Gygax Signature & Signature Verification
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:06 pm 

Hi all,

I saw some auctions close a few minutes ago which I initially was quite interested in:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** expired/removed eBay auction **

** expired/removed eBay auction **

However, once I looked closely, I found that the signatures looked... problematic?  You can tell these were all signed with the same pen, so perhaps some of the issues are attributable to the pen itself, but there are other aspects I really call into question.  In particular, the monster manual signature looks like it's been run over more than once - the 'x' looks like it was filled in at least two times.  The "Gary" portion of the PHB signature also has evidence of being written over twice.

I also think it's suspect that the seller specifically mentioned that there is no autograph verification paperwork.  I've seen many Gygax signed items sell over the years and never seen anyone spell out the absence of paperwork explicitly.  Ordinarily the (rare) presence of paperwork is specifically mentioned.

Am I paranoid?  Could this be authentic?  Perhaps the signatures are from a time when Gary's health was flagging? I'm not a signature analyst so it's hard to know for sure, but I was suspicious enough to walk away from the auctions.

Curious what you all think. Also curious if any of you have used signature verification services for any signed copies you might have.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:05 am 

I would not verify these sigs.

I am very suspicious of this group.
All with the same pen.
All sigs virtually identical in all strokes.
No dates, no indication of event.

Gary was more irregular than that imo, and often noted dates & events.

THAT SAID, seller has recently had a bunch of excellent items (without sigs).
I thus suspect that some third party forged the blue Gygax sigs on his/her AD&D stuff and made a large profit. This reseller was prolly duped as well. (or not.)

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:08 pm 

I agree. In my opinion, comparing those to multiple legit ones, the signatures DO NOT look authentic at all.

Also, there was an auction for a Moat Gate Store House that mentioned being signed, but I didn't see the photo of a signature on that one. So not sure.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:01 pm 

Do those listings/pics last with the thread? Or do they quit working after ebay discontinues the listing?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:07 pm 

They'll last as long as eBay's API continues to provide the info.  Typically that's 90 days after auction completion, but in rare cases is longer (even much longer).

Foul

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:52 pm 

Mordenkainen wrote in Gygax Signature & Signature Verification:I also think it's suspect that the seller specifically mentioned that there is no autograph verification paperwork.  I've seen many Gygax signed items sell over the years and never seen anyone spell out the absence of paperwork explicitly.  Ordinarily the (rare) presence of paperwork is specifically mentioned.

Am I paranoid?  Could this be authentic?  Perhaps the signatures are from a time when Gary's health was flagging? I'm not a signature analyst so it's hard to know for sure, but I was suspicious enough to walk away from the auctions.

Curious what you all think. Also curious if any of you have used signature verification services for any signed copies you might have.

Gary often autographed items at conventions, without any paperwork to verify his signature.  As Frank mentioned, he would sometimes add additional info, such as the date, the location, or personalization, if requested.

I would be very skeptical of items that don't come from proven sources or have some provenance to back them up, especially when the items in question are selling for much more than an unautographed copy.

It's quite possible that Gary did indeed sign all of these at one sitting, with a failing marker, but what these sold for is a lot, considering the high potential that these are not legitimate.  Unverifiable signatures typically do not have nearly the value of verifiable signatures.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:54 pm 

Tszii wrote in Gygax Signature & Signature Verification:Do those listings/pics last with the thread? Or do they quit working after ebay discontinues the listing?

I attempted to post the images in this thread but I didn't figure out how to do so without hosting them myself.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:04 pm 

Mordenkainen wrote in Gygax Signature & Signature Verification:I attempted to post the images in this thread but I didn't figure out how to do so without hosting them myself.

What about the "Upload attachment" tab, next to "Options," below the text field, in blue? It might be hard to spot, but it's there when you write a post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:53 pm 

Pic

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:12 pm 

Attachment:
Screenshot_20230710_201014_Sketchbook~2.jpg

There's an attachment limit so I put them all in one image.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:33 pm 

Those are amazingly consistent

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:00 am 

They look like they were done with a stamp or maybe a template/stencil.  Way too consistent between the different books to be hand written.

If I were to guess, I think someone took one of the good signatures that are on the Internet and made a stamp.

It really looks like this one:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:31 am 

dbartman wrote in Gygax Signature & Signature Verification:It really looks like this one:

Where is that from?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:27 am 

Searching for "gary gygax signature" on Google.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:58 am 

I agree with Doug, a stamp could have been used! The matching spots of darker ink on each signature are nearly perfect... i was sceptical at the beginning but the last comparison made me totally in favor of a potential forgery! BTW the "pencil" style also fits the stamp theory...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:17 pm 

Seller bagss is Joe Devlin, Pennsylvania and Netherlands.
He has been contacted about this probable fraud, and may be willing to refund buyers.

If any Acaeum member purchased any of these, please contact the seller ASAP to request a refund. :)

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:14 pm 

Hi everyone

I can address this because I sold them.  I will share what I know and what led me to believe they were hand signed and not stamped.
TLDR: Anyone who wishes a refund for these items or any item I have sold(or will sell in the future) is welcome to it with my sincere apologies.  Just contact me through ebay as I dont think I get emails forwards from Acaeum forums.

Let me start by saying it is/was not my intention to sell anything forged and naturally refunds are available if desired(quite honestly you would have this right for any reason up to and including inauthentic signature).

I did not get these signed personally(all the autographs I have of Gygax I bought second hand).  I also specifically put on each auction that the autographs were not authenticated and had no documents stating such since I did not see them signed or had a 3rd party verify them.  I also did not claim to have had them signed and stated they were bought from another person.  I started each at $200 with no reserve which I thought was roughly the value of the manuals and supermodules in unsigned form considered their condition(though I was lazy and started all 5 at same price to save listing time when I probably should have started the ToEE cheaper and maybe QofS higher).  I bought these probably a few years before i moved to netherlands(so lets say 2014 give or take a few years) and they were not expensive(I believe I paid $1000 for 5 signed books and 2 signed manuals).  I believe I bought one on ebay and did a deal off ebay for the others.  Thus if what Frank is saying is true, I would assume I was the first sucker.

I actually have a 1st print DMG & revised DMG from the same seller still at home that has a similar looking signature.  I literally just flew back to netherlands sunday night into monday(an 18 hour affair that started with a 4 hour drive in a massive rainstorm).  I probably wont return home to usa until the holidays, but whenever I do I will bring out the DMG and take photos.  

Naturally when I bought them and took photos of them I noticed similarities in the sigs, but there are differences in them.  The MM sig is clearly different from the rest, the x at the end stands out.  Also I think the PH differs significantly in the first name.  I  did use a magnifying glass on the signatures and they appear to be done with live ink, not printed.  I dont think one stamp could make those variances and I dont think anyone would buy multiple stamps.  If they are not real I think I was just duped by a  forger who was too perfect, too often.  I think the MM and PH show they were not perfect 100% of the time, but that also would disprove the use of a stamp.  I dont know what kind of pen was used but I remember using a sharpie and signing my name to see if it left those darker patches you see in the sigs and it did.  Regardless of the method used, if they are forged then it is my fault as the seller.

I do not wish to involve any other members in my pile of muck, but I have done deals with many people on this forum and have never been accused of any misdoings save a substandard packing job once in a blue moon.  In addition, a member came to my parnets house this time I was home to purchase some stuff and go through a few of my crates.  I asked this person specifically about getting the autographs authenticated and was told that the community, in general, did not want them put in plastic or slabbed.  This directly led to me listing them with the no authentification disclaimer so people knew they were never authenticated.  I also invite every ebay member who buys any significant amount from me to come pick it up and inspect before paying.  Far from being a shadowy creature, I am happy to meet with fellow collectors, take extra pics of stuff, and chat by phone.  

Please contact me if you were affected by this.  I would rather not post my cell phone on a public forum, but I would authorize any member who has it to pass it along via DM to anyone affected by this who requests it.  It is the same number if you requested my contact info via eBay which is also an option and it is a USA +1 number(I also have a +31 NL number if anyone wishes to rack up a big phone bill...I once mistakenly called home for 38 min using my cell instead of skype and it cost me $53)

Joe

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:50 am 

First,  I commend you for posting here and trying to get to the bottom of this.  I can only imagine how stressful it is to deal with all that while traveling.

Second, compared to other collectibles, people in TTRPG collecting don't seem to be as interested in signature verification, so this kind of question is bound to come up.  Even with signature verification, mistakes still happen.

You were very up front about the absence of verification in your listings.  Legally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. My post here was intended to spark a discussion about signature verification,  not to start a witch hunt. I hope that is understood.

Next