to go shrink for this one.  I like to use mine (gently) so would prefer non-shrink.  Anyways, was just curious if I’m the only one seeing this with this particular module.  I see a similar issue with Castle Caldwell.  Ive collected all the modules and have not had an issue finding a Fine or better condition on most of them.  N3 seems to me to be in its own category of rarity when it comes to high collectible grade.  I’m probably shooting myself in the foot here because I think the Fine or better grade versions of this one probably should demand a higher price.  I was just curious if there was a reason for the amount of creases this module cover seems to get... I speculate its some odd inferior paper stock used for this particular module cover.

Vismore

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:52 pm 

“ The covers weren't as resistant to wear, and they were probably thinner than previous modules.”

I just reread your post and hadn’t caught what you said on the thinner card stock cover.  Got it, thats helpful.  I knew Acaeum experts would have insight.  Thanks.

Vismore