Miser's hoard fanzine website
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:11 am 

Hi everyone,

has anyone stumbled upon this website other than me?

There is no hint about whom may have created it, no contact whatsoever.

https://misershoard.com/index.html

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:02 pm 

The Miser's Hoard website is registered in Cornwall, in the UK. It looks like it was set up by the fanzine's original editor, John McKeown.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:35 pm 

set up by his brother by the looks

Miser's Hoard - About

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:37 pm 

Very cool! I had not seen that yet.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:08 pm 

Miser's hoard #4 is of course one of the many traveller related photocopied zines and digest sized items that are being sold by an ebay reseller as new. Seemingly ebay does not care as they have been informed of his activities.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:03 am 

Thanks VK! Great job in finding this little gem!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:57 am 

stratochamp wrote in Miser's hoard fanzine website:Miser's hoard #4 is of course one of the many traveller related photocopied zines and digest sized items that are being sold by an ebay reseller as new. Seemingly ebay does not care as they have been informed of his activities.

There's a lot of that on eBay.
If there is no interested party seeking to cease the illegal activity, and therefor no possibility of prosecution, and if eBay can make legitimate income from it, why stop?
The business has a choice to act in the best interests of the shareholders, or cease revenue these generating activities. No individual can ever be prosecuted, and the minute a credible IP holder complains they cease such activity. I'd suggest eBay are doing exactly that they are required to do, which is maximise profits for the shareholders, whilst provably obeying the law.

It is for the discerning buyer to buy legitimate product, over reproductions, and there is a mechanism in the UK for getting money back when unwittingly buying an item that is fake, which I'd assume works similarly in other countries. It requires no evidence on the part of the buyer, just an allegation, but it does not penalise the seller (as there is no provable evidence of wrongdoing), although there is again a mechanism to leave negative feedback for the seller stating one's concerns.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:51 am 

rmeints wrote in Miser's hoard fanzine website:The Miser's Hoard website is registered in Cornwall, in the UK. It looks like it was set up by the fanzine's original editor, John McKeown.

Now we have a name, someone should try to track the guy on FB or the like.

Or perhaps he eventually is going to scan the zines on that website? Doesn't seem impossible since he states at the end "Those surviving copies enabled my project to keep an archive."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:01 am 

I have originals of Miser's Hoard #1, #4, and #5. I'd love to get at least #6 and #7, if not the remainder of the set.
This is one of those times I wish we had a PDF archive for things like this. I'd happily contribute to it.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:14 am 

Just saw this. My brother and I edited Miser's Hoard. Months ago I scanned all issues, first for OCR, and then facsimile
using ScanTailor and GIMP to painstakingly improve quality (early issues used old typewriter). I created a PDF each issue.
But while almost all of issues 1&2 was our material, later issues had lots of contributions. I read advice about original informal
publishing rights not covering digital. By contrast paper "reprint to meet demand" would be within rights; though one contact
suggested even that was a grey area after 38-year gap. I identified the contributors and those I was able to reach by email
gave permission. But each issue (especially numbers 3-8) had gaps, at least 1 item uncleared. I had already sent to printer for
50 of issue 1 and 2, but due to worries my half of that reprint are still in the box that Mixam sent me.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:43 am 

I'd certainly be interested in a copy. :)

Carpe DM!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:29 am 

+1 on that  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:59 pm 

+1 here too.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:16 pm 

jpmckeown wrote in Miser's hoard fanzine website:Just saw this. My brother and I edited Miser's Hoard. Months ago I scanned all issues, first for OCR, and then facsimile
using ScanTailor and GIMP to painstakingly improve quality (early issues used old typewriter). I created a PDF each issue.
But while almost all of issues 1&2 was our material, later issues had lots of contributions. I read advice about original informal
publishing rights not covering digital. By contrast paper "reprint to meet demand" would be within rights; though one contact
suggested even that was a grey area after 38-year gap. I identified the contributors and those I was able to reach by email
gave permission. But each issue (especially numbers 3-8) had gaps, at least 1 item uncleared. I had already sent to printer for
50 of issue 1 and 2, but due to worries my half of that reprint are still in the box that Mixam sent me.

My reading of UK Copyright Law as it is applied to magazines is that the structure of the magazine itself (its formatting) lapses after 25 years (from date of publication), so these fanzines in their original format (not tinkered with) are public property so far as their original format is concerned, and there has been no recorded case of a public domain magazine being published in PDF format that has then been successfully prosecuted in the UK as far as I can see.

Whilst the editor/publisher owned copyright to the magazine up to the date at which copyright expired (ie the 25 year mark), and may also have owned the right to reprint/republish, that contract/agreement between the publisher and the author and/or artist expired with the editor/publishers copyright over his magazine. The Intellectual Property of the individual articles and artistic submissions remain with the authors of those pieces.

The real question is whether or not any of those authors/artists care. Would they ever find out? If they did find out would they ever do anything about it? And what are the odds of a minor project to preserve a piece of gaming history for posterity ever being taken beyond anything other than a Cease and Desist letter? And of course whether or not you want to embark into such an adventure after all this time just to placate your own sense of nostalgia, a group of avid collectors, and placing a digital marker in the world to say, 'I once did this.'

If you want to republish to make money, I'd say no, don't do it. There is far less money than you think in republishing such things. Ask anyone who knows and who's done it.
But if this is a magnanimous gesture to give back or to preserve for posterity, then I'd say leak the PDFs and let them circulate. They will be there online forever.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:25 pm 

I’d definitely buy copies, and be happy to support the original creators with my $ :)

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:31 am 

Pls let us know when you have them on sale and where we can buy them!
Thanks a lot and ciaooo

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:14 am 

If this is the queue to buy copies, please count me in :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:42 am 

I'm sure if one were minded to, one could print a hundred copies and sell them in a couple of months. There are those here would pick up multiple copies, and those who would gladly carry stock and sell them at various conventions. That's a one shot print run with little chance of any issue over IP. Digital delivery of the PDF to a printer is not the same as digitally publishing a product. It's just the manner in which printers interface with their clients these days.

A premiums could be added if it were a guaranteed single print run, and you numbered the copies, with higher premiums on single digit numbered copies, and maybe number 100.
There are lots of ways to play the game and minimize potential conflicts with past authors. It all depends on the risk vs. reward one is seeking.

Out of curiosity, as there any notable authors/artists from the pages who may have made a name for themselves, however minor? Or are they all just school/college kids who have disappeared into everyday life and left the RPG world behind?

Next