Have you seen Heroscape?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:47 am 

A game that I have recently been introduced to is Heroscape. It is a pretty amazing miniatures combat boardgame. Anyway, this game appears to have all the makings of an instant classic. Any company producing a game this good is bound to discontinue it or mess it up somehow!

Check it out:

404 No Results Found  

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

I wonder if these things will ever be worth something down the road...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:09 pm 

Especially considering that it's Hasbro producing it.  What other game did they produce and subsequently screwed up?

That's right boys and girls, it's d20 Fantasy!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:56 am 

Wasn't the whole d20 thing in place before Hasbro took over?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:50 am 

Actually, Heroscape is pretty cool, although its relationship to old-school D&D is tenuous, at best (unless you advance the argument that D&D's roots are in miniatures gaming).

One fun thing a buddy and I have already done is translate some of our old AD&D PCs into Heroscape characters (this isn't quite as far-fetched as it sounds; the game's back-story involves Valhalla, dead heroes, redemption, and similar things). It's more than a little fun to match your old characters against Battletch-style robots, Men In Black, deadly samurai, and psychotic orcs riding big dinos. I've also finally found a use for the D&D Miniatures I've bought, since I absolutely refuse to play D&D Minis' so-called "skirmish rules."

For those on the fence, I recommend taking a look at Heroscape. The price is usually right, too, as Toys-R-Us, Wal-Mart, and some other major retailers are carrying it. It's also in stock at Amazon.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:37 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Actually, Heroscape is pretty cool, although its relationship to old-school D&D is tenuous, at best (unless you advance the argument that D&D's roots are in miniatures gaming).

Well, I just meant to bring this game to people's attention as it strikes me as an instant classic that is destined to sell well on Ebay years from now after it goes out of print. Just like HeroQuest (which is basically a D&D rip-off boardgame). 6 degrees of separation, baby!  :lol:

I intend to buy every expansion, as I know it is destined to go out of print and then have some of the boosters go for insane amounts. Or maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. It just seems wrong for it to be in print since all the other games I like are OOP.  :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:35 am 

Well if I were a betting man I would say that Heroscape is going be the new Talisman.

And for all you who Buy "one" to play and "one" to keep Amazon has 2 for one of lots of Hasbro/MB games...including Heroscape Master Set

Amazon.com: Hasbro Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie: Toys & Games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:49 pm 

outskirtsofinfiniti wrote:Wasn't the whole d20 thing in place before Hasbro took over?

Yes, but Hasbro felt it necessary to persuade people to buy new books for a game that they bought a year ago.  That's screwed up.  But then again d20 Fantasy is screwed up.  That's what happens when you trade on name recognition instead of making quality product.

WotC screwed up the Dune RPG as well, letting the license slip away while they were dickering about what to do with it.  You had tons of people wanting a Dune RPG, and because WotC dropped the ball, the closest they can come to it now is using Space Master and a copy of the Dune Encyclopedia.  Unless of course you happen to be one of the lucky ones to own a copy of Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium, whether by purchasing it at Gen Con, or buying it on ebay, where it routinely goes for low triple digits.

Ever since TSR was bought out, the Dungeons & Dragons name has had a tarnished reputation.  Many people swear by the current sets of rules, but then again those same people seem to have a need of rules for practically everything.  You know, I could rant on and on regarding the faults of that monstrosity, but I would just recommend going to Mortality and reading Halaster Blackcloak's essays regarding what's wrong with d20 Fantasy.  You may not totally agree with what he has to say on the topic, but I don't believe he's far off the mark either.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:39 pm 

Traveller wrote:Ever since TSR was bought out, the Dungeons & Dragons name has had a tarnished reputation. Many people swear by the current sets of rules, but then again those same people seem to have a need of rules for practically everything. You know, I could rant on and on regarding the faults of that monstrosity.

Are we a ranting fan boy much Traveller? I don't like ripping people much, but your post reeks of a non-rational bias. Remember, some of us here are those " people swear by the current sets of rules, but then again those same people seem to have a need of rules for practically everything."

Or, you could just argue to point. Which I suspect, based on your post , you will :roll:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:41 pm 

And I'll add my interest in Heroscape, need to pick up a copy of that, as I have not bought any new board games in a while.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:44 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
Traveller wrote:Ever since TSR was bought out, the Dungeons & Dragons name has had a tarnished reputation. Many people swear by the current sets of rules, but then again those same people seem to have a need of rules for practically everything. You know, I could rant on and on regarding the faults of that monstrosity.

Are we a ranting fan boy much Traveller? I don't like ripping people much, but your post reeks of a non-rational bias. Remember, some of us here are those " people swear by the current sets of rules, but then again those same people seem to have a need of rules for practically everything."

Or, you could just argue to point. Which I suspect, based on your post , you will :roll:

Actually Ike, you'll find that on this forum I do not generally rant about d20 Fantasy, as such rants have very little place here. However, having owned d20 Fantasy rules, playing them, currently owning d20 Star Wars rules, owning both 1st Edition and 2d Edition AD&D, B/X D&D, Rules Cyclopedia D&D, Holmes Basic D&D, and OD&D, I do think I am in a position to plainly state that I simply cannot stand d20 Fantasy. I also believe if you check back on Collecting General, you will find that I provide solid reasons as to why I do not like d20 Fantasy. Heck, I even think you could check usenet and find my "20 reasons why you shouln't switch to d20 Fantasy" post (under my real name).

I firmly believe that WotC and Hasbro dropped the ball big time, went out of their way to alienate the players (players such as me) who preferred a more rules-light approach such as what B/X D&D or OD&D provides, and ruined the game.  Because of my intense dislike of d20 Fantasy as it currently stands, I've spent the last year or so crafting my own alternative as well as having playtested an alternative that is currently available now (Castles & Crusades).  I am not alone in thinking that the game was ruined. Just ask Gary. He'll likely refer you to his GameSpy interview.

Now, if you wish to keep referring to me as a "fanboy", that is your perogative.  In the end, I really don't give a damn what you think about me or my views.