E-Bay Negative Feedback
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:35 am 

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to E-Bay trading and just wanting to poll some opinions on a problem I'm having with a seller.

I have recently found out that a seller (who shall remain nameless) I am currently dealing with has posted negative feedback to my account.  I am feeling a bit bent out of shape given the feedback left which was basically: no payment a month after the auction ended, and does not respond to e-mail.  My first question is since when did we adopt a three week month?  My second is how does one send responses to an e-mail account that is non-functioning?  I sent this person eight messages stating that payment was en route (which it was), which were all returned as "undeliverable".  I finally had to track this person down through E-Bay and contact them through the E-Bay mail delivery system to explain the situation - to which I am still awaiting response - by which time I had received negative feedback.  What really burns me is that the e-mail I did not respond to consisted of one message asking if payment was sent.  Two days later, while I was still trying to find a way to contact this person, I was nailed with negative feedback without any further notice.

At this point, I feel a little torn.  One part of me wants to just shrug the situation off leave neutral feedback and make sure I remain extra careful about who I deal with in the future.  On the other hand, I can't help but feel screwed over - which causes the evil voice in my head to suggest I retaliate with some negative feedback of my own to screw them back.  Of course the longer I have to wait for an acknowledgement to my message after having to track them down, the more the latter course appeals to me.  If I don't get the stuff I paid for I definitely will go with that feeling, but for now I'm trying to hold off and see what happens.  

What would you folks do in my position?

Thanks in advance,

The Egg

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:24 am 

Egg of Coot wrote: What would you folks do in my position?
The Egg

I'd retaliate with Negative feedback, than I'd attempt to contact this seller again asking to retire both feedback (mine and his). If he doesn't agree or he can't be reached, too bad: he will be stuck with Negative feedback too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:16 am 

Dont leave the seller nameless.  Maybe someone here knows more information about him/her.  

Second, try contacting the seller through the ebay button "contact seller".  I have had emails bounce when I used the reply address but went through when I used "contact seller" for some reason.

Also as Sotterraneo said, reply with a negative so when and if the matter is resolved you can mutually withdrawl them.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:54 am 

Terminal_Frost wrote:Also as Sotterraneo said, reply with a negative so when and if the matter is resolved you can mutually withdrawl them.

I thought that once feedback was given, it couldn't be changed.  Except in the rare case that it fell under one of eBay's quailfiers (profanity, etc..)?

I know you can reply to feedback given to you but didn't realize it could be withdrawn.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:58 am 

muaddib5 wrote:
Terminal_Frost wrote:Also as Sotterraneo said, reply with a negative so when and if the matter is resolved you can mutually withdrawl them.

I thought that once feedback was given, it couldn't be changed.  Except in the rare case that it fell under one of eBay's quailfiers (profanity, etc..)?

I know you can reply to feedback given to you but didn't realize it could be withdrawn.

Yep, you can.  I dont know when they started it but just go through game emporiums feedbacks.  As bad as it is already, it would be much worse if a lot of them werent mutually withdrawn (it lists it as such).

I guess thats why he leaves negative feedback for those who do it to him.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:08 am 

Egg of Coot wrote:

What would you folks do in my position?

First thing I would do is go in and reply to the negitave feedback, something like "all emails send to this seller bounced".

The link to reply to a feedback is:
Feedback

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:11 am 

Man.. Was it Vintagetul?  Sounds almost exactly like my experience with them in my attempt to by Dragon#1... except they were responding to my emails just not acknowledging payment.

My theory is on these things is either:

-Dumb seller

-Or, they are disappointed in their auction and decide 'offense is the best defense' and try to say you didn't pay on time because they feel they can sell it through other channels for more. (I think this is what happened to me).

What did I do... nothing... other than threaten Negatives (I also commented on theirs).

I SHOULD Negabomb them but haven't yet.  I have a case... for sure... but at the end of the day, it's just not worth my time to worry about it.

I've got something like 170 rating which is enough for most sane people to see that I am a decent enough guy.  I've got 2 negatives in my history.  Both undeservd (one retracted a long,long time ago before they had the 'removal' feature and this latest one)

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you only have a few points of rating.  If that's the case, just buy 10-20 cheap things you want and pay on time and hassle the seller for positives.. or sell a few things us here might like and we'll pump you up in no time.

I predict the downfall of Ebay in a few years unless they really spend some time with their developers and fix the feedback system and better patrol what's being transacted on their service.  I think about how to replace them EVERY DAY.  If I come up with the idea, I'll let you guys know. :)

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:18 pm 

JonOakes wrote:I predict the downfall of Ebay in a few years unless they really spend some time with their developers and fix the feedback system and better patrol what's being transacted on their service.  I think about how to replace them EVERY DAY.  If I come up with the idea, I'll let you guys know. :)

eBay has just about a monopoly on the online auction scene since Amazon and Yahoo! auctions fell by the wayside.  Since there's no other viable game in town, eBay does not need to be responsive to its users.  
For some other company to compete with eBay they are going to need a lot of marketing dollars to throw around and free listings for a year or so to give a reason for eBay sellers to switch.  The buyers will then follow where the products are.  It's also very sad that eBay is closing down half.com, and then to sell a textbook on eBay one will have to pay a listing fee for a 7-day auction.  It looks like I'll be selling my books and DVDs on Amazon come fall or some other service if one appears before then.  

As for Coot's problem, as others have stated, leaving a negative and then asking for a mutual withdraw is probably the best way to go.  *sigh*

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:37 am 

Hello again,

My sincere thanks to everyone who took time out to reply to my query.

Update: I have responded to the feedback left for me and decided to reciprocate with some negative feedback of my own.  The seller has also contacted me - with no mention of my response - and informed me that they have relisted the item in question.  So, my next move is to suggest a mutual withdrawal of the negative feedback pending either the arrival of the item I initially won at my door, or the return of the MO I sent.

Man, all this hassle over $20 . . .

Will keep everyone posted.  Thanks again.

The Egg

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:09 pm 

The bottom line is simply that there are freaks all over this lovely world. Ebay is no exception. Recently, I got a neutral feedback stating that I paid in eight days - the listing said you had to pay within 10! And the jerk hits me with a neutral. I had already left positive because item came and was as described. That is the bullshit of the feedback system. Freaks screw things up.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:14 am 

Coot,
  Since you posted this thread and are asking for opinions, allow me to take a slightly different look at this.  I checked out the auction you are referring to (you purchased from me before - so I knew your eBay id).  

I do agree that the seller jumped the gun on leaving negative feedback - they have 90 days to leave it, so it is best to be absolutely certain before doing so.  The lack of email communication complicated the situation further.  However, as you stated, it is 3 weeks later and your payment hasn't arrived.  Three weeks is simply too long to get payment to a seller (and yours still wasn't there yet).  This seller also explicitly states that payment is due within 10 days.  Sure, the seller could have been more patient, but they certainly don't have to be - they gave you more than double the alloted time to get the payment to them.  

The email complicates things. . . but why did you wait so long to mail out payment to begin with?  Unless you cleared it with the seller first, there are few reasons that are satisfactory.  Also, the seller states that they ship to the United States only and I think you are in Canada. . . did you clear that with the seller first?

I don't say these things to be overly critical, however, if you are new to eBay this advice will help you in the future.  If it takes three weeks or longer for your payment to arrive, then you will undoubtedly receive more negatives in the future (especially if they say "within 10 days").

The email is a problem, but you can always go through eBay system to try and get a message out.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:04 pm 

dathon wrote:
JonOakes wrote:I predict the downfall of Ebay in a few years unless they really spend some time with their developers and fix the feedback system and better patrol what's being transacted on their service.  I think about how to replace them EVERY DAY.  If I come up with the idea, I'll let you guys know. :)

eBay has just about a monopoly on the online auction scene since Amazon and Yahoo! auctions fell by the wayside.  Since there's no other viable game in town, eBay does not need to be responsive to its users.  
For some other company to compete with eBay they are going to need a lot of marketing dollars to throw around and free listings for a year or so to give a reason for eBay sellers to switch.  The buyers will then follow where the products are.  It's also very sad that eBay is closing down half.com, and then to sell a textbook on eBay one will have to pay a listing fee for a 7-day auction.  It looks like I'll be selling my books and DVDs on Amazon come fall or some other service if one appears before then.  

Hey Dathon, you might try to open an Ebay store.  It's only $20 a month, and the listing fee is only 2 cents an item per month, or roughly less than a quarter a year to keep the item listed.  To make it better, Ebay has started including store items in their search results if there are 12 or fewer listed on Ebay at the time.  It's a nice place to stick something that will eventually sell, but you don't feel like relisting it at 35 to 40 cents a week.  I've literally had stuff sit a year before it sold, but I got the price I wanted in the end.  Give it a look-see.  

Mike B.