Help with a picture of a dragon
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:58 am 

I know this has nothing to do with D&D collecting, but I could use a bit of help. This year's halloween costume includes a dragon and I am trying to find a really good example of a dragon's head. My problem is not so much of having too few examples as opposed to having too many. We're looking at what, 300 or so issues of Dragon Magazine, over 100 modules, hardbacks, etc etc that TSR has put out over the years ( I do not have all of it, but enough to be overwhelmed with a place to start). Two years ago I used the dragon from Issue 78 of Dragon Magazine as a model for a costume, always my favorite.

Now I am looking for a more traditional dragon, horns jutting out here and there and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated with your favorite dragon image and an idea as to where it may be (ex. Red Dragon on the cover of a Dragon Mag, I think it was in issue XX to XXX; the dragon on the cover of module XXXXX, etc). Thanks for any help with this.

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:59 pm 

Hey...why limit yourself?

Why not grab a dvd of the movie Reign of Fire and place it on pause???  Or find a pic of that dragon online....it was very nasty and realistic.

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:18 am 

I would think that using Reign of Fire would actually be even more limiting. The movie images that I have seen are of one dragon (or more specifically, one type of dragon) while D&D publications must have at least 500...probably even 1000. That is the problem, there are so many. I was hoping that some people here may have a particular favorite (mine being the one on the cover of Dragon Magazine #78).

Anyone with a particular favorite dragon in any D&D artwork/imagery?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:06 am 

My own favourite was Trampier's dragon in the Wormy strip. Especially early on, stomping on dwarves.

You just need to get your hands on a cloth cap and a snooker cue, and your costume is almost there....

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:11 am 

mdr003 wrote:My own favourite was Trampier's dragon in the Wormy strip. Especially early on, stomping on dwarves.

You just need to get your hands on a cloth cap and a snooker cue, and your costume is almost there....

Regards

Mike

Now that's an excellent and inspired choice!  
8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:04 am 

I would suggest you watch the Dungeons and Dragons movie (from a few years back), but then you would be forced to Save vs. Death or commit suicide!

Crap, it almost made Dragonslayer look good. 8O  8O  8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:05 am 

I have vowed to never ever ever watch the D&D movie. If you staked me down I would gnaw of my foot to make my escape.

-PD

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:00 pm 

Abomination is an understatement.

How could anyone publicly acknowledge that they played D&D after that movie?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:36 am 

Haven't watched it.

My brother tried to get me to watch it.

I tried... Couldn't get past Lipsticked Boy and Jeremy Irons and the Dragon and well... as far as admitting I play D&D I would be comfortable telling them that the movie had has much to do with what it's like playing D&D as stabbing your self in the Eye with a fork is to eating dinner.  Some parts KIND of look familiar but they have nothing to do with each other.

I think the director was Canadian.  Ergo, All Canadian directors are crap for the next 100 years as punishment for that film. So Says I.

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:08 am 

Scourge of Worlds was acceptable, if only for the fact that you can choose the storyline.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.