First Encounter - Canadian RPG mag Questions
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:28 am 

I hope to eventually get my pages about rpg mags up and running some time in the near future.. but a quick question to people that may know.

Print run for this mag 8 Issues?

And does anyone have a copy of issue 2 they want to get rid of;)

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:03 am 

My highest issue is number 8 as well.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 pm 

I was involved with the First Encounter as it was originally intended to advertise  the Dragons Lair game store  in the lower mainland B.C. Canada.

Originally 5 k copies were printed and givin away for free to game and hobby stores around the lower mainland.

A few copies every issue were sent to stores across Canada and sporadically across the U.S. in an attempt to increase circulation.

Printing costs reduced the copies to 1500 for # 2 and further reduced to 1000 from #3 on.

Some people felt the content of the #8 issue was inappropriate for kids and decided not to handle it.

The annual was never produced.

Hope that info helps.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:15 pm 

See Brett, ask a question, get an answer!

Shrink is not a condition

Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:23 am 

I was involved with the First Encounter as it was originally intended to advertise  the Dragons Lair game store  in the lower mainland B.C. Canada.

Originally 5 k copies were printed and givin away for free to game and hobby stores around the lower mainland.

A few copies every issue were sent to stores across Canada and sporadically across the U.S. in an attempt to increase circulation.

Printing costs reduced the copies to 1500 for # 2 and further reduced to 1000 from #3 on.

Some people felt the content of the #8 issue was inappropriate for kids and decided not to handle it.

The annual was never produced.

Hope that info helps.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 pm 

See Brett, ask a question, see it answered twice!

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:43 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

6 years;) I've waited longer to be honest

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:31 am 

I just noticed brette saying you wanted a #2 , might be  hard to get and the covers are hard to come by.
That just might be because I tore the covers off and put them in my bags for customers.

So I gotta take the credit for that, or blame I guess.

Take into account tho the mag was printed to advertise the dragons lair, which it did.

Really, it was marketing genius, a new store specializing in a new game people thought was from satan himself at the time,

and my neighbor was a christian book store, that was funny.

Anyway, next to every cashier at most hobby,game and toy stores around the lower mainland was a big ad for the dragons lair...................we killed ourselves laffin.

Over night the dragons lair was the go to place for d&d.

The mag also got an interview for the dragons lair with channel 12 for about 1/2 hr to 45 mins as well as 3 more interviews on community tv stations.
As well as a huge d&d presentation at the arts science technology centre, that took about 26 dms and the line up went for blocks.

The mag never made any money, everyone did everything for free and had lots of fun, everyone was a customer of the store.

Eric got the exposer he was after and it paid off big time for him. Eric deserved it, he's a good guy.

#8 put a damper on things, some people stopped handling the mag and Kellys wife wanted to go back to Ontario , d&d began being sold everywhere so the dragons lair wasnt too special anymore and the whole thing ended.

A  bit of a ramble there but that should explain the missing covers. I have no idea what other stores did with them, of the 5k printed I musta torn off maybe 4k of them.

I had every issue with every person that had anything to do with them signed, we pinned them on the wall, when it was all over I chucked them, I never even thought anyone would ever want them.

Sry for posting on 2 threads, think I posted in the wrong one the first time.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:20 pm 

My Issue #2 has survived intact so you didn't get them all.

On a side note, if anyone has a copy of #2 that is falling apart and could scan it, I am looking for a scan (approved by Kelly).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:15 pm 

beasterbrook wrote in First Encounter - Canadian RPG mag Questions:
6 years;) I've waited longer to be honest

Uh, check your math there...

Based on the print run info, it's strange that #1 isn't more common, but this would seem to explain the rarity of #2 and #8.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games