GenCon Indy 2008
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:16 am 

hey guys, when do the registrations open?

at sat here, not feeling very patient, wanting to get it sorted so i can book my flights and then start planning *snigger*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:33 am 

Registration begins February 3rd and housing reservations begin on the 4th.

http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/attendees/faq.aspx

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:04 am 

NetRodent wrote:Registration begins February 3rd and housing reservations begin on the 4th.

http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/attendees/faq.aspx

cool dude thanks for that :) just been pricing flights  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

i think i have my accom boxed off so that should be ok - just need to sort this flaming flight.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:24 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
cool dude thanks for that :) just been pricing flights  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

i think i have my accom boxed off so that should be ok - just need to sort this flaming flight.

Al

Heck I can't book a flight or even check on flight schedules through Southwest Airlines yet.  They only have their flight schedule set through August 3rd.  :x   Guess I will wait a couple of weeks and try again.  I won't consider flying a different airline unless I can't manage to get a flight on Southwest cause the rest of them pretty much suck unless you can afford first class.

Still debating on which hotel to try to get a room at.  Would prefer the Marriott, Westin, or Hyatt because of the distance but I'm not too picky.  Does anyone know if the Courtyard Marriott Downtown will still be available during the con?  We stayed there last time and it was a great place.  I was told last year that it would be torn down at some point this year to make room for the new Marriott flagship hotel but I read somewhere else that the scheduled demolition had been postponed.  I couldnt find any additional information about the hotel being open or not during that period but if you try to book a room during the con dates there is nothing available.  If it does get demo'ed before the con I hope someone from the housing bureau doesn't screw up and add it as an available hotel when you go to book rooms.  Might cause a riot.  :)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:06 am 

The Courtyard is no longer showing up on the Marriot website.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am 

NetRodent wrote:The Courtyard is no longer showing up on the Marriot website.

Huh? I just did a search for Marriott Hotels in Indy and it was the third one on the list.  Clicked on the link and it brought me to the URL below:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/i ... -downtown/

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:08 pm 

Hey Al,

what sort of prices are you getting for flights?

I havent looked VERY recently, but was getting around the £650 mark.

I can get business class for £850, so was thinking of just splashing out the extra...

Cheers,
Malc

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 pm 

Hello Everybody,

I'm your man in Indianapolis.  The Marriot will close the day after the Indianapolis 500 which is scheduled for the last weekend in May.  So you need to look elsewhere for your accomdations.  

If there is anything else I can do for you just let me know.

Martin

Last edited by Prufrock on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:29 pm 

lawrenson,

I do not know your economic situation but the extra 200 pounds you would save by not flying business will come in quite handy at the auction or on the exhibit floor.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hey Al,

what sort of prices are you getting for flights?

I havent looked VERY recently, but was getting around the £650 mark.

I can get business class for £850, so was thinking of just splashing out the extra...

Cheers,
Malc

i looked earlier on and i can get a return flight for about £570-600. there are a few variances which bend the price up n down, but thats about that. you will prb be flying from london, whereas i am coming from manchester, so that prb accounts for the price differential.

as for bus.class, frankly, i would save your money. the flights are quite good and i would hold onto the cash for gencon. you will spend £200 easily my friend :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 pm 

Prufrock wrote:lawrenson,

I do not know your economic situation but the extra 200 pounds you would save by not flying business will come in quite handy at the auction or on the exhibit floor.

Martin

Martin

incoming PM dude

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:49 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
i looked earlier on and i can get a return flight for about £570-600. there are a few variances which bend the price up n down, but thats about that. you will prb be flying from london, whereas i am coming from manchester, so that prb accounts for the price differential.

as for bus.class, frankly, i would save your money. the flights are quite good and i would hold onto the cash for gencon. you will spend £200 easily my friend :)

Al

Yeh, just get loaded on cheap whiskey and sleep through the flight...that's what Al does  :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm 

Should be a good year, I will be trying for the Westin this year.  With the closing of that Marriot hotel spaces will be even harder to get.

Later

jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:00 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Yeh, just get loaded on cheap whiskey and sleep through the flight...that's what Al does  :D

Mike B.

nah i rarely drink - like christmas - few drinks with my dad and thats it - oh and a few beers with the guys when i get back from the sahara race but thats it.

i spend my time on the flight sorting my DM plans :) and how many ways i can scare the crap out of mike :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Should be a good year, I will be trying for the Westin this year.  With the closing of that Marriot hotel spaces will be even harder to get.

Later

jeff

Jeff

dont forget, as per earlier convo, youve been included in our game, so keep me posted whether or not you want in.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:08 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
nah i rarely drink - like christmas - few drinks with my dad and thats it - oh and a few beers with the guys when i get back from the sahara race but thats it.

i spend my time on the flight sorting my DM plans :) and how many ways i can scare the crap out of mike :)

Al

I can just picture Al on the flight, talking to his seatmates: "Excuse me, what would be potentially more humiliating, in your opinion?  A trained guiena pig that goes for the balls, or a spider monkey that bites ears off?  Because I'm going to sick one of those on my mate this year...."

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:27 pm 

I gotta go with the guinea pig, but I'm juvenile like that. :D

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:27 pm 

Preparations for the game sound great, Al.  I'm really gettin' jazzed for this year's Gencon.  No back pain.  You, Mike, and John are in for one hell of a time trying to keep up with me.

As for Jeff (Blackmoor) joining are game:  my question is does he object to other characters plastering their face in his character's ass (this is what happened last time I gamed with Al.  Just ask Badmike).

Like I said earlier if there is anything I can do to help facilitate any Acaeum member arrival in Indianapolis for Gencon just let me know.

Martin

Next