Poll about collecting Print Runs
Poll: Do you collect specific print runs?

No, not at all. 33%       33%  [ 9 ]
No, but it is an option for the future. 15%       15%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but only first prints. 33%       33%  [ 9 ]
Yes, I am a die-hard collector of print runs. 19%       19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:28 am 

Something I've always wanted to know: Is collecting Print Runs an option for you?

Please post opinions on this topic. Personally, I would never consider collecting specific print runs other than maybe first prints (as an option for the future). I just can't get comfortable with the thought of spending my money on doubles of items I already own, only because they have the ISBN in a different place (for example).

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:28 am 

I wasn't really sure how to answer this one, so I didn't.  Did you mean intentionally?  :D   I seem to have obtained several different 1st edition DMGs in the last month (for no good reason) so I'm considering collecting the full set of printings.  

My wife is already beginning to question my sanity...  "You're not really a collector if it's always the same book, you're a warehouse manager."

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:42 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I wasn't really sure how to answer this one, so I didn't.  Did you mean intentionally?

Not intentionally. Are you actively seeking new print runs? Like, writing to sellers on eBay and asking about the print run etc. ... Then maybe you should vote "die-hard print run collector". If not (yet), maybe the "consider it in the future" might be your option?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:37 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:I wasn't really sure how to answer this one, so I didn't.  Did you mean intentionally?

Not intentionally. Are you actively seeking new print runs? Like, writing to sellers on eBay and asking about the print run etc. ... Then maybe you should vote "die-hard print run collector". If not (yet), maybe the "consider it in the future" might be your option?

I would if I had the money to do so.  For now I am just trying to get one of each, which is a huge drain as it is.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:14 am 

Heh, heh... May I hedge like mad?

Personally, I'd split each publication into "editions", then "print runs" within editions.

In general, significant changes in the publication (new cover or altered content) are more worthy of inclusion on my "may be of interest" list than a simple change of edition or print run.

(Treating U.S., U.K., etc., editions separately, of course...).

The other exceptions here are probably based more on condition (e.g. would buy a near-mint 2nd/3rd printing of "Greyhawk" to go along with a tatty 1st/2nd, but not give the latter away- which might be the case were the printings reversed) or rarity (e.g. will happily collect all the UK manual printings) more than actual print run.

The overarching factor, however, is budget... :)

(Good question).

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:30 am 

I don't collect multiple print runs, so much as I accumulate them.

:wink:

When I have a bunch in stock, I compare them for differences before they're out the door.  But I don't hold onto them unless there's a nostalgia factor.

Besides the obvious (Tamoachan, Inverness, Silver Princess, etc.), these are the ones that I most recommend to the casual print run collector:

* Pastels!

* B2, prior to the edit.  Some nice bits of artwork and just a more nostalgic "feel" for me.

* Deities & Demigods w/Cthulhu and such, of course.

* DMG, 1979, unrevised.  Nice artwork snippet and just fun to own.

* OD&D woodgrain.  Heh.

* Rahasia - the earlier, the better.

* World of Greyhawk folio - I just like the quality of the map printing in the earlier versions better, and the placement of the folds.

* X1, simply because the blue cover version has more charm than the red.  The printing of it doesn't much matter, though.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:13 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Personally, I'd split each publication into "editions", then "print runs" within editions.
In general, significant changes in the publication (new cover or altered content) are more worthy of inclusion on my "may be of interest" list than a simple change of edition or print run.
(Treating U.S., U.K., etc., editions separately, of course...).

That is exactly my philosophy. I am not a print run junkie, but a major differency in the cover (like 1E DM screens or record sheets) or softcover / hardcover editions (like 2E Player Option or novels) are very interesting to me.

I like the distinction between "edition" and "print run" (edition -yes, print run - no). Though, technically they are all different print runs, of course.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:51 pm 

My current goal is to obtain a complete set of first print items. That said I find it difficult to let go of items with a later print run. The thought that later prints often had/have smaller print quantities keeps running through my mind.

For me part of the fun is in the collecting. If I ever got close to completing a full set up first prints I will likely modify the goal to include full print runs just to maintain the hobby.

Cheers,
Curt

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:33 pm 

I collect different prints, but mostly non-TSR stuff. If I get a printing of a module I don't have, in a lot for example, I'll keep it, but I don't search them out. I did get a massive lot of common modules that were printed in the UK, but I haven't had time to sort thru them yet.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:36 pm 

Put me in the first print run group. Although obtaining a complete set is my basic goal. I recently changed the scope of my collection to hit only D&D (basic and boxed sets) to AD&D 1st Edition. I'll be purging all the 2nd edition and ancillary TSR stuff I have.

The only problem with 1st printings is that not all items are definitive. Some, like Orange B3, are easy to distinguish. Others are more difficult. Many times, it is nice to know that I have that first run B2 with the Otus artwork in mint condition. The only real drawback is that it is getting harder and harder to find those mint first run modules.

I have noticed a severe reduction in "quality" items appearing via ebay.  A few years ago there were many opportunities to grab that near mint/mint copy of S1 mono.

Lastly, I am almost done. I am down to about 10-15 items to close out my collection...now what?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:01 pm 

I like this question.

If the difference in print runs is significant enough (to me, at least), I'll actively seek it out. I'm talking things like a shift from wizard to face logo or three line angled banner vs. two line. I have yet to bid on an item because of ISBN placement.

Actually, part of the motivation for this is that I'm such a cheap-o that I'm not willing to hike up my max bid to get items that I still need (I'll get that reasonably good copy of GDQ1-7 for under $15 one day, by god! - including shipping, of course). So, looking for different print runs keeps me collecting.

The other motivation has to do with how I got started with collecting. Years ago I came across the red cover version of X1. It was surprising to me. I had never even known that that version of the module existed - and such a familiar module at that. So I started collecting and the interest in small (or not so small) changes with print runs was awakened - and it's the thing I find most interesting about The Acaeum.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:50 pm 

I never considered collecting print runs until one day when I was looking at my set of Greyhawk folios and I noticed each one was a different printing.  I had the 1st through 3rd printings of this item and I wasnot even trying to get them.  Now I have printing fever.  I seek out different printings and logo varients of all the D&D items, even to present 3rd ed stuff.  I think I have 6 different versions of the unearthed Arcana 1st ed; multiple printings of almost every 1st ed module and box set.  It is fun and most of this stuff is still very cheap.

Now to find the pre-pub wood grain!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:26 am 

I'm interested in owning the 1st prints simply because the older it is the more I tend to like the art, logos and design. For that reason the original X1 or DMG is more important to me than the updated version (although I keep a copy of both  :wink: ).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:21 pm 

I'm like c-d... I collect Firsts mostly, but if I also happen to acquire a different printing of something, I'll hang on to that version. I don't worry about collecting every print run obsessively.

Sometimes it's cool though.

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:44 am 

I'm most interesting in a slightly different version of editions/printings:  I want the textual variants (ents/hobbits --> treants/halflings, T1 content vs. T1 in T1-4, etc.).  For that reason I tend to try to collect first editions/first printings, but sometime I look for later versions too.  

I also like the tourneys (which are really the earliest editions/printings, I suppose), nd all things Greyhawk, of course :D  

bbarsh---if you end up deciding to unload 2e GH items and would consider trading, please ping me!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/