Effect of 3-hole-punch on grade
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:18 pm 

Hi all,

First post on this site, so forgive me if this isn't the proper place for this.

I'm wondering what effect 3-hole-punching has on the grade of a module.  I'm curious to learn how collector view that kind of thing on an otherwise sharp copy.  Thanks for any help!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:31 pm 

Non-factory hole-punching will typically reduce the grade to VG at best.

Here's an older thread that has some additional info on the topic:

Modules + 3 Hole Punching

Factory hole-punched is fine, and can even be desirable to some collectors, if it can be verified to be authentic.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:46 pm 

I understand early comics could have a missing corner, and those commonly start at a 5.0 VG/FN. I have no idea if a 3-hole punch would be worse, but it may. The overstock notch in modules might even have the same effect.

You may want to shop for a really nice copy if you are looking to grade. Today's prices will be great in a few years if grading catches on. Comic grading started around 2000 and a lot of folks hated it. I think it will be the same, or more so, for vintage modules. And if it doesnt catch on, it wont matter what the grade is, so why bother? :)

I am biased. Graded comics brought in a whole new group of collectors who weren't going to repeatedly read the comics. They may like what the comic represents not the quality of content. Graded items display well, can be kept in a drawer without concern and can be more reliably sold by a non-expert. A graded 8 is an 8 if you are walking into a comic shop or a lifetime collector with 1000 feedback on ebay.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:48 pm 

Tszii wrote in Effect of 3-hole-punch on grade:A graded 8 is an 8 if you are walking into a comic shop or a lifetime collector with 1000 feedback on ebay.

What about the condition of the plastic case itself? If your item is an 8.5 but its slab is chipped, scarred, & stained, maybe a 4.3, wouldn't that affect the potential resale value?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:07 pm 

Its $20 and about 20 days to get it re-slabed if the case is busted up.  Sure, I keep mine safe but the slabs are durable. Like a heavy plastic tumbler. And of course, the slabs arent getting daily use. It would take a significant accident to damage the module which is the important part. The module, inside the slab, is also in a sealed top loader kinda thing.

btw: I just weighed a Q1. Its 5oz. Its 1lbs 10oz slabbed. Its just a lot of plastic.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:24 pm 

Sounds like it might also be good for protections from odors, moisture damage, mold, temperature fluctuations, etc. as well? Even sunlight?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:07 pm 

Tszii wrote in Effect of 3-hole-punch on grade:I understand early comics could have a missing corner, and those commonly start at a 5.0 VG/FN. I have no idea if a 3-hole punch would be worse, but it may. The overstock notch in modules might even have the same effect.

Some of the folks on here say Overstreet standards don't apply here. Dunno why. Pages, Staples, Covers. Hmmm.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:56 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Effect of 3-hole-punch on grade:Sounds like it might also be good for protections from odors, moisture damage, mold, temperature fluctuations, etc. as well? Even sunlight?

The cases are mostly physical protection. They help with other stuff better than anything else, but they dont cover everything.

There is no protection from sunlight. You can buy large photo bags that are crystal clear and protect from sunlight. Slabs will protect from splashing water, or even being dunked, but they arent water proof if submerged for any length of time. Apparently paper needs to breath or it will break down over time. I dont fully understand it. High humidity, long exposure to odors or conditions ripe for mold will still be a problem. Temperature effects everything. The slab would heat up just as expected.

Protection from stuff yes, "proof" - no. :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:25 pm 

Tszii wrote in Effect of 3-hole-punch on grade:if submerged for any length of time

Good thing climate change & rising sea levels are just a myth.

Tszii wrote in Effect of 3-hole-punch on grade:Apparently paper needs to breath or it will break down over time.

That does seem to be. Some paper-infesting microorganisms grow with oxygen, some without. Maybe the same applies to non-biotic, chemical breakdowns of paper too. Temperature is an especial concern, because it so often is the case that stuff is moved around in boxes, often ending up in an unheated garage. As useful as paper is, it's like the whole universe is working to destroy it one way or another.