A few eBay questions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:52 pm 

I have been listing a few minor items on eBay, and I have a few, really, really stupid questions (at least I think they're stupid-you be the judge!).

I have been on eBay for about 16 years but have never sold anything. I have bought a lot of things, but never sold them.

Since I haven't been on eBay for quite some time, they are holding my PayPal account until January 2. So, what I was going to do is print eBay labels up and include a tracking number. Once the tracking number is read, I should be able to get my payments right to my checking account instead of using PayPal. The only thing is printing up eBay labels isn't free-they seem to charge you, maybe for the tracking number, packing slip, etc. Is this wrong, or right?

When I did a listing the shipping app (weight, dimensions) came up, and I just assumed that it was right. Should I weigh the items and add in the box, or does eBay do that automatically? I know they can't weight it, but they may come up with close to the weight.  I was worrying that I chose too light a weight for the item and didn't include a box. Or does eBay do it automatically whether I choose it or not?

I assume the buyer pays the shipping and handling (shipping is included in the price. I assume the box is included, also). Do I pay any of the shipping and handling? When I ship it, I need to weigh the items (and I assume the box). If there is an increase in price, how do I charge the buyer for it? Or can I?

A buyer asked if I do combine shipping on multiple items - I said yes. If the buyer bought say 3 modules, would I weigh those and add in the box? How would I charge him for those? Or can I do this at all?

I also noted that you can have items returned. I probably should have selected that option. Or should I? I not really sure about that one.

Like I said - (probably) really, really stupid questions.

Thank you for checking these eBay issues out, and hopefully answering these questions!

Elmer

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:59 pm 

These aren't stupid question, but there should be details on a lot of your questions here:

Home | Seller Center

Here are some quick responses, to hopefully help a bit.

Since I haven't been on eBay for quite some time, they are holding my PayPal account until January 2. So, what I was going to do is print eBay labels up and include a tracking number. Once the tracking number is read, I should be able to get my payments right to my checking account instead of using PayPal. The only thing is printing up eBay labels isn't free-they seem to charge you, maybe for the tracking number, packing slip, etc. Is this wrong, or right?

eBay labels do cost something because you are paying for the shipping labels for the package.  You have to pay these fees, once you have been paid by the seller, and prior to shipment.  You can also ship on your own, if you desire to do so.

When I did a listing the shipping app (weight, dimensions) came up, and I just assumed that it was right. Should I weigh the items and add in the box, or does eBay do that automatically? I know they can't weight it, but they may come up with close to the weight.  I was worrying that I chose too light a weight for the item and didn't include a box. Or does eBay do it automatically whether I choose it or not?

The shipping app is not necessarily right, unless the values were correct initially or you preselected a flat rate method.  Assuming you didn't select just a flat rate method, you should package the item(s) and weigh them with the packaging/box.  You would then select the desired method of shipment, enter the actual measurements and weight, to obtain the cost to ship.

I assume the buyer pays the shipping and handling (shipping is included in the price. I assume the box is included, also). Do I pay any of the shipping and handling? When I ship it, I need to weigh the items (and I assume the box). If there is an increase in price, how do I charge the buyer for it? Or can I?

Yes, the buyer pays the shipping/handling, unless you offer free shipping.  The buyer will usually select what shipping they want, unless you only offer one option.  You can't change the cost once you've pre-set the shipping/handling costs and the buyer has paid.  You would have to absorb any difference, thus it's important to get it close to correct up-front.  It used to be that you didn't have to set the shipping/handling cost up-front, but this is not an attractive buying option for buyers, typically.  I don't think this is even possible anymore.

A buyer asked if I do combine shipping on multiple items - I said yes. If the buyer bought say 3 modules, would I weigh those and add in the box? How would I charge him for those? Or can I do this at all?

eBay will usually provide an automatic combination of multiple-item purchases by the same seller, if they are close together in regard to purchase date.  If not, or if you have to do it yourself for some reason, it's easily done by selecting the items and adding them together for shipping purposes.  Worst case, you can charge less or nothing, for one or more of the items, then combine them in the same package.

The eBay seller's tools are pretty good at guiding you through this process.  You will have to work through them a little bit to get more comfortable with them.

Sorry if these responses aren't detailed enough or 100% accurate, but they should provide some direction.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:13 am 

Thank you so much for answering the questions-things are very clear to me now!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:53 pm 

One other thing I would add is that, since you are probably selling lots of items made of paper; like books, booklets, modules, etc...  Media Mail may be an attractive shipping option.  It's sometimes MUCH cheaper than other options, especially Priority Mail.  Priority Mail does have an advantage that it provides $100.00 insurance protection for free.  This sound really great until you try to collect from the Post Office.  Sometimes that process goes smoothly if you have all your paperwork and receipts in hand, but often it does not.  Since I sell, or used to sell, a lot, I basically self insure realizing that I might lose on some sales but usually everything arrives safe and sound.  I usually DO use Priority Mail for expensive items over $100.00.  Going back to Media Mail, it cannot be used for magazines, even if they are old and their ads are out of date.  Media Mail usually takes a week to arrive, which is more time for it to get beat up, so pack well.

Speaking of packing, I place all my books, modules, etc... in a Kroger plastic bag, then place that between two pieces of cardboard which have larger length and width than the item I'm shipping.  Then I tape the cardboard pieces tightly together so the item in between doesn't move.  That goes in a 10"x13" manila envelope.  I write "Handle with Care" on the outside.  I often buy 100 envelopes at a time

One more thing, in order to be able to use the eBay Media Mail labels shipping option, it has to be an item category that allows Media Mail, and this is always a category that charges something for listings.  I usually use the collectibles category, which is a free listing, but then I have to carry the item to the Post Office and ask for/get Media Mail there (which may not really be saving me much money overall).  All First Class items have to weigh no more than 13 oz, I believe (which is the total of the item and its packaging).  

Finally, if someone asks for you to sell an item to them before the auction ends, don't.  It's almost never a good deal for you.

If you have questions, we're here.  Good luck!  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:02 pm 

As far as media mail, just lie and tell them it is an old book. Their idiotic excuse for not allowing some books is that media that contains ads is not allowed. Obviously that is stupid, considering the ads are all way outdated in older D&D books.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:47 pm 

benjoshua wrote in A few eBay questions:Speaking of packing, I place all my books, modules, etc... in a Kroger plastic bag, then place that between two pieces of cardboard which have larger length and width than the item I'm shipping.  Then I tape the cardboard pieces tightly together so the item in between doesn't move.)

A good method, but on more than one occasion, I've received items packed this way where the tape has somehow managed to come in contact with the item (subsequently tearing away a bit of it).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:25 am 

Very good suggestions! Thank you!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:58 pm 

Speaking about the woodgrain(I know it's not your sale), with really big ticket items Greylake, I would auctioned them on EBay.  I know there is a reason why its called FeeBay and those other sites may be 'free', but the audience will be 100x larger than those smaller sites.  Many people may not have an account on that seller location, so there is that to think about as well.

Just my 2 CPs.

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:42 pm 

Thank you SKA-that is a very good point! I will be putting some stuff on eBay that is higher end! Thanks!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:20 pm 

So is ebay crap for selling now?  With the increased fees and managed payment system is it worth it for the exposure? Or is RPG auctions the way to go?  Seems good but I wonder if stuff gets buried in the thread (on fb).

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:32 pm 

This is a topic that comes up quite often.

The answer is really based on personal preference.  Generally, eBay will expose your items to a wider buyer audience, and usually result in higher sale prices, but you will have to pay additional money in fees for that benefit.  They also make selling items fairly easy by providing a seller's interface, seller protection, and ease in shipping.

If you sell on RPG Auctions, there are about 10K of members, of which most are really good people that are truly interested in RPG collectibles.  Facebook's listing and selling capabilities are not good, though.  You will also have to do most of the work yourself, without any seller's tools, and the posts can get buried rather quickly, especially if an item doesn't attract a lot of attention.

If you have some more desirable collectibles, then they will probably sell for a good price on RPG Auctions.  Would they sell for as much as they would on eBay?  Maybe...  More common collectibles would likely still do better on eBay.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:12 pm 

Ebay was going to become ebay or something else would have become ebay. So many hobbies simply wouldnt be what they are without a one-stop shop. All the big folks, DA Cardworld, Troll and Toad, even my LGS (which sold Logan Paul $750K in pokemon cards) is on ebay. They just raise their prices to cover fees. It is the best place to liquidate slower selling stuff.

Sorry if I just sound like a fan. Its just ebay.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:22 am 

Malygris wrote in A few eBay questions:So is ebay crap for selling now?  With the increased fees and managed payment system is it worth it for the exposure? Or is RPG auctions the way to go?  Seems good but I wonder if stuff gets buried in the thread (on fb).

I use eBay mainly because I'm convinced I get the most money overall (even after fees) for my sales.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:35 am 

eBay is still the best option (by far), in my opinion.  The vastly increased audience and ease of accessibility (compared to services like FB market/groups, etc…) creates an environment which will get you max return on your listing (even with eBay’s inflated fees being taken into account).  It’s the only service that I use for selling.