The Infinity System?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:45 pm 

Hello, New guy here, Nice to meet you.

This site has helped me so much with my collecting, thank you for that. I seem to have hit a road block: The Infinity System from 1979. some places claim it to be the first universal system which doesn't sound right. I can't find much on it at all. Does Anyone have a clue? All I've found was there were apparently 2 different covers for the game. Thank you for any help.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 pm 

"Universal system" probably means different things to different people. The text says things like "The Infinity System allows role-playing scenarios from ancient to fantasy, to futuristic," or that "the Infinity system has generic character types instead of the specific types of many other games." I suppose in 1979 (the year before BRP) that would be unusual language, if not unique.

I'm not aware that there are two different covers so much as that you can find it with or without a separate cardstock cover sheet featuring an illustration of characters - which is conveniently dated 1980. The back of that cover sheet is errata, so considered alongside that date, it may well be a later addition. Or perhaps the 1979 copyright date asserted in the booklet is misleading; that happens, sometimes.

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:39 pm 

One of the editors of the Wikipedia page for the game, Dcharbonnet, says he is one of the authors. Since he has been active as recently as a year ago, you could post a message on his Talk page and see if you can get in contact with him.

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Infi ... on=history

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:42 pm 

maybe from NK thinking 2 covers?

Infinity - Fantasy RPG - Noble Knight Games

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:54 pm 

Yeah, the NK image on the right (the yellow one) is the separate cardstock sheet. It's not attached to the booklet, which has the cover on the left.

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:05 pm 

Thanks for letting me know about the cardstock sheet. I just have the red booklet. RPGGeek had the cardstock piece labeled as a cover.