Spawn of Fashan - Author POD
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am 

Hello All Spawn of Fashan Fans,

I reached out to Mr. Davis (Kirby), the author of Spawn of Fashan (SoF) and mentioned my interest along with others here on the Acaeum forum. I would also gather members of the Dragonsfoot forum would have some interest as well, so if any of you are influential on their platform, please let them know about this opportunity. I mentioned to Kirby that we both attended OU (Univ. of Oklahoma) around the same time (he was 3 years before me). He said that if there is sufficient interest to generate 10 or more copies, then he would be willing to provide a discount, even more so if we can get to 20 copies. Can we please get a count of who would like a copy?

Here is what he said about the current prints:

Kirby L. Davis: "As you might expect, I sold out of the original run long ago, so I no longer number them. The signed books replicate the original content and cover, plus the two-page update added with the first reprint nearly 20 years ago. I replaced the comb binding with a spiral, and added clear plastic covers front and back. I normally charge $55 a copy, which covers shipping."

He did not mention what kind of discount, but let's see how many people want a copy and then we can see what kind of discount he would be willing to offer. Maybe we can get closer to 20 people ;-)

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Last edited by PM-Knight on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:23 am 

Acaeum SoF Order Tally

Prufrock = 1
Copycat = 1, maybe 2
PM-Knight = 1

So we have 3-4 copies so far, so let's see what we can get up to. Please let other members here know that we are doing this, so we can get enough "critical mass" ;-)

Thanks in Advance - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 am 

BUMP - just a friendly reminder ... if anyone wants to order a copy of Spawn of Fashan  :D

Thanks in Advance - Paul

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:13 pm 

BUMP - just a friendly reminder ... if anyone wants to order a copy of Spawn of Fashan  :D

Thanks in Advance - Paul

[email protected]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:57 am 

If there is another opportunity to get one of these, I'm interested.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:57 pm 

No idea if he still has copies for sale, but I ordered one from Mr. Davis back in 2013 using the email given in this thread: rpggeek.com/thread/690066/how-to-play-s ... -of-fashan

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:32 pm 

Is it any good?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:44 pm 

It's a well-done printing, glad I have it in my collection. Has an interesting 'author's update' section written in 1998.

Never spent much time trying to figure out the system, so can't comment on it in terms of play value. There was a review in an early Dragon magazine (issue 60) ...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:51 pm 

Seriously Ian? You're not familiar with Spawn of Fashan? It is hideously bad. It is the epitome of cliched amateurish homebrew. Because of its inclusion in Heroic Worlds (where it was savaged) it gained some notoriety. It is so bad people wondered if it was some sort of con job pretending to be bad. We now know that it was simply the work of a young gamer doing his best. The now adult author has done a couple of reprints, for the collectors who would be hard pressed to find an original. But no one other than the author would actually play this.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:25 pm 

Here's the author-reprint version from about 2012, nicely produced with a coil binding and a signed/numbered Limited Edition decal on the cover.

Attachment:
IMG_3012.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:13 am 

stratochamp wrote in Spawn of Fashan - Author POD:Seriously Ian? You're not familiar with Spawn of Fashan? It is hideously bad. It is the epitome of cliched amateurish homebrew. Because of its inclusion in Heroic Worlds (where it was savaged) it gained some notoriety. It is so bad people wondered if it was some sort of con job pretending to be bad. We now know that it was simply the work of a young gamer doing his best. The now adult author has done a couple of reprints, for the collectors who would be hard pressed to find an original. But no one other than the author would actually play this.

:D  :lol:  :lol:
So one for the completists only, then.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:30 am 

For those that want to know:

Original print run "The original run was 50 copies, but if memory serves, we sold only 17 and gave away 2. I then gave away copies to all my friends who funded the original run. I later gave away a few copies here and there."

numbersed print run with the blue sticker = 85

30 print run.. "A few years after the reprints started, I received an unusually large order from the New England area... the number 30 keeps popping into my mind. I had lost my original printer, so I had to find a new one who would work with me, we talked pricing and I gave the buyer a fairly low-cost deal. I also prepared a new sticker for him and gave the reprint a special name, just to give them some distinction. Then the printer did what I thought was a poor job, with some of the pages slightly smudged. He didn't want to redo them; he thought he'd given me too tight a margin, I guess. The prints were certainly readable, and to be fair, some of the original copies had slight imperfections as well, so I shipped the books and returned the excess money to the buyer, charging him only for the printing. Never heard from him again."

Black cover print run.. numbered.. might be 20 of these . pic on rpggeek RPGGeek

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:05 am 

I have Greg Stafford's copy of the original printing. Mr. Davis went up to Greg at the convention they were at and gave that copy to him. I have #3 of 20 of the latter print (we he reversed the colors to distinguish it).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 am 

To be fair to the guy, if you hold the spot of worst ever Fantasy RPG system, and are generally famous for it, you have to have either made a special effort to achieve that, or be particularly talented at it. And you manage to get, not one, but two copies into Bill's collection. So hats off to the guy. :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:52 pm 

You have to remember Ian, I want one of everything FRP that was published in English through the end of 2003. That includes the best things made and the worst things made. I'm not collecting these items to play, I am preserving them for posterity and will let history judge. I have a museum. The singles never get touched. The doubles get played with.

Now I picked up the second one because it was only fair that I purchased something from him after hearing the story first hand about Greg Stafford's copy of Spawn of Fashan.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:26 am 

The Spawn of Fashan ... 40th Anniversary Edition

As a fellow OU alumni, the author sent me a link showing this newly published work of his available on Amazon. He said it is a POD and not a limited print run, so no rush, but thought some of you here would like to know.

The Spawn of Fashan: 40th Anniversary Edition: Davis, Kirby Lee: 9798472413855: Amazon.com: Books

[email protected]