Paper Back Novels
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:35 am 

Does anyone collect paperback novels? Ive collected the Dragonlance Chronicles, Drizzt trilogy and most other early TSR paperbacks. $2.89 at HPB is hard to pass up when the cover art is cool right?

I ask, because I just checked ebay and the Dragons of Autumn Twilight books are basically sold out. There is only one listing, of two copies, for $60 each. Which is crazy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:07 pm 

Dave has all the Dragonlance novels in paperback, Drizzt and Ravenloft series, all pretty well cared for. He tended to read and re-read them and it was a cheaper collection than the game books and such like.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:13 pm 

It looks like the early prints of the 1st Dragonlance novel have been moving up in collectible value - some pretty rough copies selling for higher than expected prices.

There are a number of the later (probably lower print) Dragonlance series that sell for a fair bit - I've seen StoneTellers, Kingpriest, Dwarf Home trilogies sell in ther $150 range.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:20 pm 

I have a boxed set of the original three paperbacks of the Dragonlance trilogy.  All were unread.  I bought the box set in shrink years ago and opened it up to have Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman and Larry Elmore write their names in it.  I was surprised that Autumn Twilight was a 2nd print, Winter Night was a 1st and Spring Dawning was a 1st.  I have 1st prints of the first two RA Salvatore paperback trilogies from TSR in like new/unread condition that one day I'd like to get him to write his name on them all.  :)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:27 pm 

Very nice!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:54 am 

mrmanowar wrote in Paper Back Novels:I have a boxed set of the original three paperbacks of the Dragonlance trilogy.  All were unread.  I bought the box set in shrink years ago and opened it up to have Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman and Larry Elmore write their names in it.  I was surprised that Autumn Twilight was a 2nd print, Winter Night was a 1st and Spring Dawning was a 1st.  I have 1st prints of the first two RA Salvatore paperback trilogies from TSR in like new/unread condition that one day I'd like to get him to write his name on them all.  :)

Super cool with the autographs!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:39 am 

I have all the Dragon Lance novels from my youth. In addition to D&D in the early 80s, I was a voracious reader of SciFi and fantasy (still read both but less). I think I have have kept just about every paperback I ever bought. Have hundreds in storage with my collection, waiting for me to come home and set up my library / RPG collection / man cave.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:47 am 

It seems a lot of the novels, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms especially, from the late '00s to the mid '10s have gone up significantly in recent years.  Stuff like the Brimstone Angels (FR), Ergoth (DL) Trilogy, Dragonlance The New Adventures series, and some of the later Elminster series novels are really high.  I think a lot of it is attributed to the low print runs of the novels of the time. I've had a heck of a time trying to pick up some of these.