Games Shops in Toronto
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:09 pm 

Hi

I'm going to be in Toronto in a couple of weeks, does anyone know
if theres any RPG / CCG shops there please?

Cheers,
Malcolm

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:16 pm 

Like most other Canadians, I try to avoid Toronto, but sometimes you can't help it. If you're going to be in Toronto, check out the list of stores on this site: http://www.elumir.com/games/stores.php

They focus mostly on German boardgames, but you should find some stuff of interest there. I also remember a good store called Crossed Swords, but don't remember the address. Google should turn it up.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:20 pm 

I hope this message doesn't arrive to late -- I'm still new to these forums and missed it.  Toronto is seemingly devoid of good shops.

Here's a list, in order of most likely to have anything that I want -- I'm just starting to rebuild my AD&D 1st Edition collection.  Your tastes may differ.

Hairy Tarantula's - 354 Yonge St. (easy to miss, it's on the 2nd floor)
Notes:  Lots of old AD&D in the back room, ask the management.  Nothing incredibly valuable caught my eye, but I'm not a pro.  Tons of newer stuff, non D&D stuff, couldn't tell you much about it.

Grey Region - 550 Yonge St.
Notes:  Lots of old AD&D.

Crossed Swords - 722 Annette St.
Notes:  I think I bought out their 1st Ed. AD&D stock, unless they were holding out on me.  They have newer stuff and miniatures.

There is a brand spankin' new place on Dundas about a block south of Bloor called Dungeon Games or something like that.  It opened last week and specializes in miniatures, CCGs.

Hope this helps, and if anyone knows of other good shops, please post as well.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:25 pm 

One more Toronto store is

Comics & More - 1325 Danforth Ave (across the street from the Greenwood subway station).  I haven't actually been to the store but at Pandemonium this year they had a table with some boxes of older D&D stuff going relatively cheap.  I picked up DDA3 and the 93 hardcover TSR catalog for $2 each.  I'm not sure if they have more of this stuff at the store or not.

I have been to Hairy Tarantula and Grey Region several times too.  Hairy T certainly has a large selection of old gaming stuff (in the back room).  But they also have a pricing system in which nothing is priced unless it has been looked up on Ebay.  I find both places to have high prices (but maybe if the exchange rate is good you will be okay).  Both charge on the order of $30 CAD for 1st edition hardcover books and $40 for boxed sets such as Star Frontiers, etc.  I have occassionally picked up an item or two that I needed to fill in a gap but it was hard to do.