TSR Original Artwork for sale on Ebay
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:17 pm 

Greetings.....

Well, here it is finally...David C. Sutherland III's original artwork form page 23 of the Players Handbook. This drawing measures 13.75" by 10.5" and was done in ink on thick drawing paper (feels similar to "backing paper" but a little thinner) The paper has yellowed and faded somewhat, but there are no stains or tears and the detail is clear and sharp. I estimate that this original has 25-30% more illustration than is actually present in the PHB. Also interesting is that TSR titled it "A Paladin in Hell" and also relocated DSL's signature from it's original position on the drawing, as it was partially cut off when TSR sized it to fit in the book. If you look at your 1st printing PHB, you can see this flaw if you look very carefully in the lower right hand corner.  This item is currently on Ebay.  Offers would begin at $250, but we believe this to be worth upwards of $1000. Here are some pictures--

This is the link to the artwork for sale on Ebay.  There is no description entered at this time, but will be by this evening....

Happy bidding---

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 57408&rd=1

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:35 am 

FYI, I posted a link to the auction on the Monte Cook boards (Monte wrote a PS adventure called Paladin in Hell), as well as Rob Kuntz's boards, and ENWorld.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:40 am 

Nice win Paul---I'm still surprised that this didn't go higher than that in price, though....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:22 am 

congrats!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:30 pm 

grodog wrote:Nice win Paul---I'm still surprised that this didn't go higher than that in price, though....

I was also surprised it didn't go higher.  
I'm hoping some other DCSIII goodies will be making their way to eBay soon, though I'm afraid this was all that was saved.   :(

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:28 pm 

Stormber, congratulations on winning.

Could you contribute a small photo of this artwork to the Acaeum art gallery?

It will increase value/exposure of the piece (like everything listed on Acaeum...) :)

Last edited by Zenopus on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:05 pm 

I have been having trouble getting hold of Dave Sutherland III these past few weeks.  His phone is now anwered by someone else, and the last time I talked with him, he sounded really bad.  He might be dead, for all I know.  He had the Paladin in Hell and the cover of the original DMG, and gave both to his sister in law, I believe.  I have some artwork he was working on in the past year or so, but nothing to shout about.  He is dying of acute alcoholism  and his various organs are failing even as we speak.  Yet he cannot stop drinking.  So enjoy your artwork.  I have a piece, someone in Cali has the cover of Dragon #12, and the cover to the DMG is still out there.

Steve Satak
aka Centurion13

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:15 pm 

Centurion13 wrote:I have been having trouble getting hold of Dave Sutherland III these past few weeks.  His phone is now anwered by someone else, and the last time I talked with him, he sounded really bad.  He might be dead, for all I know.  He had the Paladin in Hell and the cover of the original DMG, and gave both to his sister in law, I believe.  I have some artwork he was working on in the past year or so, but nothing to shout about.  He is dying of acute alcoholism  and his various organs are failing even as we speak.  Yet he cannot stop drinking.  So enjoy your artwork.  I have a piece, someone in Cali has the cover of Dragon #12, and the cover to the DMG is still out there.

Steve Satak
aka Centurion13

I assume seeyouinescrow has the DMG cover and is treating it as his precious....
:wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:31 pm 

Oh, who the hell knows?  I tried emailing them, but so far, no reply.  Dave's phone number has the answering machine of two old folks.  I think he finally either moved on to the hospice, or has finally died from multiple organ failure.  Either way, I was hoping to get hold of him.  I called Professor MAR Barker (Empire of the Petal Throne) to let him know the news, but can't do much beyond that.  Yeah, someone has it, and probably doesn't even care what it is.

Centurion13

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:09 am 

Centurion13 wrote:Oh, who the hell knows?  I tried emailing them, but so far, no reply.  Dave's phone number has the answering machine of two old folks.  I think he finally either moved on to the hospice, or has finally died from multiple organ failure.  Either way, I was hoping to get hold of him.  I called Professor MAR Barker (Empire of the Petal Throne) to let him know the news, but can't do much beyond that.  Yeah, someone has it, and probably doesn't even care what it is.

Centurion13

Though he never came back to confirm it, seeyouinescrow said he was near a deal with DCS for the DMG cover.  It seemed he just needed to clear the deal with his wife and then it would be hanging on his living room wall in northern California.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:04 pm 

I don't know about that.  Dave and his wife parted ways many years ago, under acrimonious circumstances.  I doubt very much that he would give it to his wife.  He gave it to his sister-in-law, who apparently sat on it for quite a while, not being interested at all in RPGs and not understanding the significance of what she had.  But Dave told me that she'd decided to Ebay it, so I was hoping it would show up soon.  As for cutting a deal with his wife, that's not likely.

Not unless she came around to collect it after he died.

Centurion13

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:49 pm 

Well, he finally answered the phone.  Yeah, someone in Cali bought the picture, but he says his wife is not  involved at all.  He's got an offer of $6000 for the DMG art, but no call-back on that yet.  His health is going downhill, and he has had some bad luck (got taken for $1500 by some "friends"), but otherwise, seems lucid enough.  

Cent

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:13 pm 

Woops!  I meant seeyouinescrow's wife had to clear his purchase for the DMG cover.  Seeyouinescrow helped arrange the sale of the recent "A Paladin in Hell" artwork that stormber recently won on eBay.  So... does DCS still have the DMG cover art?  Or did the guy in Cali. buy it for $6,000?  
If DCS needs the money fast, he should just put the DMG cover art up for auction here in the Classfieds section.  I'm sure he'll get at least $6,000 for it, if not more, in a real hurry.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:33 pm 

I am sad to hear about DCS' health.

Does anybody know if his Succubus drawing from the original MM still survives?

I really want to get my hands on it.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:45 pm 

I reckon he would top $10,000 for the DMG artwork.