WARNING!  A really good Ebay Fraud (phishing)
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:53 pm 

I just got this email (excerpted)

Dear eBay customer,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information ( i.e.change of address).
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

eBay - Page Not Found

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to sell or bid on eBay will become restricted.

Thank you

The eBay Billing Deptartment .

It's a FAKE, it actually links to a page on a Spanish site via the HORRIBLY written redirect in IE.

Just FYI... this one was REALLY good, no mis-spellings or obvious grammar errors.  I suspect they will get more than a few people.  Didn't want any of you to fall victim.

Be alert!

(I am going to try to report this to Ebay but they seem to SUCK at getting the word out so pass it on as you see fit).

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:01 pm 

No space between i.e. and change
Submiting.
?processors?
Comma after 48 hours.
And NO BUSINESS starts with "dear".

The usual fucked-up English from third-world idiots with computers.
Need to start executing people for it. Then see how quickly it stops.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:01 pm 

Spelled Department "Deptartment".  I've gotten three spoofs like this over time.  Did a trace on the email and reported the info to eBay.  Never heard from them as to the outcome and, as I mentioned, received two others.  I'm not sure what they do about these.  I'm sure that they snag a lot of unsuspecting people since they are pretty convincing and end up going to an eBay site ultimately.  Periodically, eBay puts out a notice to protect themselve from lawsuits but little else that I'm aware of.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:10 pm 

Holy crap... there were errors in that mail!

I must have not had coffee when I read it or something.

Anyway, I got a note back ( a template email) from 'Ian' thanking me for reporting it.

The page it links to is down so ...

My work here is done.  Damn spoofers..

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:50 pm 

One final thing in case anyone isn't aware - all typing and spelling errors aside. . .  ebay and paypal always use your actual name in any emails - never "ebay customer" or "your ebay name", etc.

Of course, they also never send any email requesting you log into your account - under any circumstances.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:34 pm 

I got one yesterday that was pretty convincing. It was from someone pretending to be from citibank stating that all cardholders have to register for Billpay. There was only one spelling error and a few minor grammatical errors. As a whole one of the better phishing expeditions that I have seen. Of course it still ended up in the trash bin, but some of these do worry me as far as gullible people go. You figure they send this stuff out to 1000's maybe 100,000's of recipients. Even if they only get less than a 10th of a percent to fall for it then the dirtbags are in business.

-PD

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:54 pm 

No excuses. In this day and age, if you are using a computer you are responsible for your own actions. If someone shows up at your door or calls on the phone asking for your credit card number, do you just hand it over?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:35 am 

Well, it really is not a matter of excuses. Not everyone is tech savvy and just because someone has a computer does not mean they know what they are doing, particularly when dealing with some of th con artists out there. The same could be said about cars and driving...Frank, I am sorry, but driving along I95 or I93 can be an experience regardless as to whether it it is in NH or MA. Have you never been to Boston where your life flashes before your eyes every 5 minutes? Just because you have a car does not mean you know how to drive the freakin' thing. In fact, it is more than likely the driver is seriously lacking in an understanding of the most basic rules of the road.

No one is saying that people are not responsible for their actions; and yes, some people do just hand over their credit cards when someone calls them saying they are from their bank or perhaps a place they may have ordered from (which is easy to find out). Going by what you are saying, the people doing these scams should not be prosecuted, after all, the person being scammed should have known better.

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:44 am 

Plus... we can all be momentarily dumb and gullible... so it pays to get a warning.

For example; I totally missed the bad spelling and grammar when I looked at the email.

But, fortunately, I won't have to worry about this for long... I guess I can let you guys in on a little secret... I was contacted by a deposed govermnet official from Ghana who said they would pay me $17,000,000 if they could use my bank account to transfer their national treasury to the U.S.

I sent them my bank account info and now I'm just waiting for the big check to come!  Hoo Boy!

I'll be wallpapering my office with ST-1s before long! :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:49 am 

Damn, Jon, some guys have all the luck :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:07 am 

Hey, we should hook up! I'm headed to Namibia to speak with Colonel Rwumubana Mgobleyate about a money transfer myself!
Perhaps they have AfriCon?
About cars: I actually feel the same way. I agree most people do not know how to drive (yet another fault of the system). Strip their license away for a year for running red lights, speeding violations, etc. and see just how quickly everyone becomes a safe, conscientious driver. We are irresponsible because we are allowed to be and we know that punishment will either be light or nonexistent.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:12 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Hey, we should hook up! I'm headed to Namibia to speak with Colonel Rwumubana Mgobleyate about a money transfer myself!
Perhaps they have AfriCon?

Wow!  What a coincidence!  The widow of the late President for life Hatulata Ngumba from Nigeria has contacted me and I'm poised to collect 20 percent of several million dollars (as soon as the paperwork goes through, natch).  Who would have thought so many gamers would have been the ones blessed with these riches, eh?  Maybe after all of us collect our money we can buy out WOTC and put out D&D 4th edition or something.
 But in a serious vein, I just read the other day where one of the most notorious spammers (not the Buffalo spammer who will spend several years in jail, hopefully as someone's battered wife) was caught, it was a teenager who had managed to con some 600+ people on the internet out of their passwords and had either bank account or credit card information using the phishing techniques described above.  His phishing was remarkably professional, and despite admonations not to give out information online, at least 600+ people did so.  That's shocking.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:01 pm 

I remember when his wife died! I thnk her name was Labia Minor, wasn't it? Daughter or Medulla Oblongata and Labia Major. Sad.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:31 am 

I had three different people with the same last name as me die in car crashes in Africa in one week, all with no known relatives and 10 to 15 million in the bank.  The banking officials were going to pay it out to me as the closest relative.  And the kind gentlemen who contacted me let me know, just in case I was concerned, that this was a legitimate deal.  It grieves me to lose so many relatives in such a short time.  Sniff...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:42 pm 

Just out of curiosity, I  started counting the number of emails from "paypal" and "ebay" I have gotten since this was posted.    I just deleted out my 15th such email.  (total of 8 days).

Does anyone else get this many fakes?  They seemed to start exploding into my box ever since I became a Power Seller.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:45 pm 

I got several but I think I've kill-filtered most of them now.

I hate them worse that resellers, Shillers, PDFers or Furries.