G4 module by Robert Pinnell, French limited print
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:26 am 

Dear Acaeum members,

Last year, our fellow Robert (Thork) was kind enough to put at the disposal of fifteen of us one of his works previously unknown and unpublished: the first version of the module G4 "Castle of the Cloud Giant Queen". The module is back in French.

Why a French version?
I have always appreciated the work of Robert, including his G modules, glowing tribute to Gary Gygax. I equally enjoyed the first version of the G4 module, particularly in that it is aimed at a group of adventurers of non-good alignment. The idea immediately came to give my contribution to Rob's work, to translate G4 and to product a polished item, with his consent. Rob supported me throughout this translation project: he answered my questions, requests for clarification, validated small adjustments to the text or the plans that I have suggested. I would like to publically thank him sincerely for his continuing support. He helped me not to stop en route.

Beyond the translation, I tried for the first time in the computer mapping with the three levels of the dungeon maps created by Rob in the original version. Moreover, having a great admiration for Jim Holloway, I asked this fabulous illustrator of the first hour to achieve the original illustrations of the module. I thank him (and John -Deogolf-) for having accepted the job requested by a "little" French. Nevertheless, this is not the first time I ask a commission to Jim and he knows how much I enjoy each of his achievements.

Attachment:
G4FR01.jpg

Attachment:
G4FR02.jpg

Attachment:
G4FR03.jpg

Contents, module format
Module is printed in A4 size (21 x 21.9 cm). It includes a stapled booklet of 36 pages, a cover with 2 flaps not stapled to the booklet, to be able to view the plans while reading the booklet. The cover is protected by a matt coating on both faces. It has 11 illustrations, including 6 small (6 x 8 cm) and 5 medium (11 x 18 cm).
I hope I have not introduced errors during the translation. If this were the case, I thank you in advance for your indulgence.
This module has been printed in a limited edition, only 25 numbered copies and a single print run. The reasons are many: this module is much more for collectors than players who will find on internet (for free) a lot of PDF for the first edition, including on Dragonfoot.
I wish, like Rob had chosen for the original version, not to diminish the value of this item to collectors, especially for those who own the original English version. To the extent that the module is in French, some French people outside of Acaeum might be interested, particularly my old gaming friends, so I increased to 25 the number of copies rather than 15 for the original version. There will be no other print, no PDF downloading, no print version on demand. When the 25 will have been sold, there will be no more to come.

Price
I should point out the most clearly that I do not earn a penny with this translation. I made the translation and the layout for pleasure: it is a way for me to honor the creators of AD&D, to thank Rob for his work as "memory" and to offer members of the Acaeum this version. The price of the module is exactly what it cost me to print: 7.35€ + shipping cost.
I'll just try not to lose money on shipping and packing which I calculate as accurately as possible, at cost. If an error comes on my part, I will refund the difference. I will not make any hidden profit on the sale. I will lose money as long as I haven't sold all the stock.

Shipping cost including packing material
Shipments will be made with a priority letter, neither tracked nor insured. The module will be well protected, placed into a plastic sleeve, between two thick rigid cardboards, inside a card-boarded envelope.
France 3.45€, total cost 10.80€
Europe and Switzerland 6.30€, total cost 13.65€
Other countries 7.55€, total cost 14.90€
If you want a tracking outside France, add 2.50€. Tracking is available up to delivery in the following countries: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong-Kong, Ireland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New-Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, UK and USA. For other countries it is only tracked until French borders.
Shipments outside of Europe are reported value of 7.35€ on customs declaration.

Numbering
Prints #01 and #02 are attributed to Rob and me (our privilege),
Prints #03 to #20 will be awarded to ACAEUM members. Number received will be determined by payment chronology. Due to limited quantity, the module can only be purchased by regular ACAEUM members registered before the date of this post, contributing to the ACAEUM community, not by wanderers. I have no idea about the interest of this French version among members here. If there is more demand than modules to offer, I will give priority during the first days to ACAEUM members having purchased the G4 original copy from Rob: gnat-the-beggar, mbassoc2003, formcritic, lokiwookie, carrejo, davidC, misterspock, mars, ligmancer, aia, greyM, beasterbrook, scathaigh, dndgeek, ak'ptui. Without interest manifested by those members by 14th April, modules will be no more reserved for them and sold to ACAEUM members according to a waiting list I may put in place. Only one module can be bought by member.
Prints #21 to #25 are aimed at my "old" gaming friends in France.

Order, payment, shipment
Please respect the following instructions in order to get a prompt answer and to help me in managing the process.
I record the order only by personal message here. Thank you for giving your complete personal postal address and specify if you want a tracking. Then if module is still available, I confirm the order by PM, I give you the exact amount to pay including shipping and packing cost and we manage the payment through PAYPAL. For simplicity and speed, the payment can only be made by PAYPAL, including French orders. Payment has to be made in Euros (€). The time of receipt of your payment on my PAYPAL account determines the shipping order and the module number you will get. If I do not receive your payment within 3 days after my confirmation email, I reserve the right to cancel the booking and transfer it to another buyer in the waiting list in case the stock is depleted.

Delivery time
I ask a little patience. My family, my friends, my work (and my collection) keep me busy almost full time. Shipments will be gradually made, in numerical order of the modules. I will send an email to every buyer once sent. When sending follow-up, I will give you the tracking number if you chose this option. If you have paid but not received an email, it is that the shipment has not yet been made. Please be patient. It could take up to a few weeks, so please do not be disappointed if you do not get your order as quickly as wished.

Once delivered
Please take a few minutes in confirming the delivery.

Feedback
Feedback is welcome, I'm sure it will also please Rob. This could make up my mind to decide (or deter) me about future D4 & D5 translations. It would be a huge task and I would start it only with the certainty it will generate an expectation.

In case of a higher demand than supply, I apologize in advance for those who will not be served among ACAEUM members.

Thanks for your interest and thanks again to you, Rob. I had a good moment in working on this project, it was hard and long, I just hope some collectors here will appreciate the result.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:36 am 

Hi, PM sent

If I can have the #3 as for all other Thork items, it would be great. Otherwise, another number is fine :)

Great great job!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 am 

Absolutely wonderful project!!!  :D  I love the cover illustration by Jim Holloway.  Outstanding!

You can put me down for one copy, but I am not hopeful that the other Acaeum members will back out.  You have a winner here. :)

Well done, sir!

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:23 am 

NICE!
This looks wonderful to me.

Obviously, since I could not read French anyway... I wish to buy a copy just for the artwork alone.
Plus my ever growing wish to be a completist for Rob's work.
My run of Pinnell #1's has come to an end though...  :lol:

FWIW: Assuming the quality is what it looks like in your pictures, I will want to purchase copies of ALL your translations of Rob's works.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:35 am 

Excellent job, I am interested in a copy, will PM you.

Us spanish speakers should do the same and translate this module in spanish  :D

Jorge

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 am 

Wow, what an effort!  The mod looks fantastic, I'm in for sure!

Now, I have to polish up my middle school Canadian French... I'll have my work cut out :)

Thanks for doing this, Dwarf!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:08 am 

I'm in also. Will PM. I know a little french so it would be a perfect opportunity to practice. It looks amazing in the photos.

A spanish translation would be awesome. Maybe someday I will pick up that challenge.

Thanks for this, dwarf and Thork.

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:44 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:My run of Pinnell #1's has come to an end though...  :lol:

While my #3 will not!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  

davidc wrote: middle school Canadian French...

That exists? :D Canadian French? Oh "Calisse j'ai pogné le module ! Estie!"

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm 

I would like to add to this my personal comments.
I was amazed when Christian contacted me, explaining his proposal. It literally, blew me away.
He has maintained a consistent professional, ethical and pleasant communication with me throughout the entire process.
The quality of what he has produced is something I believe will send a ripple through the gaming community. It is, without doubt, an impeccable piece of work (all his and Jim's), and should show some of the "Big Dogs in the junkyard" that small, independent publishers can not only compete with them, but kick their asses too, once in a while.
I fully approve of this project. Christian and I agreed from the outset that it would not be a "for profit" event.
But I hope, in the future--should he decide to continue his efforts--that you, the members, allow him some kind of reward for his herculean work.
I would like to personally thank Chris. He has done something wonderful. And I hope it inspires other members from other countries to consider following in his footsteps.

RC Pinnell/aka Thorkhammer

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:50 pm 

PM sent, that looks awesome! My wife speaks French, maybe this can be the gateway module to a role playing spouse!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:29 pm 

8O

Intéressé je suis !
Great work, dwarf, count me in if it is possible !

:D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:38 pm 

Thanks all for your support, either here or via personal message. It is a strong encouragement for me to think about potential future works. I think of course to D4 and D5 modules.

I have spent most of my afternoon to register orders and to answer to your many positive emails. Thanks a lot. It is honestly much more than expected. I hope you will be satisfied by the module once you will have it in hands.

It was decided to give a one week priority to the fifteen buyers of the English version. I have received many demands from other members. So I already need to establish a waiting list for coming asks.
I will send you a PM to inform you if a copy becomes available.

To the attention of the members among the fifteen mentioned in the original post, who do not have yet asked for a copy and/or confirmed an order : it would be much appreciated if you could leave me a PM, even if you are not interested to get a copy. In such a case, it would help me to answer in a positive way to another member who is on the waiting list.

Thanks.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:53 am 

Howdy, i am in, of course i'd really love to have #15...

PM on the way...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 am 

I'm in too.  If you could ship it with Davidc's copy that would be great.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:46 am 

A quick update : the last two modules have just been attributed to 2 members on the waiting list. The sale is now closed.

Thanks for your kind support.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:43 pm 

My copy arrived a moment ago in a well packed well protected state.
No shipping damage and it truly Looks Great.
As indicated above; the cover is separate from the booklet (as in old school TSR) and made with nice thick stock... very solid.
The booklet is also made with good paper stock.
The Blue Maps (Also old school TSR) on the inside and outside (rear) of the cover are superbly crafted and look as good as any I have ever seen.
Artwork is also top quality throughout the book and on the front cover.
I am very pleased to add this item to my collection. :D
Thank you once again for doing this awesome project and to Robert Pinnell for writing such a great adventure in the first place.  8)

Limited edition Numbering: I assumed the books would be numbered as X of 25... but this copy is not numbered at all.
The only number I noted was a number hand written (black magic marker) at the upper edge of the plastic slip cover (by the binder holes).
The slip cover being a common insert for holding items in a 3 ring binder.
Nothing on or in the book itself to indicate this books number.
I am glad you did provide the plastic slip cover though as I have nothing on hand to put this larger A4 size book into otherwise.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:15 pm 

Hi Gnat

Thanks for your feedback.

I should have mentioned that the number X/25 is on the bottom of page 33, under the credits block.

You should find your number there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:22 pm 

I just received my copy as well.
And all I can say is, THANK YOU, MERCI BEAUCOUP, Christian, for such a wonderful job you did. I can see how much you cared about what you were doing--and it is truly a labor of love.

If you decide to do the same sometime in the future for the rest of the trilogy, I expect it will become quite collectible.

A small announcement, if I may--

the 2nd copy in my possession (#20) is going to be available soon.
I don't know if Badmike and Doug want this known or not, but I am sending them #20 signed by me, along with a Special 2012 North Texas RPG CON edition (with a completely new cover) of my 2009 G4, signed as well. They will be auctioning these items as a Set, in June. I hope some of you can get down there and do some serious bidding--all to help keep the CON alive(No % for me. Its my way of helping the OSR community).

But back to Christian's fantastic accomplishment!
It is work of art. Jim Holloway's additions and the remaking of the maps truly elevates this French edtition into a collector's showpiece. IMNSHO  :oops:
I hope everyone that managed to obtain a copy, is a overjoyed as I am.
And, if so, let Christian/Dwarf, know so.

Again, Merci, Christian

RC

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Next