POD question
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:29 pm 

I know this particular item has been discussed before (and I'm using it as an example) I am impressed with what looks like a quality POD book.  I have no experience with the service so I am curious for those that have, are the case and perfect bindings generally good?  I know the contents are based on the quality of the scan but I'm more interested in how well they are put together.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

thanks

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:44 pm 

Never seen this book before  :oops:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:00 pm 

Ashmire, its an unauthorized fan book that's a compilation of mostly old dragon magazine articles.

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:12 pm 

Thanks, found the pdf
The book looks good though. Would be nice to have as a piece

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:45 am 

I can't believe someone paid $140 for that.
Someone thinks they've bought themselves a true rarity in mint condition for their collection.
With POD it really depends on paper quality and the selected printer, as well as the typesetter knowing how to set up his PDF for POD.
Some (Lulu had a reputation for this) come with sticky pages that tear ink from one another when you open the book. They also had QC issues with cutting of the pages not being aligned with the printed text.
From the typesetters perspective, some do not allow enough border at the bound edge, so when it's perfect bound the printed text is pulled too far in towards the spine.

Let's how said buyer is happy with their new found rare book. It takes money off the table that could be chasing things we really want to be bidding on.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:10 am 

ashmire13 wrote in POD question:Thanks, found the pdf
The book looks good though. Would be nice to have as a piece

There were three I think that were all assembled around the same time in the same vein, with faux TSResque covers and pickings from Dragon, Dungeon, White Dwarf, Judges Guild, and a whole host of other sources. I don't think they are illegal to own (PDF) on the basis of fair use and expired copyright (in the UK that is) on the text and layouts.
Printing would also be fine for personal use, even if a 3rd party printer did it for you.

What is clearly illegal is selling stolen IP.
But then again, if the owners of the IP don't defend their own IP, we can't really expect eBay to arbitrarily police who can and cannot sell a book.
It's up to the authors and artists to care what happens to their work and do something about it.
For most I'd imagine its so long ago they've had their money and can't be bothered with the fight to protect their property in this modern world at the ages most of them are at. Without them voicing a dissenting opinion who knows what they think on the matter?

If there is something printed inside by EGG (as the name on the spine would indicate), and if the EGG estate does hold the IP (as opposed to ChinaCorp or whoever owns RPGs in the West these days), then it would be down to the Gygax family to protect their IP. Something I'd imagine they have no interest in doing given the prevalence of illicit EGG IP in the world today.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 am 

https://www.theoldsystem.com/forDownloa ... ndbook.pdf

Foul, please delete is this is inappropriate post

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 am 

https://www.theoldsystem.com/forDownloa ... ndbook.pdf

Foul, please delete is this is inappropriate post

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in POD question:With POD it really depends on paper quality and the selected printer, as well as the typesetter knowing how to set up his PDF for POD.
Some (Lulu had a reputation for this) come with sticky pages that tear ink from one another when you open the book. They also had QC issues with cutting of the pages not being aligned with the printed text.

In fact Lulu doesn't print the files you send to it. Lulu works with many different printers in different countries, so when someone send to Lulu a file to print, Lulu select the printer it works with which is the nearest from your adress.
Example : I live in France; if I send a pdf file to Lulu, it will choose a printer in France to do the job. You live in GB, if you send the same pdf file to Lulu, it will choose a printer in GB. So for the same file, you will not have the same printer and maybe not the same quality.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:44 pm 

That being the case, if POD quality with Lulu is a complete turkey sheet, that explains their reputation for bad quality control and why so many people won't buy from them, particularly given they used to be the market leader in POD. I am surprised they never bothered to address their quality issues in any meaningful way.