The Ultimate UK D&D List
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:30 pm 

I think some of the most interesting D&D items came from the UK. Here is a list that I put together:

White Dwarf 1-99, Best of Scenarios 1-3, Best of Articles 1,2

Imagine 1-30, Special

Polyhedron UK 1-8

D&D Players Association News 1-12

D&D Players Association Broadsheet 1-6

TORTURED SOULS! 1-12

Game Master Publications 1-5

Adventurer 1-11?

Fiend Folio

UK1-7 modules

ST1

Starstone

First Quest Album (or cassette; CD?)

Complete Dungeon Master boxed sets 1-4

D&D Players Association Broadsheet 1-6

Games Workshop printed modules and game books

TSR UK printed modules and game books

TSR UK Dragon magazines

Anybody else care for the "look and feel" of the UK D&D? Am I missing anything in the list?  

Ð

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:54 pm 

And how about all those fanzines from the 80's, such as Dragonlords, Troll Crusher, the Beholder and so many others.  I'm happy to say that I have a couple boxes full of them and they are fun reads with an ample display of that wry English humor/humour.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:16 am 

Hi All,

I have to admit to being a fan of the UK-produced stuff (but then I'm in the UK so thats not a big surprise :)  ).

Until recently, we've always had a hard-working RPGA community. Unfortunately, thats fallen by the wayside recently.

Even now, I think Mongoose are the biggest publishers of D20 material.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:00 pm 

I'd add the following (all info from respective Acaeum listings):

U1, U2, U3 (Saltmarsh series)

B10, I8, X8 - each of these has the UK flag on the cover.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:52 am 

Whats wrong with White Dwarf articles #3?!

And the theres various non-TSR modules -

- The Beast Entz boxed modules (for D&D and Runequest)

- Various indie productions, eg

- No Honour in Sathporte.

- ? (i guess trawling throug WD and Imagine we can come up with more products)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:42 pm 

I like the fanzines. They are full of new monsters, unbiased opinions and reviews, and most contain nice short adventures.

Go COLTS!!!!

-Devon

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:21 pm 

burntwire wrote:I like the fanzines. They are full of new monsters, unbiased opinions and reviews, and most contain nice short adventures.

-Devon

nn wrote:  - ? (i guess trawling throug WD and Imagine we can come up with more products)

I remember when WD used to have fanzine advertisements.

nn wrote:Whats wrong with White Dwarf Articles #3?!

I am not sure if I have that issue. Damn!

nn wrote:- The Beast Entz boxed modules (for D&D and Runequest)

Also known as the Complete Dungeon Master series.

Ð

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:56 pm 

O2 - Blade Of Vengeance - is British as well.

PS. check out my for sale list

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:09 pm 

*g*. Just pulled this thread from the archive. (Lots of interesting reading down there, still...).

Hey, you forgot the "Fighting Wheel"!
*lol...*.

More seriously, however, I strongly back the feeling that the UK fanzines were a key part of the UK D&D "experience" for many people (especially through to the mid/late 80s for me).
As an aside on that, Brian Misiaszek regularly updates a highly useful list of past/recent UK zines on <uk.games.roleplay>, which has just been topped up to 330 titles (not all D&D-related).
Google Groups
Having chatted with him, there's been more than one person interested in expanding this into a website with cover scans, contents and further details. Of course, getting the ball rolling on such a collaborative effort would be "fun"... (*tips hat to <The Acaeum> staff/contributors again*; only guessing at how much effort it took to get /this/ site as good/content-rich as it is!).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:55 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Having chatted with him, there's been more than one person interested in expanding this into a website with cover scans, contents and further details. Of course, getting the ball rolling on such a collaborative effort would be "fun"... (*tips hat to <The Acaeum> staff/contributors again*; only guessing at how much effort it took to get /this/ site as good/content-rich as it is!).

I have started to make a half arsed attempt at this... just bought a web site the other day as well, so all I need is the motivation to do it;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:14 pm 

Were there any australian (non-tsr) D&D adventures, magazines, or fanzines of note?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:27 pm 

Any good Australian material?

Yes!

Australian Realms magazine had a 30 issue run, and reminds me of Imagine magazine.  They even published material for Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer and FR before they got a cease and desist order.  There is also a module whose name escapes me at the moment.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:37 pm 

nn wrote:Were there any australian (non-tsr) D&D adventures, magazines, or fanzines of note?

check out my old site

Ariel Archives-

gives a pretty comprehensive list, there are a few additions that I will be makeing, some of the con modules are/ are set to be published in d20 format... there are other things not related to D&D that you might find interesting like MOB's fake Runequest zine "Gorp #2" etc... australia was a bit light on zines, there were a couple for traveller not listed yet on the list.. etc

Aussie realms put out 1 generic fantasy sup Wair-Rae:Unae Book 1... any q's just email/pm me/post here...

Brette:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:14 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Having chatted with him, there's been more than one person interested in expanding this into a website with cover scans, contents and further details. Of course, getting the ball rolling on such a collaborative effort would be "fun"...

I have started to make a half arsed attempt at this... just bought a web site the other day as well, so all I need is the motivation to do it;)

*g*.

Does that mean you've just saved me the effort of making the first move?

Thank you for mentioning your plans, Brette.

Still needs a serious combined effort for data collection, I suspect, but would be good to get some framework up-and-running for RPG zines (UK and otherwise (outwith U.S.?), no?).
Nothing fancy... just "up-and-running".

Had a quick dig around here and I'm probably down to well under 100 UK zines (largely taken up by complete run of "The Beholder" and suchlike), having given away/"lost"/etc. a fair number.
Will probably take a week or two to fill in what gaps I can in Brian Misiaszek's newsgroup list, first, but should be able to do scans, etc., later... and hopefully others might be able to join in, too, if that's workable :)

(Don't really need to worry about rarity categories: they're virtually all "4s and 5s". *vbeg*).

Best wishes. David.