Looking for feedback regarding feedback
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:55 pm 

Hi folks, Dzubak here.  I've been lurking for several months now and I introduced myself in the appropriate thread about a week ago.  I've been buying way too many things on eBay lately, in some cases as an Newbayer, but I'm learning the ropes quickly.  One thing I've wanted to ask some of the veteran eBayers is this  "How do you handle the auctions where you get an item and it isn't quite up to par?"  Nothing blaring, mind you but minor.  I'll give two examples.

1)  I won the bid on some 1st edition character sheets that were listed as 'Never Used, Mint Condition'.  I get the item and sure enough NU,MC however there are only 8 of the things!  

2)  Bought T1 in SW condition.  When it arrives, I open it up and see that the booklet has severely rusted staples.  Some stains on the inside cover and the middle of the booklet.

With the first example, I'll probably leave + feedback as I blame this one on myself.  Nowhere did the state how many sheets it had and I failed to ask (reading too much into the Never Used description).  Oh well  :roll: On the second, I guess I cannot blame the seller for knowing about the rust but it sure is annoying   :x .

Maybe these are not good examples (I have others), but I am interested in hearing from other people.  
- Do you contact the seller and attempt to work things out?  
- Do you just grin in bear it?  
- Not leave feedback at all?  
- What about Neutral feedback, what is that all about?

BTW, this site has great advice and information.  Some things I've learned:  

- Ask a lot of questions about the item if the description is vague.
- Check out the seller's feedback (and who left it).
- Determine your max bid and stick to it.
- Patience.  Having patience while looking for an item will pay off in time.

Thanks folks.   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:16 pm 

Usually for very minor quality disappointments, I don't do anything.  Hazard of buying long-distance.

For larger things, it's best to talk to the seller first before leaving any kind of feedback - see if you can come to some agreement/understanding.

For situation 1 - Depends on the description and picture if any.  Link it and let us see.  

For #2 - hard to know if the rusting would have been visible while sealed, but as a buyer, it is important to note that SW does not necessarily mean Mint condition.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:26 pm 

For #1- If the auction stated unused, then it was misrepresented. I would kindly point this out to the seller and get a partial or full refund.

For #2- Same thing.

Unfortunately, everyone and their grandmother views eBay as a way to make money selling anything they can. People put things up for sale having no clue as to what the item really is and is SUPPOSED to be. My 2 negatives were from MERP modules wherein I specifically asked if the maps were included and they were not. I wanted to return them, and was refused. Both times the seller was a MERP idiot and did not even bother to check when I asked. They were just out to make a buck on a yard sale pickup.
I view eBay as being no different than a store. If I buy something and it isn't as advertised, I get my money back.
Naturally, given my quiet, sensitive, unobtrusive personality type, I am certainly not above waiting until 1 hour before the 90 day feedback deadline is up and hammering the seller with a negative if he is a snapperhead.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:36 pm 

If the item is under $20 I usually dont bother unless its really bad.  

Most of the time sellers with a decent amount of feedbacks will work with you however so it never hurts to ask.

getting ripped off is gonna happen, ive been screwed on an item that cost me $159 on a never used vintage toy that was in average condition at best which arrived 4 month after the transaction, a lot I paid $20 which never arrived (which I won the paypal dispute but the seller closed their account so I got nothing back).  There were more but they were either settled with or without ebay/paypal.

If you are aggravated enough to dispute the transaction, my advice would be to contact the seller first...wait no more than 7-10 days for a solution.  After that email ebay or paypal customer support to start the complaint process (you only have 30 days with paypal, and 60 days with ebay).

Leaving bad feedback leaves you open for lame retaliation feedback (yes they can leave negative on you for no reason other than they want to be a dick), so I would definately wait and do this as a last resort, or before just before the 90 days expires like Deadlord said.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:23 pm 

As has been mentioned. . . you really need to politely contact the seller first.  More often than not, a seller will work with you and send a refund (partial refund) or have you return the item (few will cover return postage though).

Anyway, go into with the attitude that an honest mistake was made and anticipate the seller is an honest person as well.  Of course, this doesn't always work. . . but, it is the best way to handle things.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:51 am 

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.  You've given good advice and although I probably won't use it for these particular issues I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Regarding the character sheets, they description says "ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS PLAYER CHARACTER RECORD SHEETS. NEVER USED. MINT CONDITION."  However, there is an eBay descriptor of condition: Used on the same listing.  So I chalk this one up to my own fault.  Plus I only paid $5.75 with shipping so I'm not too worried, just slightly annoyed.

Now that I'm looking over the T1 listing it says Mint, not SW.  So I think I'll contact the seller.  But again I'm not worried, I got it for $6.5 and plan on using it, not letting it sit on a shelf.

Thanks gents.

BTW Deadlord, thanks for the suggestion on dealing with a snapperhead and I love your sig.  Man, I cannot believe how much this game has cost me!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:24 pm 

Glad to help.
Collecting is like....... a wife. It slowly, insidiously latches on to you, lulling your senses with pleasure and simultaneously draining the very lifeblood from you, until you are a wretched, withered husk.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:43 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Naturally, given my quiet, sensitive, unobtrusive personality type, I am certainly not above waiting until 1 hour before the 90 day feedback deadline is up and hammering the seller with a negative if he is a snapperhead.

LOL..smart man. I do the same thing, cuts down on the negative feedback coming back as retaliation. I save this exclusively for buyers who never contact me, never reply to any of the the notices sent, and of course never pay for the item (why on earth did they bid to begin with?).

In general, if you feel you got hosed on a deal, I'd always give the seller a chance to make it right.  If I make a mistake I'm very eager to make it up to the buyer or deliver a refund, there are a few idiots out there (cough game emporium cough) but for the most part I've found many sellers will make up their mistakes. A seller I'm dealing with for some mags just refunded some postage I overpaid on when I brought it to his attention.....very nice of him.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:30 pm 

Okay folks.  I need some advice once again.  Won a copy of Rahasia for $2.25 and paid $2.10 in S&H.  Got it yesterday and the cover has a stained and the staples are severly rusted, which in turn has stained many of the pages.  Now before bidding on the item I asked "Are there any tears or stains on the item? What about pencil or pen marks? Does it smell like smoke or mildew?"  (see I'm getting smarter  :D  )  The reply was "The only thing that is not just as it was when I purchased the module is that the "letter" (pages 31 & 32) was separated from the rest when the module was first run.  The letter is still there, it is just not attached.  There are no tears, stains or markings of any kind.  There is no odor attached, either.  It has spent the last 15 (+) years in a plastic magazine bag in a box in storage, along with the rest of my gaming supplies."

After receiving the item and discovering its condition, I told the seller that I was disappointed, and they offered me a partial refund ($3.30) if I send back the item.  Now I say that this is unfair as the item is not as described.

If I am unable to get a full refund and I choose to leave neutral (likely) or negative (unlikely) feedback is there any repercussion toward me?  Can they ding me with retaliatory feedback if they have already given me Positive feedback?

Thanks for the help.  Dzubak

For those interested the item in question is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:43 pm 

Er, do you think an item you paid $2 for is worth all the quarrel? I wouldn't bother to waste my precious time to argue about such an auction.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 pm 

Ralf,
Actually from a standing of principle I do.  I feel I was mislead and shouldn't have to pay or stand for something like that.  
Dzubak

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:02 pm 

Dzubak -
  Here is what I think:  Asking questions are great, but you have to view purchases on eBay in a completely different light if you are to be happy with what you get.  You have to tell yourself, that any item bought from a seller with very low feedback (in this case only 13) is very likely to be in a lesser condition than advertised.  For that matter, anything bought from sellers who do not specifically specialize in (or demonstrate from their previous feedback or descriptions that they have knowledge of) RPG's should be viewed as suspect.

You get a good deal on a Module ($2.25 for B4).  Well, one of the reasons you get it a couple of dollars cheaper is that people don't want to take a chance for a common module, with a small picture from an unknown seller.  

So view it like this: I am only paying $2.25 and if it arrives in great condition, then I got a pretty good deal!  If it isn't as advertised, then I will just put it up for auction myself.  It is not worth it to ship it back at your cost and still only get a partial refund.  Sure you could leave a Neg, but this situation will inevitably come up again and again.

Best advice is to only buy from those you feel confident with - or buy things cheaply and hope your deal works to your benefit.  There are sellers that you can trust - guys like Badmike, myself, 19hand, crazyegor and virtually everyone who posts on this forum.  If you end up paying $6.50 for the module plus shipping, but it arrives well packaged and as advertised, then it was worth it.  

Oh and by the way:  you are golden if they have already given you a positive.  The power if in your hands young jedi.   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:16 pm 

I want to add on to this. When looking at an item with small pictures, or any item,  make sure to read the description. Look fo details. things that wouldnt show up in the pictures. Did the seller state there is a pen mark on page 7 about 3 inches long? Detailed descriptions are vital, Ive seen things out there with minty covers that are just scribbled up to hell and back on the inside. Also when dealing with a person with low feedback, take the time to read the feedback, not all sellers are power sellers, or do they sell often. But make sure to read that feedback. Look for phrases like just as described, timely shipping, better than described, very well packaged, etc. If people are impressed with a sellers items on Ebay, they most often leave feedback with these details. Then, if you can go back and look at those items. See how they were described.  Buying from a seller with little feedback may land you a great deal, just make sure to do your homework.

What the !@#$ you mean we dont use Thac0 anymore????

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:31 pm 

Btb
Thanks for the advice.  It is certainly very good perspective and a course that I will likely take.  I'll chalk this one up to being a Newbayer once again.

Hopefully everyone doesn't think that I am such a tightwad that I can make diamonds come outta my a$$ by inserting coal.  :oops:  Really for me it is all about the principle of the matter.   

Regarding good Sellers, I am slowly beginning to notice quality characteristics of the ones that take pride in their business.  In packaging, communication, and feedback.  I start looking for those sellers that you mentioned and nominate darkseraphim as a quality one as well.

Fau_tps,
I justed noticed your post upon preview on mine.  Yes, feedback is something I've been paying close attention to lately.  One thing I've learned is that just because it's positive it doesn't mean that it is rosy.  BTW, I've done exactly as you've stated regarding the stellar feedback.

Regarding the item descriptions, I try to get around the vague ones by asking a lot of questions but sometimes it doesn't help.  

I'm slowing putting a list together of things to help Newbayers avoid the pitfalls that I have.

Thanks again.  Dzubak, the young Padawan