Dark Sun online game
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:16 am 

It seems, a Dark Sun online game called "Crimson Sands" was released in 1996, following the successful regular PC games "Shattered Lands" and "Wake of the Ravager". The online platform seems to have existed until late 1999, when it was closed down.

Does anyone have information about this game? Was it released in a box like the other SSI computer games? Did anyone participate in the online game? If so, what was your experience?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:12 am 

I played it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:39 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I played it.

Of course.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:21 pm 

LOL, Rulf, I don't care whether you believe me or not. I DID play it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:46 pm 

No, I did remember seeing it in the store, but never played it (the fact that I didn't own a computer at the time didn't help).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:21 am 

I played it also.  It was on the TEN network.  The game was an online download.  TEN charged $10 a month to play any of their games.  It was not very good.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:46 am 

If there was a box, it might be interesting as a collectible. Contrary to the two common Dark Sun PC games, nobody sells "Crimson Sands", because the buyer could not play it anymore.

Was it available only as download or was there a box, too?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:49 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I played it.

Frank, why do you reply "I have it.", "I have three of it.", "I played it." etc. when someone inquires about a certain item? This is not valuable information. Instead, you could post information about the history of the item or possible value or other interesting information.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:30 am 

You asked if anyone participated. I answered. Beyond that, I refuse to give you any details whatsoever. You hate me, remember?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:07 am 

That's what you think. You've already forgotten what I replied the last time you claimed that I hate you.

The point is, I wasn't talking about my inquiries.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:17 am 

Ralf,

Very slim possibility I have that in one of my 'Boxes of Crap'(tm) in the garage.  I played it... for like a day.. then dropped it.

You're right that it would be hard to collect because a) no one (hardly) bought it and b) you couldn't really enjoy it now.

It'd be VERY interesting to try to track down the programmers of the project to see if they'd release the server component so you could revive the game via emulation.  I didn't care much for the game back then, but it might be fun now for sentimental reasons.

Okay... so.. I'll look for it and if I find it I'll let you know.  Please keep in mind that a) I may have purged it long ago and forgotten.. but it IS surprising what I find in my 'Boxes of Crap'(tm) and b) Even if I find it, it'll probably be about as long as it takes Frank to look for Treasure of the Dragon Queen for Grodog (call poke (Frank) ; ).

And you and Frank really need to find a reason to go camping together or something. :)

Just did a Google.. Found a box art and this really interesting article about the demise of darksun online..

http://tinyurl.com/2p4v9

Here's a pic link of the box (sorry it's small)

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:22 am 

Ok, this is not directed at any single person, but you tell me what it sounds like and what you would expect the age of the speaker to be:

"I know something I won't tell, I won't tell, I wont tell, nah nah nah!"

If someone is attempting to find out some information for either himself* or the broader collecting community, that should not be a reason to taunt them or others. If you have that information, then either provide the information or say nothing at all. Are we a bunch of nine year-olds that are going to have hissy fits because we were not picked right away for kickball?

*Parden my use of the masculine pronoun, but are there any females in here? Anyone, any females? Oh, sad sad sad, I feel very geeky at the moment. I think I will go curl up in the fetal position in the corner. Even football message boards have the occasional female. I feel like...a...monk!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:21 pm 

Once again I have to defend myself............. This is getting old, kids.
I played it. I don't remember jack shit about it, because I have played several hundred computer-based RPG's, so how would I possibly be able to tell more? I merely stated that I had played it before. I apologize for my lack of verbosity.
The sarcasm and petty rivalries here are beginning to become a joke. I recommend everyone just post the facts/questions and leave their personal opinions of other people out. If you want to bitch and whine about others, go to a soap chat and pick a favorite hated character.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:33 pm 

How about a simple:

"I played it but I do not remember anything about the game."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:56 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:You asked if anyone participated. I answered. Beyond that, I refuse to give you any details whatsoever. You hate me, remember?

This is why you have to constantly defend yourself. You seem to have a kind of memory in which you think that no ever reads any of your previous posts. Someone has asked if anyone has any information on this game, you coyly answer that you "played it" and nothing else. You are then asked why you post only that and not any information (more of a taunt than anything). You then respond with the quote posted at the top, suggesting that you have information but

"I refuse to give you any details whatsoever"

That is not a statement of not knowing anything, but instead implying that you do know something but choose not to share that information. And now:

"The sarcasm and petty rivalries here are beginning to become a joke. I recommend everyone just post the facts/questions and leave their personal opinions of other people out."

Please do that.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:39 pm 

Jon, many thanks for the information. Please take your time, I have patience. It would be very interesting to know what was inside the box.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:25 am 

Hey Ralf.. Box #1 which I suspected was the best place to look was negative.  This means odds are approaching slim.  I did however rediscover my SIGNED original WingCommander Box set with commemorative hat so it was not a complete loss of effort!

(Man, now THAT was a kick ass game back in the Days of DOS)

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------