The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:33 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Northwest Highway flagship store.  Only HPB that I know of with more than 8 shelves dedicated to RPG's.

Then you're better off than with the Central Austin store, which halved its RPG space about a year ago.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:20 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I recently picked up Of Beasts and Men - an accessory for The Riddle of Steel RPG -  for 1 Euro at ebay.de. The same guy then also offered me his TRoS hardcover and Flower of Battle (both a bit worn). I got the lot for 25 EUR incl shipping. Picked up the TRoS companion at an internetshop for cover price and voila, instant TRoS collection for a little more than 50 Euros.

Anyone here into TRoS?

I also won a Ral Partha Dracolich limited Edition for 10 Euros.

And before that I found a d20 Ravenloft Tarokka deck at Nobleknight for $30 plus $8 postage to Germany. I already sold it back to Canada for $100.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:50 pm 

As anyone who has seen me at Gen Con knows, I'm a dangerous man at an auction . . . .

So, a while back, the E2C2 convention in Chicago held an auction of props from the first Iron Man movie.  I had gone on one of the days before the auction, and had taken a look at what was going up for bid.  A bunch of pretty cool stuff, including clothes, some battered pieces of the armored suits, weapons and even a few of the power thingies that go in Stark's chest.  Unfortunately, I wasn't attending the day of the auction.  :cry:

Then, on the day of the auction, my lovely and unsuspecting wife happens to mention that you don't have to be there in person to bid.  In fact, you can even bid online.  And it was going on right then.    :twisted:

So, in a flurry of typing, I log in, get qualified and see what's left.  Lots of the good stuff is gone.  All the power things, the helmets, even the bar-briefcase.  Mostly weaponry.  But that doesn't stop me.  I pick up a small lot with a 20" bomb and a couple of small landmines.  And then I see a surface to air missile.  Thinking it will go for more than I'm willing to pay, I bid.  And, much to my surprise, I win.  So I call the wife in to show her, and we look more closely at the description (something I usually recommend doing, now, BEFORE you bid on an item).  She says, did you look at the size of this?  I say, why?  Uh, 22" by 89".  You do the math.

Anyway, I end up paying more to have the thing shipped to me than I spent on the item itself.   :oops:  But, it does make a cool addition to the home office.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:16 pm 

Lol,

My wife almost rolled out of the chair laughing at this one.  My current white elephants include a pair of IBM server chasis that I once thought I would use for water cooled computers, a rusty (but sound) vintage coke machine that I have never gotten around to restoring, an oscilliscope (which ended up on ebay), etc.

Your rocket seems downright cool and manageable, atm.  hehe.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:16 pm 

You just have to be careful how you tell people, "Hey!  You have got to come over and see the size of my missile!"  :twisted:

Seriously, that's a cool auction win.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:43 pm 

benjoshua wrote:You just have to be careful how you tell people, "Hey!  You have got to come over and see the size of my missile!"  :twisted:

I think we're already come up with every possible variation on that line.   :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:37 am 

very cool :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:10 am 

Hopefully, you got the paperwork. That'll be important when you pawn it.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:59 pm 

I think I got a pretty good deal on these:

Especially considering these two recent auctions from the same seller:

Rarely am I happy when the "other guy" wants it more than I do.  In this case I am ecstatic.  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:38 pm 

A couple of those are still available from Tadashi:

http://www.diffworlds.com/fantasy_paths.htm

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 am 

TheHistorian wrote:A couple of those are still available from Tadashi:

http://www.diffworlds.com/fantasy_paths.htm

I've looked at that site probably 20 or 30 times and never noticed the "Paths" items listed before.  :|

Ah well.....went ahead and picked up Village Paths to get the set.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 am 

Over the weekend, I found some small stuff, each priced at around $5.

Excursion into the Bizarre! (A Rather Unusual Role-Playing Game) [yes, this is its name, including the parenthetical]

Sun and Storm: The Enchiridion [2 other books in the line bought -- The Codex (monsters) and The Terminus (DM screen)]

Flashing Blades

Weirder Tales... A Space Opera [supplement / adventure for Tales from the Floating Vagabond]

Compendium of Solos: A Compilation of Tunnels and Trolls Solos

Cristlegrim Dungeon: A Tunnels and Trolls GM Dungeon

Castles and Crusades - The Harbinger's Variant Box Set

Nothing too amazing, I know, considering some of the more recent buys, but I can't do that all the time... and the price was right and these things are nifty to me.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:52 am 

serleran wrote:Over the weekend, I found some small stuff, each priced at around $5.
Excursion into the Bizarre! (A Rather Unusual Role-Playing Game) [yes, this is its name, including the parenthetical]

Nice find for this one. One just sold for more than $30 yesterday

Rather uncommon and interesting for a collector. Especially at $5!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:08 am 

serleran wrote:Over the weekend, I found some small stuff, each priced at around $5.

Flashing Blades

Always heard good things about this game.

serleran wrote:Castles and Crusades - The Harbinger's Variant Box Set

What exactly is this?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I've looked at that site probably 20 or 30 times and never noticed the "Paths" items listed before.  :|

Ah well.....went ahead and picked up Village Paths to get the set.

There you go!

I feel like there was another source too, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:18 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
What exactly is this?

It is part of TLG's "Ambassador" program, for lack of a better phrase, so those who are out "Crusading" can provide a basic breakdown to the players, in the form of giving them their own small rules booklet. It comes with things like 6 quick starts (different than all the ones I've seen), a module, a copy of the PHB 4th print, an ordering form and a 2010 catalog, plus some small stuff like surveys and business cards. It is intended to be used by those running demos at conventions and the like.

This explains it better.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:31 am 

I received a DD4 village of hommlett

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0396288053

Le_rahib told me that it is one of the DD4 items that could be a collector in the future. Does anyone know how many copies were released?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:32 am 

lokiwookie wrote:I received a DD4 village of hommlett

Le_rahib told me that it is one of the DD4 items that could be a collector in the future. Does anyone know how many copies were released?

WOW.

NICE PRICE!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

PreviousNext