Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 127 of 135123 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:If it’s play material you’re looking for, are they not available Print on Demand?
I’m in the market for a mint copy of the Rules Cyclopedia which is something I had mint at one point and sold, but if it were something I was going to crack open at the gaming table, I’d be buying a copy PoD.

This is the wrong place to talk about this, but if I was looking for a copy to use, I too would buy POD.  The only other reason to have one, if you aren't going to use it, is to make it look pretty in a plastic bag on a shelf or to check off on some list?   Of course, each to his own.  Okay, back to our regular scheduled program.  I apologize for the intrusion.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:48 am 

gvaughn1 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:at reasonable prices.

gvaughn1 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:But there's just something about holding the original books in your hands that's hard to replicate for me.

Are the products of Judges Guild part of your agenda? These are still available at rock-bottom prices. Here's an original copy of one of the great ur-documents of RPGs:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

&nd here's a whole slew of JG at reasonable prices:
Badmike's Books & Games Feb D&D 1E 2E 3E 4E 5E D&D & More
including "The First Fantasy Campaign Map (Judges, 1977)---$3," another of the major formative documents of D&D.

benjoshua wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:The only other reason to have one, if you aren't going to use it, is to make it look pretty in a plastic bag on a shelf or to check off on some list?

Good question. Some would say it's the campaign notes scribbled into the margins long ago for campaigns that ended nearly as long ago & played in by players who are now dead. But as you say, each to his own.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:47 pm 

Welcome!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 pm 

New to the Forums, just joined but been using the Acaeum site for some time.  Been playing for 35 years and collecting in earnest for 3-4 years.  Love all the info and topics on the forum.  Am active on Ebay mainly as a buyer, but have sold some duplicates from the collection or HPB finds.  I hail from Texas.

Vismore

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:48 am 

Vismore wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:New to the Forums, just joined but been using the Acaeum site for some time.  Been playing for 35 years and collecting in earnest for 3-4 years.  Love all the info and topics on the forum.  Am active on Ebay mainly as a buyer, but have sold some duplicates from the collection or HPB finds.  I hail from Texas.

Vismore

Welcome Welcome!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:06 am 

Vismore wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:I hail from Texas.
Vismore

Consider attending some or part of North Texas RPG Con in a couple of months.  It's the best old-school gaming convention in the world!  You won't regret it!   8)

North Texas RPG Con

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:05 pm 

Welcome to the forums!

+1 on the NTRPG Con plug. Not only is it a fantastic con for gaming there is also  a very large group of RPG collectors that attend so you would be in good company. Even if you can’t make it this year consider 2022. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers,
Curt

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:16 pm 

Ive only ever been to one con and it was North Texas in 2019.  So much fun.  People were awesome.  Played in 3 Paul Stormberg games and found a lot of good stuff for the collection.  I will definitely be back.

Vismore

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:06 pm 

Hey guys.  I’m shawn, an old player from the UK.  I started playing basic dnd back in the early 80s and moved quickly on to Adnd from there.  Other interests were Steve Jackson’s Car Wars, Tunnels n Trolls, Gamma World, MERP.. and a few others.
I feel out of playing for close to three decades, but during this terrible pandemic I’ve taken up my old interests and now I’m out trying to collect back all the 1e books and bits I foolishly gave away long ago.  I never even knew this game had evolved so much!  5e now huh.  I think I’ll stick with what I know however.  
I have some Qs, perhaps this thread is not the place so I’ll have a look around first.
Thanks for having me  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:40 pm 

Ironclad wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:5e now huh.  I think I’ll stick with what I know however.  

Welcome Ironclad!  We agree with your conclusion and prefer ODD or 1st Edition gaming over the newfangled stuff.  Buying back those old books will cost you these days.  It's remarkable how prices have climbed of late.   :?   Anyway, we're glad you found us!   8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:07 pm 

Cheers!  
I’ve found plenty of the classic modules as pdfs though I’m not sure these are legal.  Drivethru probably is I’m sure..  
as for the books, yeah the prices can be petty savage.  The classic covers are the worst, though I’ve managed to get a DMG for £18 on eBay.  I imagine the seller was unhappy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:22 am 

Ironclad wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Cheers!  
I’ve found plenty of the classic modules as pdfs though I’m not sure these are legal.  Drivethru probably is I’m sure..  
as for the books, yeah the prices can be petty savage.  The classic covers are the worst, though I’ve managed to get a DMG for £18 on eBay.  I imagine the seller was unhappy

Anything you buy on DrivethruRPG is legitimate, There's also individual publishers itch.io shopfronts, Lulu.com, etc.
And every now and then (which we don't hear about here in the UK) there is a humble bundle at humblebundle.com, where you can get a few hundred $ worth of books from the major publishers, in PDF, for about £17. Its a charity thing and well worth the GBP.
Here in the UK there are a few shops with online presence. Little Shop on the Borderlands jumps to mind.
And if you are actually looking to move back into gameplay, there have in the past decade been a number of rewrites/consolidations of the AD&D ruleset under what has been named the OSR. WoTC basically openned up its license to everyone to publish whatever they wanted barring using a few inhouse monster names, and let everyone copy, write, adapt and republish the entire back catalog of rules sets.
For rare out of print stuff, if you ever get up to Glasgow, there's a shop called A1Comics, but I don't know if its been open this past year. They do tend to have a lot of unusual old out of print modules and stuff from back in the day.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:58 am 

Hey that’s great, many thanks

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:10 am 

Hey there Ironclad - a warm welcome!  

Yes, we are an old-school group. Although I am currently playing with 1st Edition rules and converted 4th & 5th Modules - which often have very good maps and scenarios (easy enough for old-school gamers to convert). Hope you have fun here - we are at pretty friendly bunch.  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:33 am 

Hi!  Nice to know there are ‘locals’ here lol

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 am 

red_bus wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:...Although I am currently playing with 1st Edition rules and converted 4th & 5th Modules - which often have very good maps and scenarios (easy enough for old-school gamers to convert). Hope you have fun here - we are at pretty friendly bunch.  :)

Amen brother.  

Welcome to the site, Ironclad.

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:21 pm 

Welcome Ironclad. Always good to welcome another collector from dear old Blighty.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 pm 

Welcome!!!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 127 of 135123 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 133134135