Woodgrain Info
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:53 pm 

We received our 3rd print Woodgrain today. Wow, really sweet. The books are in VF/NM and the box is VF.  :D

Now here is some info Stormber was interested in.

-the label on the front of the box is large
-the side label is on the left side
-the side label is "long"

We checked our 2nd print and this is what we found:

-the label on the front of the box is smaller than the 3rd
-the side label is on the right side
-the side label is "short"

Hope this helps!

Happy collecting,
Brothers Burnt

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:12 pm 

Hey Paul --

I'd be interested in getting the complete results of your research on this, when you get it all compiled.  Would be very useful to judge the printing # from just a scan of the side of the box!

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:30 pm 

Just noticed that the grain on the 2nd print runs up & down, and on the 3rd print it runs left & right.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:12 am 

Howdy,

burntwire wrote:Just noticed that the grain on the 2nd print runs up & down, and on the 3rd print it runs left & right.

Ah, you spoiled one of my surprises! :(  Thanks for the info nonetheless!

I have over 20 scans of different woodgrains compiled and contrasted. If anyone has pics of their own please email them to me at [email protected]. I am more interested in pictures that show:

1. The labels (front and side) and their location.

2. The direction of the wood-grain on the box.

3. The front covers of the three books.

Also make note of:

1. The cardstock for the book covers (new-leather exterior/white interior or buff exterior/interior).

2.  The printing number and date, if any, given on the interior of the cover of each booklet.

3. The presence of a catalog of art prints (Sets 1,2,3) on pg. 36 of Men and Magic.

4. The printing company listed on the inside back cover of each booklet.

Thanks to all who comply!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:44 pm 

Does anyone know if any woodgrains were earmarked for UK retailers and sent over here in 1974?  Or anywhere else come to that.

Or have all those that have made it over here done so privately?

Just wondering how likely I am to pick up a copy in a jumble sale/charity shop/car boot sale?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:47 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Does anyone know if any woodgrains were earmarked for UK retailers and sent over here in 1974?  Or anywhere else come to that.

Or have all those that have made it over here done so privately?

Just wondering how likely I am to pick up a copy in a jumble sale/charity shop/car boot sale?

Not too likely, but ya never know. ;)

Games Workshop certainly imported them (their D&D special of Owl & Weasel was around July 1975, a couple of months after they got their first UK dealership agreement), and my long-since-"borrowed" 3rd printing was bought second-hand (*g*) at "Games Gallery" (also RIP :(), of "Underworld Oracle" fame, in Edinburgh in mid-late 1977. They stocked other earlier TSR products, too, being a general wargames, etc., shop...

No idea as to the total number of woodgrain boxes that made it over here at the time, however.

(Hope you'd pay them more than 50 pence if you did find one at a jumble sale/charity shop/etc.!

I know I'd feel obliged to "play fair" to some degree...).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:04 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(Hope you'd pay them more than 50 pence if you did find one at a jumble sale/charity shop/etc.!

I know I'd feel obliged to "play fair" to some degree...).

OK 12 bob then.  Maybe a quid if I'm pushed! :wink: You know what they say about Yorkshiremen.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:42 pm 

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to step on your toes. :)  We just wanted to get as much info to you as possible. This is a very interesting topic and we are looking forward to your findings.