Original Traveller Street Date
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:45 pm 

Hello everyone,

I’ve been researching Traveller. I know the original LBBs came out in 1977, but I can’t find information on WHEN in 1977. Any finer detail would be greatly appreciated. Anything…

Thanks

Been there, Done that.

No, I mean in the REAL world.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:55 pm 

This article seems to cover it:  Advanced Designers & Dragons #65: The GDW Production Records, Part Two: A Traveller Overview - RPGnet .  It states the books were "completed" (printed?) in May 1977, and available at Origins III, which was July 22-24, 1977.  Based on this, they probably weren't available for sale from retail outlets until August 1977.

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:13 pm 

In A&E #26, Sep 1977, there are two mentions of it:

Scott Rosenberg writes:
"TRAVELLER, GDW's science-fiction role-playing game, is the best non-D&D-related role-play-ing game yet, I think. I've played in only half an expedition so far, but it strikes me as a great game that is sufficiently complex yet does not bog down. Needless to say, the graphics are well done, up to GDW's high standards."

Mark Swanson has a longer review:
"At ORIGINS III the most interesting new product was the GDW game TRAVELLER, a science fiction based role playing, game. I suspect that most of the A&E subscribers already have a copy, so I won't bother to review it beyond a suggestion that you buy it if you haven't already done so. It is already as popular as D&D in the MIT group.

It seems to have the same teething, problems D&D had when you start a campaign. It is very easy to run a give-away campaign, especially when there are eight players looking for holes and only you to fill them in! Already a couple of people have managed to produce billionaires by normal trading!

The economics, of the game are rather generous. If nothing "abnormal" happens a character will get rich rapidly: in fact a small free trader will, normally do better than a subsidized merchant! The solution, of course, 'is for the worlds to be less normal- Pirates, tax collectors, OSHA inspectors (some bribable), trade cartels, would be galaxy conquerors who need ships and lawyers should all infest the universe. Not to mention cheats. Buying things blackmarket may make a lot of money, provided you get what you paid for. How many ships will have an expert on drug types aboard? Maybe anti-agathics can be produced for 10% of normal price provided you don't mind including a violent carcinogen?

In short, the TRAVELLER tables, define the situation under ideal circumstances. It is up to the gamesmaster to complicate the situation. I haye not started a campaign because of my Gorree D&D campaign, but would be interested in hearing how people have set up their games. There has already been some discussion of this in my WILD HUNT apa"

and also reports:

"After GDW brought out TRAVELLER TSR promptly yanked all GDW products out of their retail store and told GDW not to bother coming to GENCON. Wonder if TSR ever heard of "Restraint of Trade" lawsuits?"

As an aside, Origins III in 1977 is also where the Holmes Basic set debuted.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:19 pm 

And in Dragon #20, Marc Miller himself writes that "Traveller was released at Origins 77"

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:50 pm 

Foul, Zen, thank you SO much for your replies! That is exactly what I was looking for. I am a veteran Lurker here and appreciate all that you do!

Thanks Again!

Been there, Done that.

No, I mean in the REAL world.