Buffalo Castle
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:29 pm 

I have a 1st print Buffalo Castle that I saved from the old days. Ken St. Andre said it probably wasn't worth that much, not like a 1st print T&T. What does everyone think about that? I'd be interested to know.
                                                    Tom

Started playing D&D at Great Lakes in '76-'77. Went to Dungeon in Lake Geneva. Got to adventure in original Blackmoor. Saved some rare pieces from then, not in best shape: Palace of Vampire Queen, Beastmaker Mountain. Started collecting recently.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:01 pm 

Buffalo Castle...I think I got a burger there in South Dakota a few years ago.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:36 pm 

I can hear the boo's from over here. Give him the HOOK!
                                             Tom

Started playing D&D at Great Lakes in '76-'77. Went to Dungeon in Lake Geneva. Got to adventure in original Blackmoor. Saved some rare pieces from then, not in best shape: Palace of Vampire Queen, Beastmaker Mountain. Started collecting recently.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:40 pm 

:lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:54 pm 

:) You guys crack me up… We've got some old T&T stuff, the copied kind with the spiral bindings. The real treat is a minty 2nd print of T&T…the one only sold at Origins 2.

As far as value on the T&T stuff it varies, of yet I just don't think it's well organized enough as far as collecting goes. It is a first print though...so that always attracts attention on just about any older RPG…

Best of luck if you decide to part with it, but I'd hang on to it. T&T was always fun, and as RPG collecting grows there will be more attention to the D&D spin-offs.  JMO :)

Mike

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:28 am 

I don't plan on selling my Buffalo Castle because of the sentimental value. I was just curious as to what others thought of it. It is not spiral bound, but seperate pages held together with 2 staples. It has a light blue cover. On the top of page one it says:

Buffalo Castle
By Rick Loomis, from an idea by Steve McAllister
                              Copyright 1976 by Flying Buffalo Inc.

Here is a clickable scan of the cover:

What do you think?
                                                Tom

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:46 am 

tntwargo wrote:I don't plan on selling my Buffalo Castle because of the sentimental value. I was just curious as to what others thought of it. It is not spiral bound, but seperate pages held together with 2 staples. It has a light blue cover. On the top of page one it says:

Buffalo Castle
By Rick Loomis, from an idea by Steve McAllister
               Copyright 1976 by Flying Buffalo Inc.

Here is a clickable scan of the cover:

[ Image ]

What do you think?
                        Tom

The staples indicate it's one of the first three printings of the 1st edition; pretty cool!  It's one of the very first RPG items by any company ever released, so if nothing else I'd hold onto it for the sentimental value you talk about as T&T stuff is seriously undervalued right now.  You'd never get what is is actually worth, but it's a nice piece of gaming history to own.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:51 pm 

Oh yes…that sure doe's look sweet (Loving that castle drawing). Hang on to it sentimental or not...Mike's right anything pre 77 in most cases seems to be on the rarer side, and will only increase in value.

enjoy!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:19 pm 

Hmmm, I'll have to go compare that my copies of BC and Dungeon of the Bear (exact title?), which weren't bound at all IIRC, and were in ziplocks I think....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:38 pm 

grodog wrote:Dungeon of the Bear (exact title?)

Yes, that's it — named for its creator, Jim "Bear" Peters. It sounds as if you have one of the first three levels, which were released individually in the '70s. I don't remember the zip-locs, but that's probably more of a case of faulty memory than anything else ...

The three levels were eventually re-packaged into a revised edition in the early '80s. This version is more professional, much less rare, and is often called the "Complete Dungeon of the Bear."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:44 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I just don't think it's well organized enough as far as collecting goes.

This is exactly right. T&T has some rare and unique collectibles and still has some rabid fans, but there's been no serious attempt (AFAIK) to pull all of the data together in an effort to make some sense of it all. There's certainly nothing even remotely as organized as The Acaeum.

One interesting note, though: a serious collector could probably secure a copy of every professionally-printed T&T product ever made (starting from scratch, my guess is it would take between 1 and 2 years). There's just not that much material, especially as compared to D&D/AD&D.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:43 pm 

This website is very useful and I am certainly glad I joined the Forums.
 Mike, is there any way to tell which of the 1st three printings that Buffalo Castle is? There doesn't seem to be any print number info.
 I know this website is about collecting, but would it be out of line to start a thread about interesting gaming sessions that people could relate?
 I sure wish there was a site like this for wargames.
                          -Tom

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:12 am 

tntwargo wrote:This website is very useful and I am certainly glad I joined the Forums.
Mike, is there any way to tell which of the 1st three printings that Buffalo Castle is? There doesn't seem to be any print number info.
I know this website is about collecting, but would it be out of line to start a thread about interesting gaming sessions that people could relate?
I sure wish there was a site like this for wargames.
             -Tom

Tom;

The information I have on T&T I take from Lawrence Schick's must-have reference book, Heroic Worlds.  It states that the 1st three printings (1976) were stapled, while printings 4th-11th (1977) were in black spiral binding, no differentiation noted between printings.  So it looks like you'd have to probably talk to one of the T&T publishers from way back when to see if they remembered what told the printings apart.  I once had a first printing of T&T's Naked Doom (1977) that I sold a long time ago, I really loved it because it looked like it was put together in someone's basement! (and it probably was!)
    General Collecting is usually a pretty good place for general musings about gaming type nostalgia  :D

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:41 am 

Badmike wrote:So it looks like you'd have to probably talk to one of the T&T publishers from way back when to see if they remembered what told the printings apart.

Rick Loomis is still around and kicking (along with Flying Buffalo), so I'm sure he'd be happy to help out if you wrote to him:  http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/tandt.htm

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:49 pm 

I actually started playing TnT just prior to learning about D&D through some friends.
From time to time, I ebay stuff out of sentimentality. It is a great trip down memory lane. At some point I wll get serious and put a collection together of the real old stuff. Comparitively, it is cheap.
I'd keep that BC. Your just not gonna see much return in selling it. It is worth more in your collection than a few bucks in your checking account. Just my two cents...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/