50th Anniversary Thread
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:04 pm 

And for the 50th Anniversary, they have decided to fire their President!

Oh sorry, Cynthia Williams "resigned". The last two years saw the company lose billions (not all her fault, mind you). But it's clear they are going to lose money again this year, in spite of the 50th anniversary, and since she barely understands both D&D and Magic I think the move is to get someone in that can have a plan.

WotC - WotC President Cynthia Williams Resigns | EN World Tabletop RPG News & Reviews

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:37 pm 

You can’t take your eyes off it…

Attachment:
C0B9CBB0-EEB7-4034-8CA5-678ABA1A420F.gif

SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:You can’t take your eyes off it…

Attachment:
C0B9CBB0-EEB7-4034-8CA5-678ABA1A420F.gif

SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 am 

She presided over the OGL Fiasco, Magics 30th Anniversary product being $1000 for four booster packs flop, she sent the Pinkerton's to a guys house when he revealed some magic cards early, failed to get DnD's 50th ready in January, and printing miscalculations all over the place in Magic. Too many sets, amazon dumps wrecking distribution and the LGS due to too large of printings and not printing near enough for Lord of the Rings and Fallout.  

She came from Philip Morris. Never played Magic or DnD. They hired her to be president of Wizards. idk.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm 

Tszii wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:She presided over the OGL Fiasco, Magics 30th Anniversary product being $1000 for four booster packs flop, she sent the Pinkerton's to a guys house when he revealed some magic cards early, failed to get DnD's 50th ready in January, and printing miscalculations all over the place in Magic. Too many sets, amazon dumps wrecking distribution and the LGS due to too large of printings and not printing near enough for Lord of the Rings and Fallout.  

She came from Philip Morris. Never played Magic or DnD. They hired her to be president of Wizards. idk.

Oof…when you put it that way, it all starts making a lot of sense, lol

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 pm 

Tszii wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:She presided over the OGL Fiasco, Magics 30th Anniversary product being $1000 for four booster packs flop, she sent the Pinkerton's to a guys house when he revealed some magic cards early, failed to get DnD's 50th ready in January, and printing miscalculations all over the place in Magic. Too many sets, amazon dumps wrecking distribution and the LGS due to too large of printings and not printing near enough for Lord of the Rings and Fallout.  

The cynical take is she presided over massive revenue expansion in MTG, D&D sold quite well. She fired a lot of people. Now she can step down and allow a "messiah" to rise after shes goosed profitability at the expense of quality.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 pm 

She won me over when I saw her last name was Williams.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:57 pm 

shadeun wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:
The cynical take is she presided over massive revenue expansion in MTG, D&D sold quite well. She fired a lot of people. Now she can step down and allow a "messiah" to rise after shes goosed profitability at the expense of quality.

Personally, I only regret when I am not cynical enough. :) I would be happy if they were making a ton more. The 50th products are barely released,  Lord of the rings made 90 million alone (They published that) But $249 boxes are already over $400 - print runs were too small. They likely still lost customers due to the OGL. They will come back eventually though.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am 

Ah, this is obviously ridiculous compared to the size and magnificence of wotc...

Copy link

i decided to publish a special edition for the golden anniversary of my oncoming game: a variant cover, clearly a golden one! I will sell 50 copies of it and then stop the sale: a book for each year of fun with rpgs! This is my way to say thanks to Gary and Dave for their great contribution to our society...

As soon as i open the sale, i will let you know!

Ciaooo

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 am 

Tszii wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:
Personally, I only regret when I am not cynical enough. :) I would be happy if they were making a ton more. The 50th products are barely released,  Lord of the rings made 90 million alone (They published that) But $249 boxes are already over $400 - print runs were too small. They likely still lost customers due to the OGL. They will come back eventually though.

Agree. LoTR set was a gigantic flavour win. (you would think they will certainly return there now).

The food & fellowship commander deck is just so lovely/on point, and amazing.

MTG have the benefit of having MaRo in charge - which the DnD people certainly do not benefit from. Or at least not the same strong personality. MaRo has so much fame that its quite difficult for WoTC to disempower him and ensure MTG is driven like an amorphous blob.

Still, the sheer amount of sets that are released now and the lack of value maintained in the cards makes it a rich mans game for sure. Though proxies are pretty cheap to get made I guess....

aia wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:Copy link

I decided to publish a special edition for the golden anniversary of my oncoming game: a variant cover, clearly a golden one! I will sell 50 copies of it and then stop the sale: a book for each year of fun with rpgs! This is my way to say thanks to Gary and Dave for their great contribution to our society...

Will you ship to the UK? I would love to get a copy and have a go at playing with my kids.

What a grand thing to do!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 am 

shadeun wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:

Will you ship to the UK? I would love to get a copy and have a go at playing with my kids.

What a grand thing to do!

I will sell via Drivethrurpg hence it will ship from the UK... i'd say that you will get it with a good shipping as it'd be domestic!

In the next weeks it should be available...

Thanks for asking! Ciaoo

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:50 am 

Here i found an initiative (one at least!) where you can find a product done for the golden anniversary:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

That is a great initiative for the golden anniversary... it is a pity that it was a 'con exclusive item'!

Previous