Original D&D set
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:56 pm 

Hi,

I am still learning about D&D collectibles. I am very curious about the the white box with 3 books and reference sheets. I have watched many recent eBay auctions and multiple buy it nows and the prices for the OCE version are very variable...even with (as far as I can see) similar conditions. I have seen ones that look very nice sell for $350 and others sell for $850. In the examples I showed, the OCE symbol is on the front of the box. Looking at the books, it seems one that sold for $700 has browned and older looking books!

Please tell me if I am missing something...

Thanks!

Sir Galahad

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 pm 

You really can't compare fixed price sales to auction sales, as fixed prices don't necessarily follow typical valuations.  Other factors also come into play, such as auction/sale timing, description, pictures, proper category placement of the listing, seller rating etc.

In the case of these two listings, clearly someone wanted the fixed-priced boxed set and didn't want to wait for a better price.  Still, the sale price wasn't too far from the norm for an OEM set.  Conversely, the $350 sale was a really good score for whoever won that auction.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 am 

DnD isnt optimized like Pokemon, Magic, comics or Sports cards. People look up DnD, see the best looking set for particular price, and buy it. Others wait for auctions, sometimes weeks or even months, and win with a low bid. These are commonly purchased by someone who might resell it. Especially if its an upgrade to their collection.

Look at the price of hundreds of cards on TCG player. They can actually graph prices over time. A chart of white box set sales would look wild.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm 

Are they distinguishing printings?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:33 pm 

Yes, check the descriptions here. 6th and 7th cant really be told apart. 5th booklets have a white inner cover and the box still says $10. 4th print says 4th print on the inner covers. Same box as 5th. You will know a 1-3 print when you see them. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 pm 

I just acquired 4th prints of the 3 original books. I also just got a 1st print Swords & Spells, 3rd print Greyhawk, 4th print Blackmoor, already had a 6th or 7th Gods (have to look at the month) and am waiting on the 6th print Eldritch.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:42 pm 

Awesome way to start imho. I think a lot of folks who collected 5e are working their way back to 4e. Starting with OGE is the way to go. :)

See what I did there? Original Gangster Edition. Like OCE? They even sound and look a little alike?

Ill delete the comment if I get enough complaints...