"Best Dungeons & Dragons Campaigns of All Time"  ???
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:07 pm 

A Game Rant article presents their top D&D campaigns, and I was surprised how many of these I've never heard of before.  I guess I'm too old school.  Is the author correct in his assessments?  To me, leaving Ravenloft off this list makes no sense, and is the most glaring omission.

MSN

:?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 pm 

I didn't play/DM a lot of those listed in the article,  However my most memorable ones were:
B2 - first real playing of D&D is something ill never forget
X1 - fighting TRex was thrilling for low level characters
X4-X5 - first multi module play and great story

The group loved module series...
Salt marsh series led into the Slavers which led into the GDQ supermodule.  Lloth put a beat down on the party  8)

Never played Dragonlance.  Modules looked really cool just never got a chance.  Players wanted to settle down, build castles and wizard towers and do their own thing.  Home brewed a bunch of stuff with taking elements from some of the companion and H modules.  Tried battle system when one player wanted to go to war with another after their kingdoms were established. A power vacuum ensued with both becoming so weak...the whole group all came back together when a powerful horde invaded the eastern part of Greyhawk... Good times...

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 am 

There were a couple (such as the CritRole module and the Spelljammer) that I haven't played/read. I would say there are many good suggestions, but there is too much focus on 5E is probably just a reflection of age/exposure. I did enjoy Baulder's Gate and Mad Mage (I never finished it, though), but Key and Witchlight...garbage reads/campaigns, as with some other 5E's he listed (IMHO)