Twilight 2000
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:04 pm 

Anyone know of the general collectability of Twilight 2000 and any sites with bibliographies, etc.?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:39 pm 

I don't know nearly as much about Twilight: 2000 vs. Traveller, but I can tell you that Marc Miller has released collector's reprints of the core Twilight: 2000 rules on http://www.farfuture.net .  Those rules utilize the GDW house system, rather than the harder to find first printings, which had a different rules set altogether.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to help with a bibliography for Twilight: 2000 as it was not high on my list of games that I wanted.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:20 pm 

I have this one:

and this one:

but not this one:

Any one know if the first one is rare or not??

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:38 pm 

I don't know about the rarity of the Twilight stuff, but I can say I've seen ended auctions with what I'd think were silly prices. It seems that there's a scene for collecting the stuff in the UK. I was fortunate not to long ago and scored big at a used local bookstore, and picked up 20 or so of the 1st edition supplements for a buck each. As a youth I bought the original Twilight Box (still have it), but never got that much into it other than a few sessions. I just love the feel though of the early-eighties post-nuke vision of the world. Very, "Red Dawn mixed in with The Day After".

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:28 pm 

Being an 80's kid myself, I too miss the coldwar doom & gloom that was in the back of everyone's minds. I purchased 2000 when it first came out ini 87 I think,... I loved reading the modules, but never actually played the game.  :(
As far as it's collectable status, you can usually pick up the modules for under $10 on ebay, a complete first edition would probably cost you, but nothing too crazy.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:41 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I don't know about the rarity of the Twilight stuff, but I can say I've seen ended auctions with what I'd think were silly prices. It seems that there's a scene for collecting the stuff in the UK. I was fortunate not to long ago and scored big at a used local bookstore, and picked up 20 or so of the 1st edition supplements for a buck each. As a youth I bought the original Twilight Box (still have it), but never got that much into it other than a few sessions. I just love the feel though of the early-eighties post-nuke vision of the world. Very, "Red Dawn mixed in with The Day After".

Was that sale the Dragon's Lair sale??  I bought many $1 and $2 OoP goodies there in Dec  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:44 pm 

Ekim Toor,

What part of Florida are you in?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:49 pm 

MrfilthyIke,

No, a used bookstore in Ft. Lauderdale. I also scored a bunch of OOP Gurps and Forgotten Realms stuff as well. Dropped about a hunderd bucks, but walked with just about as many books 8O. It rarely happens lately, but when it does :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:01 pm 

What store??  Any other hints??

I'm leaving South Florida soon to go to Orlando, so maybe I'll have to come back down for a special visit.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:03 pm 

Well I have some of the first print stuff, which seems to go for a good price.  I'm in a quandary though because it looks like I have TWO versions of the first edition, one with errata and the other "fixed".

Visually they're very similar -- one box has an ISBN number on it, the other doesn't, etc.  In addition, other smaller changes exist, such as the presence of the errata in one, and some sheets printed front and back instead of two separate one-sided sheets.

I'm not a big collector of T:2000 but if one of these is rarer/worth more and I sell it, I'd like to be able to get an idea of its worth.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:17 am 

You should get between $15 - 25 for a complete first edition set. I don't think I have ever noticed a different in price for variations.

Twilight is a great RPG seller and the demand in consistently high. Most modules will get around $5 - 10 and most accessories $10 - 20. The standout accessory seems to be the Nautical/Aviation Handbook (2nd ed. Twilight accessory) which I have sold for over $30 on three occasions.

I have also twice sold a Twilight 2000 2nd ed. Referee's Screen for around $12 and I usually see them go for at least $10. I think that is interesting to note as screens are often very commonplace and hard to sell for many RPG items. (For instance, I have a shrinkwrapped Wraith the Oblivion screen and a shrinked 7th sea screen which I can't even seem to get even $5 for - yet many of the books for these games sell no problem.)

With Twilight, screens are always an "easy" sell, which would seem to indicate that there are still a sizable amount of people playing the game as opposed to just collecting the books to read/collect.

Just a thought. . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:23 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:With Twilight, screens are always an "easy" sell, which would seem to indicate that there are still a sizable amount of people playing the game as opposed to just collecting the books to read/collect. .

Could be that a SIZEABLE number of people in the (for this examples sake) US Armed Forces play RPGs (along with boardgames, cards, etc).

What other setting fits perfectly with what a serviceman knows best? :)

Just always been my theory on why TW2000 still sells well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:16 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:You should get between $15 - 25 for a complete first edition set. I don't think I have ever noticed a different in price for variations.

Twilight is a great RPG seller and the demand in consistently high. Most modules will get around $5 - 10 and most accessories $10 - 20. The standout accessory seems to be the Nautical/Aviation Handbook (2nd ed. Twilight accessory) which I have sold for over $30 on three occasions.

I have also twice sold a Twilight 2000 2nd ed. Referee's Screen for around $12 and I usually see them go for at least $10. I think that is interesting to note as screens are often very commonplace and hard to sell for many RPG items. (For instance, I have a shrinkwrapped Wraith the Oblivion screen and a shrinked 7th sea screen which I can't even seem to get even $5 for - yet many of the books for these games sell no problem.)

With Twilight, screens are always an "easy" sell, which would seem to indicate that there are still a sizable amount of people playing the game as opposed to just collecting the books to read/collect.

Just a thought. . .

The later supplements seem to sell the best, maybe they have the lower print runs. Also when you buy the modules look for the maps which should still be attached in the middle, a lot of these are missing on used copies.  I have a small lot of these for sale right now:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

Here is a link to the 2.0 rulebook, if you are interested I have another dozen or so adventures listed, just do a search through my ebay store.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:43 pm 

Jesus, Mike. You're into everything.

If you're ever in CT, I'll buy the first round.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:36 am 

jkason wrote:Jesus, Mike. You're into everything.

If you're ever in CT, I'll buy the first round.

Hey, you should have seen me before I finally decided I didn't HAVE to have one of EVERYTHING listed in Heroic Worlds...I was even collecting crap like all the Endless Quest books, Buck Rogers in the XXV century by TSR (sob), and then, yes, Bunnies and Burrows (I still have this somewhere I believe...)  I came to my senses in time.  Or did my wife suggest I was going to start having to sleep on a pillow of B2s if I didn't sell most of it....it's all so hazy now.

Mike B.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:38 pm 

A bit late but I just found the site due to a google search.  Most of the info above is correct, but the most rare of the books is the East European Sourcebook, followed by the United Kingdom Survival guide.  Rulebook version 2.2 is also expensive to obtain.  There are two boxed version tie-ins to the game which also command above $30.  The Last Battle, and Twilight Encounters.  The former was/is a stand alone game for vehicle combat during WWIII, but also an alternative combat resolution system for larger scale conflict.  The latter was a stopgap group of rule changes to bridge, if I remember,  the Version 1.0 and 2.0 systems, and gave 10 encounter cards that were also enclosed in the deluxe boxed version of the 2.0 game set.  Of the modules, Armies of the Night is pretty expensive, as is Howling Wilderness.  RDF sourcebook usually tops $20.  There is also an independant publishing of City of Angels by 3E for Twilight 2000.  You see it every soo often, but I'd only pay what it goes for on eBay if you are a completist.  For a complete list of modules (as well as rediculous pricing) check out Wayne's Books in Amazon.com.  He's also found, I think at Krakow Books.  Hope this helps.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:34 pm 

2.2 rules are, as I understand it, rare in comparison to 2.0.  They went out of business shortly after the 2.2 rules were printed.  Not sure on the rarity of the other books though.

~jeff

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:40 am 

Here's the first of several pages that go into some detail on Twilight: 2000...
Twilight: 2000 core books - Wayne's Books RPG Reference

Supposedly, a *new* D20 T:2000 is in the making.