Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:03 am 

Item:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Seems legit  :roll:

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Anyone have a new email for WOTC? Andrew Smith one doesn't work.

Note this seller makes clear these are prints, so there's nothing shady going on unless he's incorrect when he states he has a licence from WOTC.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:05 am 

We've been here before.
In real terms this is a guy selling POD items that he has bought legitimately trying to turn a small profit
I would say that he doesn't state that he has a license just that the company he uses (Druvethru RPG or whoever it is) does have this license.

Proof of the pudding would be in buying it and see how far you get with ebay in claiming any  impropriety - I would suggest you would get exactly nowhere

Can't remember the name of the last guy who came here about this but he was particularly butt hurt and salty about it but ultimately had nothing really to say.

All this being said, from a purely reading and using point of view a lot of these are great items to have which can be gamed with without fear of impacting the value of your precious collectable, bravo to WOTC for this

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:28 am 

And another thing.
I actually bought an item from this guy, well wrapped and quickly delivered, so he comes highly recommended by me

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:04 am 

And another one:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:49 pm 

I saw that but couldn't find a way to report it on eBay.
I imagine eBay don't want people flagging up illegal stuff in their storefront because its a revenue stream and it's better to earn money than pay money to people to investigate and delete such things.
I never got why they didn't just by Craigslist and bring it into the fold.
Does anyone else have the ability to report such things?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:25 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:I saw that but couldn't find a way to report it on eBay.
I imagine eBay don't want people flagging up illegal stuff in their storefront because its a revenue stream and it's better to earn money than pay money to people to investigate and delete such things.
I never got why they didn't just by Craigslist and bring it into the fold.
Does anyone else have the ability to report such things?

Scroll down to the description, there is a "Report Item" link on the right hand side, also a button available on their mobile app. It will bring you through a "reason" menu of why you are reporting the item.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:42 pm 

What the hell is this:

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:44 pm 

Seller is on blacklist. The auction is for a perfect bound reprint of B3(both versions) with an OSR version included.  :roll:

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:30 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:Seller is on blacklist. The auction is for a perfect bound reprint of B3(both versions) with an OSR version included.  :roll:

Sellers of POD items are making money and this will continue.  While probably all of us consider this unethical or immoral, I am not sure it's illegal.  And since eBay is getting its cut, they aren't going to be quick to shut this down.  There aren't a lot of good options except to keep pointing it out.  Someone with time to kill and money to waste could sell these POD items at cost reducing these seller's profits.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:08 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:
Sellers of POD items are making money and this will continue.  While probably all of us consider this unethical or immoral, I am not sure it's illegal.  And since eBay is getting its cut, they aren't going to be quick to shut this down.  There aren't a lot of good options except to keep pointing it out.  Someone with time to kill and money to waste could sell these POD items at cost reducing these seller's profits.   :?

So long as permission is granted to print the item by the IP owner (and if its bought and printed from the likes of RPGDriveThru then it is), then the item has been legitimately purchased by the seller.
As far as I'm aware, unless eBay have a specific rule for a specific reasons (ie. Covid, masks and hand sanitiser), then a seller is allowed to sell something they have purchased legitimately that does not breach the IP owner's copyright. In most of these instances they are not even misleading the buyer, and in the cases where they fail to mention that it is a POD copy, and not a 1980's copy, then that clearly falls under caveat emptor, and not any obligation on the seller the feed buyers enough information to put them off buying.

Of course a buyer can always challenge any of his purchases through eBay of PayPal, and if eBay have too many such challenges from a single seller, they'll probably say something, but for the most part, from a buyer's perspective, it isn't worth the effort, and it teaches them not to be idiots.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:03 am 

Adding in this thread as well at the suggestion of a more experienced member.

Seller heracleides (mentioned in an earlier thread here as well) is back to selling fakes of (primarily zines) from Traveller and other systems. ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&LH_Specif ... p;_fosrp=1 Jerry Sanders out of Apache Junction, AZ but answers messages as Paul for what it's worth.

The Oracle set at least was confirmed as stolen content by the owner (issue 6 only existed in a post-original version sold through kickstarter a few years ago). In the items I returned at least one came with a CD/RW copy of the zine.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:12 am 

Dumpling wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:Adding in this thread as well at the suggestion of a more experienced member.

Seller heracleides (mentioned in an earlier thread here as well) is back to selling fakes of (primarily zines) from Traveller and other systems. ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&LH_Specif ... p;_fosrp=1 Jerry Sanders out of Apache Junction, AZ but answers messages as Paul for what it's worth.

Did a quick scrape of current listings (as of today) and they're ripping off: Sabre Press, Cargonaut Press, MGE Productions, Starquest Games, Dungeon Quest Games, MS Graphics, GDW, Pulp Quest Games, Warfield Games - if someone is doing a future keyword search and lands here or if anyone here knows any of the IP owners.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:31 pm 

This kinda burns me.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm 

To be fair, the seller is more than honest about what is being sold, they aren't "exact" duplicates, and the seller indicates that they are for specific individuals that are interested in them.

The high price is probably to discourage people from buying them outright, but it also could maximize what the seller can get for them.  A set shouldn't be worth more than $30-$60, but if someone is really interested in a cloned set of old-school dice, which they don't have to worry about wearing out like the originals, this set could be for them.

I really don't see an issue with these dice and I don't see how they violate any copyright.  Yes, they could pass onto someone else that wouldn't be honest about them, but buyers should do their due-diligence when purchasing anything for a large sum of money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 pm 

I would assume that whoever owns those original molds owns the intellectual property rights.  Unless this guy owns the original molds, making the dice by "cloning" the authentic old school polyhedrals and selling them is unambiguously wrong.  Giving them away is probably less of an issue but given how collectible these old dice are the ethical thing to do is to add a makers mark somewhere on the copy or to shift the colors enough to set them apart (kinda like they did with those Holmes copies from Garycon a few years back). I agree though - crazy price for a copy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am 

In fairness he does say that the price isn’t the asking price, but to allow for an offer of a price to be made.

Seems pretty cool to me. I thought they’d be 3D printed til I read he said they aren’t.
Must’ve been moulded from his own originals I guess.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:43 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:In fairness he does say that the price isn’t the asking price, but to allow for an offer of a price to be made.

Seems pretty cool to me. I thought they’d be 3D printed til I read he said they aren’t.
Must’ve been moulded from his own originals I guess.

I think you're right.  The copies appear to have the same wear marks as the originals.  A simple one part mold and new "old" dice!  :)

PreviousNext