G4 module by Robert Pinnell, French limited print
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:14 pm 

Gnat wants to know...
So the NTRPG Con 2009 G4 module?
Is this only one copy, or are there several copies?

There are only 3 printed copies. One for me, one for Christian, and one to the winner of the auction at NTRPGCON this year.
The inside is essentially unchanged, except for the cover, and a short added paragraph at the end.

If Badmike &/or Doug inform/s me it is okay, I will post a pic of this 2012 North Texas RPGCON Edition cover for everyone to see. Otherwise, I must keep it under the hat till after the auction.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:46 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote:Gnat wants to know...
So the NTRPG Con 2009 G4 module?
Is this only one copy, or are there several copies?

There are only 3 printed copies. One for me, one for Christian, and one to the winner of the auction at NTRPGCON this year.
The inside is essentially unchanged, except for the cover, and a short added paragraph at the end.

If Badmike &/or Doug inform/s me it is okay, I will post a pic of this 2012 North Texas RPGCON Edition cover for everyone to see. Otherwise, I must keep it under the hat till after the auction.

You can post it Thork!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:20 am 

Badmike wrote:
Thork N Hammer wrote:Gnat wants to know...

You can post it Thork!

Mike B.

Okay, here it is

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:29 pm 

Cool Thorks!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 pm 

Merci Christian and Thanks Thork.
Superbe!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 pm 

As the very proud owner of the original G4, it was a no-brainer for me to buy the french version. Christian, I congratulate you on a 'magnifique' job!! The art is amazing, the book quality is on par with the best I've seen. Amazing effort at a ridiculously low price (IMO). Can't wait for D4 and D5.

Makes me hungry for Spanish versions...

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote:
Okay, here it is
[Image ]

Make this available for all of us! Make this available! Strike! Strike!  :lol:

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:52 pm 

Mine arrived today, in perfect condition. The packaging job was tremendous, took me five minutes to get to the goods! Very impressed, and also jealous that my wife can read it with ease while I struggle to understand. Bravo Christian, count me in for the next one!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 am 

Ligmancer wrote:Mine arrived today, in perfect condition. The packaging job was tremendous, took me five minutes to get to the goods! Very impressed, and also jealous that my wife can read it with ease while I struggle to understand. Bravo Christian, count me in for the next one!

ditto!
great great work!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 am 

Yes, the package was awesome. It will survive even a tsunami!

I went through the module more carefully. Artworks and maps are amazing. I feel like reading a original TSR module!

Chucho68 wrote:
Thork N Hammer wrote:
Okay, here it is
[Image ]

Make this available for all of us! Make this available! Strike! Strike!  :lol:

Hector.

+1  :D

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 am 

Chucho68 wrote:Make this available for all of us! Make this available! Strike! Strike!  :lol:
Hector.

+2

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:29 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
Chucho68 wrote:Make this available for all of us! Make this available! Strike! Strike!  :lol:
Hector.

+2

Our copies arrived safely, I echo the above comments: the packaging was awesome, and the production quality of the module is fantastic.  Christian, you hit a home run with this one :)

Thank you!!!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:44 pm 

dwarf wrote:Thanks all for your support, either here or via personal message. It is a strong encouragement for me to think about potential future works. I think of course to D4 and D5 modules.

Superb job -- I really appreciate the effort you put into this. and last but not least, your packing was excellent too!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:45 pm 

The module arrived today and is beautiful. Well done! The Holloway cover and old school, blue maps really make the book come alive :)  

Now to try and remember my high school French.  8O

Thanks again.  :D

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:40 pm 

And a very belated "thank you", Christian. I've only just had an opportunity to breach the packaging and spend an hour or two reading (stumblingly!) through. When I could stop myself from admiring the typography (is it still permitted to use that word) and general "look and feel" and print quality of the translated module, that is...

lokiwookie wrote:Yes, the package was awesome. It will survive even a tsunami!

I went through the module more carefully. Artworks and maps are amazing. I feel like reading a original TSR module!

Seconded, throughout. :)

Superb work (+kudos to Robert for the "original", of course) and you know my thoughts as to wishing that more people might have been able to obtain - and enjoy, and even use - a copy. I'll probably have to forward this one in due course...

Cheers!
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:00 pm 

Dear Acaeum members,

There was just one year, some of you acquired the French translation of module G4 The Castle of the Cloud Giant Queen, written by Robert Pinnell. The English original manuscript was distributed in a limited print by Rob in  2011. Your very positive feedback encouraged me to continue. Thank you for the compliments. Unexpectedly, the most positive feedback came from several English-spoken members. If they surely can't (fully) appreciate the translation, they could at least enjoy maps and original illustrations. This feedback convinced me to pursue. Nevertheless, I must say that I hesitated to do so. This is indeed a lot of work, entirely taken over my family time. Like any non-profit project, even if all copies were sold in the week, I have not earned a penny, as I indicated from the beginning. However, in fact I even lost a little money. Some of you inadvertently paid a little less than the asking price or let me fully pay the PAYPAL fees. That's why I'm a little more demanding for D4, which still remains a project for the pleasure of sharing, not a commercial operation. It remains a non-profit operation. Perhaps I will ultimately be able to offer a coffee to my friends.... The unfailing support of Rob and the confidence he has given me were decisive. I hope that this release will bring him some comfort in the difficult period that he is currently undergoing. My thoughts are directed to you Rob!

The second module in the series, D4 Dangerous Adventures in the Realms Dwarf, arrives in French, edited in a numbered edition, limited to 25 copies, as for the G4. I was sensitive to the desire expressed by some of you to have a larger printing. I know that some French and international players/collectors have regretted the limited print. I recall that this choice was dictated by the limited edition of the original, intended to be a collector's item and not a commercial one. Members who have supported the approach of Rob since the beginning have bought the item mainly as a collector's item. In conjunction with Rob, we have maintained this principle for the French version. It is not to say that one day, I will not produce a module by myself, whose distribution will be wider, but it is another matter.

As for the G4 module, the superb original handmade maps were performed on computer. I kept the style of the TSR modules with a blue background. A style that I love, and you also obviously. Rob designed numerous maps for this module. They were also more difficult to achieve than those from the G4 which were essentially straight dungeons. D4 maps have very few straight sections. Rob has done an excellent job in mapping the adventure. The maps include two sectional views: one illustrates the underworld beneath the mountain. The second one shows one of the main encounter hex described in the module. There's also the underworld hex map (one DM version in blue, one players version in black at the end of the booklet, for easy photocopy). Hex maps follow the style of maps in the D modules written by Gary Gygax. I first thought it was easy to do, but in fact it required a long labor. I am satisfied with the final result and I hope you will be too. Unlike the G4, for which I had first realized the maps with a specialized software then finished with Photoshop, all D4 maps were made entirely with Photoshop. The hardest was the pattern for water, in particular the distinction between different water depths for the first hex encounter. As said earlier, there are many maps. So I thought long and hard about the cover and how the maps are allocated. I concluded that a single cardboard cover like the G4 was not enough. The maps would have been too small and difficult to read, or some would have been included in the booklet in black ink. A 6-page cover (3 panels) would have been perfect, but it is an option that is not available at a reasonable price. So I opted for a double cardboard cover. This provides more flexibility and allows for good readability. Obviously, this significantly increases the cost of production. Each cover is printed exactly as it was for the G4:  thick cardboard, mat coating protection on each side, A4 21x29.7 cm format.
The text of the D4 is a little shorter than the G4. Hence the booklet is 28 pages instead of 36 for the G4. The selected paper and presentation are identical to G4.

Illustrations: I love illustrations! Again, I have enlisted the talents of Jim Holloway, an expert in the art of illustration in the TSR style that we all love. I take advantage of this message to publically thank Jim. His participation was essential to convince me to work on this project. Jim drawings are of high quality. They have a great level of detail. Thanks Jim, your participation is much appreciated!
In my mind, a little less text means a bit more illustrations: D4 thus has one cover illustration, 1 back cover illustration as for the early modules produced by TSR, 11 interior illustrations (3 small, 7 medium and 1 full size illustration in the center of the booklet).

The price of printing and paper increased slightly in one year. The book has fewer pages but there are two cardboard covers, hence the increase of the final price. This time, I will add the cost for packaging: even if I recycle as much as possible, the price will include envelope/tape/plastic sleeve prices. I will also include the estimated PAYPAL fees.

Naturally I reserve a copy to each member who has acquired the French version of the G4. You will receive an email shortly from me to inform you directly with the price. You can of course not wait for my email and tell me here or in personal message if you wish to confirm or not a purchase. Price should end around 13.50€ + shipping cost (from 7.35€ to 11.50€ depending on final weight, no insurance, no tracking). I will calculate the exact price once I have the booklet printed. The booklet will be printed soon. Covers are already available. I will surely begin shipments between 5th and 9th April by order of  payments. Without message from owners of the G4 in French by April 5, I will reserve the opportunity to sale to other interested members here. Regarding the numbering, the easiest way is to reassign the same numbers as for the G4. If it does not fit enough members, I may use another method (random, payment chronology).

I hope you will have as much pleasure to see the results that I had to translate this module.

Christian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 pm 

Oh, yes, I am highly interested !
:D
It looks great and superb...
Congrats for your (secret) work !

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 pm 

Glad to hear you're moving forward with another. I'm in!

PreviousNext