Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:11 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:06 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

These are fairly common.  I wonder if it has the black and white photo box bottom (I think was printed first) or the color photo box bottom?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:49 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:These are fairly common.  I wonder if it has the black and white photo box bottom (I think was printed first) or the color photo box bottom?

I will look when I get home tonight. The Second Edition is far more common than a first. I scanned through a number of eBay listings before putting mine up. This is a true First Edition. The Second Edition has "Second Edition" printed in the bottom right corner of the cover from what I can tell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:01 pm 

The box bottom on the first is black and white. The second is in color. In interests of completeness, here's some more info. The cover artwork between the two editions is completely different, and the single book in the first edition has become three books in the second. The biggest difference between the two editions is that the starship combat rules were removed in the second edition. Deluxe editions of both games were released, each which included the Star Trek II or Star Trek III Starship Combat Game, predecessors to the later Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. The second edition deluxe game however did not include the blueprints found in the first edition.

First edition copies are not that common, and the deluxe first edition virtually impossible to find. Second edition is more common as it had a longer lifespan than the first edition. The second edition deluxe is harder to find than the basic game, but not as difficult to find as the deluxe first edition.

In my opinion, the price on the auction is too high, especially with the chits being punched. Of course, with Star Trek's 50th anniversary coming up next month, this is a perfect time to sell it, and I'm sure someone will buy it at this price.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:00 pm 

Traveller wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:In my opinion, the price on the auction is too high, especially with the chits being punched. Of course, with Star Trek's 50th anniversary coming up next month, this is a perfect time to sell it, and I'm sure someone will buy it at this price.

Perhaps. I checked a lot of other auctions and saw a lot of second editions going for around $25, and I saw only one or two first editions (one of which was priced at $150 IIRC) so I priced accordingly. At least at this price, if it goes to a bidding war I'll get what I want out of it. If it doesn't and sells for my asking, I'll still get what I want. And if it doesn't sell, I can drop the price and re-list it.  8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 pm 

Traveller wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:The box bottom on the first is black and white. The second is in color. In interests of completeness, here's some more info. The cover artwork between the two editions is completely different, and the single book in the first edition has become three books in the second. The biggest difference between the two editions is that the starship combat rules were removed in the second edition. Deluxe editions of both games were released, each which included the Star Trek II or Star Trek III Starship Combat Game, predecessors to the later Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. The second edition deluxe game however did not include the blueprints found in the first edition.

First edition copies are not that common, and the deluxe first edition virtually impossible to find. Second edition is more common as it had a longer lifespan than the first edition. The second edition deluxe is harder to find than the basic game, but not as difficult to find as the deluxe first edition.

In my opinion, the price on the auction is too high, especially with the chits being punched. Of course, with Star Trek's 50th anniversary coming up next month, this is a perfect time to sell it, and I'm sure someone will buy it at this price.

I collected FASA for a long time.  There is a first edition boxed set that has a color box bottom and not the black and white as usual (I owned it).  This stuff is actually easier to find then you may realize.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:41 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:I collected FASA for a long time.  There is a first edition boxed set that has a color box bottom and not the black and white as usual (I owned it).  This stuff is actually easier to find then you may realize.  :D

Thanks for all the feedback and input. If it doesn't sell at this price, I'll consider dropping the price and re-listing or maybe hang on to it until the 50th Anniversary festivities kick off, I don't know. I have a bunch of other ST memorabilia that I am planning on putting up next year. Just collecting dust and I'm at the age where I want to focus my collecting on one obsession instead of multiples. I'd love to use the money to buy some really nice AD&D item(s).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:04 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:
Traveller wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:The box bottom on the first is black and white. The second is in color. In interests of completeness, here's some more info. The cover artwork between the two editions is completely different, and the single book in the first edition has become three books in the second. The biggest difference between the two editions is that the starship combat rules were removed in the second edition. Deluxe editions of both games were released, each which included the Star Trek II or Star Trek III Starship Combat Game, predecessors to the later Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. The second edition deluxe game however did not include the blueprints found in the first edition.

I collected FASA for a long time.  There is a first edition boxed set that has a color box bottom and not the black and white as usual (I owned it).  This stuff is actually easier to find then you may realize.  :D

Hehe, I looked and I guess I still own a bunch of FASA ST:RPG stuff!

Sorry for the glare on the middle boxed set in both photos.  :?

So, contents of both Star Trek The Role Playing Game are identical, well, except for dice and chits are a bit different.  As you can see in the pictures, the covers are the same all away around (even the box bottoms have the same graphics on the sides of the box - hidden by the box cover!).  Only differences are the second box cover is redesigned (including picture placement), adding the picture of the contents at the bottom, the pictures are in color, and the there are minor changes in the text inside the middle rectangle.

I added the second edition basic game box set (still in the original shrink) just cause!  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:57 pm 

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

So, contents of both Star Trek The Role Playing Game are identical, well, except for dice and chits are a bit different.  As you can see in the pictures, the covers are the same all away around (even the box bottoms have the same graphics on the sides of the box - hidden by the box cover!).  Only differences are the second box cover is redesigned (including picture placement), adding the picture of the contents at the bottom, the pictures are in color, and the there are minor changes in the text inside the middle rectangle.

I added the second edition basic game box set (still in the original shrink) just cause!  :D

I'll have to have a look at the bottom of mine when I get home tonight. Would you consider the b/w back as a First Edition: First Printing and the color back as a First Edition: Second Printing?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

I'll have to have a look at the bottom of mine when I get home tonight. Would you consider the b/w back as a First Edition: First Printing and the color back as a First Edition: Second Printing?

Both appear to be the first edition of the game.  In my opinion, the b&w box bottom probably is earlier.  If you notice, the photos on the color box bottom are in the same order as the box bottom of the second edition basic game (sans the picture of the contents) which leads me to believe it's closer in the production time line to the second edition basic game.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:34 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!: Both appear to be the first edition of the game.  In my opinion, the b&w box bottom probably is earlier.  If you notice, the photos on the color box bottom are in the same order as the box bottom of the second edition basic game (sans the picture of the contents) which leads me to believe it's closer in the production time line to the second edition basic game.

I would have to agree. It looks like they used the photos from the First Edition 2nd Printing as a template for the Second Edition.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:17 pm 

I hate being wrong, but I'm wrong here regarding the back cover. I had the color back and never saw the black and white back. :)

As to the sets you routinely find on ebay I tend to see more second editions than first. I rarely see deluxe sets, and when I do, they're all second edition. I believe I've only seen ONE first edition deluxe set on ebay, and the owner wanted nearly $300 for it, which is way too high. On average, those go for about $100, and for the longest time I was looking for one. I stopped after receiving a copy of the blueprints and the adventure book, the two things pulled from the deluxe set when it went to the second edition, from a 1st edition basic set a coworker once had that was missing the rulebook and chits. They go along nicely with my full size sets of Enterprise and D7 deck plans, but are easier to carry around.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:28 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!: So, contents of both Star Trek The Role Playing Game are identical, well, except for dice and chits are a bit different.  As you can see in the pictures, the covers are the same all away around (even the box bottoms have the same graphics on the sides of the box - hidden by the box cover!).  Only differences are the second box cover is redesigned (including picture placement), adding the picture of the contents at the bottom, the pictures are in color, and the there are minor changes in the text inside the middle rectangle.

Just looked. I've got a second printing. The back is color. Bonus though... Going through the box I found a couple pages from what looks like Axis and Allies.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:42 pm 

Traveller wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:I hate being wrong, but I'm wrong here regarding the back cover. I had the color back and never saw the black and white back. :)

As to the sets you routinely find on ebay I tend to see more second editions than first. I rarely see deluxe sets, and when I do, they're all second edition. I believe I've only seen ONE first edition deluxe set on ebay, and the owner wanted nearly $300 for it, which is way too high. On average, those go for about $100, and for the longest time I was looking for one. I stopped after receiving a copy of the blueprints and the adventure book, the two things pulled from the deluxe set when it went to the second edition, from a 1st edition basic set a coworker once had that was missing the rulebook and chits. They go along nicely with my full size sets of Enterprise and D7 deck plans, but are easier to carry around.

I'm a bit confused by the terms your using.  As far as I know, there was only one deluxe game set and that was for the second edition of the game (when it was broken into the basic game box set and the deluxe game box set).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:17 pm 

I went by memory in speaking, and should have simply looked it up. That said, there are two different deluxe second edition sets. One is a limited edition which included the blueprints and the adventure book in addition to everything else in the box. This version is exceptionally rare, to the point that it's almost never seen. When it is, it's usually for high prices. The more common deluxe set doesn't have the blueprints.

There isn't a first edition deluxe set, but there is a limited edition first edition set with signatures by Walter Koenig and James Doohan.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:29 pm 

Traveller wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:I went by memory in speaking, and should have simply looked it up. That said, there are two different deluxe second edition sets. One is a limited edition which included the blueprints and the adventure book in addition to everything else in the box. This version is exceptionally rare, to the point that it's almost never seen. When it is, it's usually for high prices. The more common deluxe set doesn't have the blueprints.

There isn't a first edition deluxe set, but there is a limited edition first edition set with signatures by Walter Koenig and James Doohan.

WOW!  8O

The limited edition first edition set that is signed, is the box cover any different (does it say it's a limited edition)?

The limited edition deluxe second edition, same thing.  Any way to distinguish it from the "regular" deluxe second edition box set?

Thanks
muaddib5

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:20 pm 

The limited first editions with the signatures have a sticker marking them as signed, and who signed them. Other than that, they are identical to the standard copies. Note that either Koenig or Doohan signed the book, not both.

As for the second edition, the limited editions say "Deluxe Limited Edition" on the box top instead of "Deluxe Edition". I stopped looking for one of these a long time ago, as I couldn't find one to purchase and couldn't afford it. I acquired a set of blueprints and adventure book that were separated from their first edition rulebook and placed them into my deluxe edition box.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm 

Traveller wrote in FASA Star Trek RPG 1st Edition!:The limited first editions with the signatures have a sticker marking them as signed, and who signed them. Other than that, they are identical to the standard copies. Note that either Koenig or Doohan signed the book, not both.

As for the second edition, the limited editions say "Deluxe Limited Edition" on the box top instead of "Deluxe Edition". I stopped looking for one of these a long time ago, as I couldn't find one to purchase and couldn't afford it. I acquired a set of blueprints and adventure book that were separated from their first edition rulebook and placed them into my deluxe edition box.

Great information!  Thank you!  I was digging through a lot I purchased and found a set of the smaller size blue prints signed by Doohan!  I don't think these were from one of the box sets as the signature was customized to a specific person.

Next