Dungeoneer issues 1-6
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:11 am 

Does anyone know offhand if the compendium of issues 1-6 issued by JG contains all of the content from the individual issues of Dungeoner 1-6?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:55 am 

Hi Allan -

I have the compendium, as well as the individual issues. I'm not at home so I can't double-check, but from memory the compendium isn't much thicker than a single issue... so I'm going to say it's a best-of, and not all the articles from all six issues.

BTW, I see that Tadashi has issues 1-3 up right now, with each currently at $55... I got the early issues last year for an average of $10-15 each, so i'm not sure why they've taken off this time round.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:16 am 

Mike, it really was Tadashi's auctions that made me ask the question in the first place:  since the original 3 are just 12-16 digest-sized pages each, and the compendium is 80 full-sized page, I wondered if they managed to squeeze all of the originals into the compendium.  

Having pulled out my comendium, and comparing to Tadashi's auctions at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 58876&rd=1
it doesn't look like all of the original articles are included:  "The Goodies Bag" by Paul Jaquays, J. Mark Hendricks doesn't seem to be in the compendium, for example.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:17 pm 

mdr003 wrote:BTW, I see that Tadashi has issues 1-3 up right now, with each currently at $55... I got the early issues last year for an average of $10-15 each, so i'm not sure why they've taken off this time round.

I think you did really well, Mike.
I'd happily pay $20-30 each (as with those "Space Gamer"s) without a second thought. High end, or possibly more, for mailed copies...

It could be that there haven't been many others for sale, recently.
Also, it could be the Tadashi connection. (No idea why his (file?) copies of DW haven't been signed to increase the value!).

d.

(p.s. Agree with Allan; there must be some missing content, having browsed through the "compendium" again).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:04 pm 

The only copies of 1-6 that I've seen have all gone for goodly sums of money, so the ones that Mike found must have slipped beneath the collective eBay radar, I guess :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:33 am 

Tadashi's auctions always seem to attract a premium... I guess it's because his stuff is always in exceptional condition. I've bought from him a few times, and every item has always been absolutely mint.

The compendium is full sized? I remember it being the same size (ie digest) as the individual issues, just with more pages. And now I think about it, I the auction I managed to snag was for issues 1-10, for $122. At the time I thought I'd paid a fair whack for the lot, but I see now it was a canny investment.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:47 am 

mdr003 wrote:And now I think about it, I the auction I managed to snag was for issues 1-10, for $122. At the time I thought I'd paid a fair whack for the lot, but I see now it was a canny investment.

"Investment"??
Heh, heh... that would imply reselling at a later date, Mike?

You basically paid for #1-6. As per before, #7 and 8 are "uncommon" and #9 upwards no great shakes. Still a very good purchase, IMO.

Presume you've got the later zines, too, but if not:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5922954877 , etc.
(I don't know whether the free gift offer on the back of the wrapper is being honored by the new JG ;))

mdr003 wrote:Tadashi's auctions always seem to attract a premium...

Not sure.
The earliest "Space Gamer"s didn't go sky-high and these were regularly on "wants lists" even 25 years ago (and have D&D/FRP connections). Just didn't look like there was much competition so I was lazy and only left a middling snipe bid (*cough*).

d.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:43 pm 

Spacegamers normally go pretty high? I have most issues from 11 onwards, none of which were more than a couple of dollars. The only single-digit issue I have is #5, which I got for $12 a few months ago.
When the auctions last week went to $42 each, I thought that was higher than they *should* have gone for.

Its funny how the first item in a group you buy tends to influence your views on the worth... because I paid $12 for #5, I feel I should be able to get all the other sub-10 issues for the same price. But if I'd paid $40 for it, I'd have no problem paying that price for all the others...

I guess I'll have to sell everything at some stage. I haven't planned that far ahead, but it feels like I'll probably be like Rhea - collect for 40 years, and then have a huge fire-sale on ebay to help fund my retirement.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:24 pm 

mdr003 wrote:The compendium is full sized? I remember it being the same size (ie digest) as the individual issues, just with more pages. And now I think about it, I the auction I managed to snag was for issues 1-10, for $122.

Not related to the topic, mind you, but the final prices were
#1: $129, #2: $76, #3: $71 (with the postally-sent Tadashi connection,  fwiw, should anyone pick up this thread in future without the context!).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:36 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Spacegamers normally go pretty high? I have most issues from 11 onwards, none of which were more than a couple of dollars. The only single-digit issue I have is #5, which I got for $12 a few months ago.
When the auctions last week went to $42 each, I thought that was higher than they *should* have gone for.

Its funny how the first item in a group you buy tends to influence your views on the worth... because I paid $12 for #5, I feel I should be able to get all the other sub-10 issues for the same price...

(OT)
*g*. Yes, know what you mean, Mike ;)
(Same feeling here having bought various UK fanzines at face value and not been too fussed about giving away copies).

#1s will almost always break that rule of your's anyhow. (Tadashi either doesn't have SG#1, or is holding back).
Aside from the actual content and being a well-loved, long-running series, the SGs definitely have age in their favor... When you can pick up a SG and read a review of D&D, T&T or WBRM (your #5), it's almost certain that aficionados of those will also be interesting in picking up copies for their collections. (JMO, of course).
Issues 20ish upwards don't seem to fetch too much; 11-20 should be still worth a bit. Somewhat beyond the few areas I claim any knowledge of, however...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:23 pm 

Hi,

Mike here new to the forum. We were the winners of Tadashi's space gamers, and I just recived them in the mail. We did pay a little high, but I knew if I didn't put that kind of a bid in they would have been lost. what a treat reading reviews about "this new game D&D" as you know #2 is 1975. Also Tadashi told me he dosn't have the #1 so I'm still on the lookout any help would be great. I have Dungeoners 1-23 so if you ned a scan or have a question I'll do my best to answer it for you.

P.S. I have 2 Dungeoners #2 and #3, and would be willing to trade both for a Space Gamer #1

The screen name "invincibleoverlord" was started several months back as a collaboration of friends who are currently collecting old RPG's in the planning of a gaming museum at our local game store. We also have long term goal of opening a storefront game hall, as well as a documentary now in pre-production depicting the history of gaming, it's direct links with computer RPG's of today, and just a fun look at the madcap world of gamer's much in the vain of Trekies, Dog Town and Z Boys, etc..
Our dedication to the gaming scene dates back to the late 70's / early 80's when most of us got our start and the fascination has never stopped! Any inputs, contacts, or suggestions about the film are more than welcome. As we are devoted to facts checked, and rechecked.

Thanks from all at the Guild of the Invincible Tabletop Crusading Overlords

Mike Hurley 10/3/04

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:16 pm 

*g*.
You know I'm on the same wavelength as you with regards the SGs (D&D reviews & suchlike, in addition to decent content (only from what I've heard and seen briefly, alas)).

No, I don't think you paid over-the-odds for the first few, although you're now perhaps having to do so in order to keep up the run.

SG#1... well, your swap offer might smoke out one, given the recent Dungeoneer prices; but I guess that also shows how undervalued many not-immediately-recognisable titles are (nowadays), despite these being of no small importance to RPG history.

(JMO, of course!)