Encounter magazine/fanzine
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:26 pm 

Anybody know how many issues this ran?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:53 pm 

I haven't heard of Encounter magazine but if you are talking about First Encounter fanzine Canada's Coast to Coast something something maybe Fantast and RPG) Magazine then it ran 8 issues and an Annual that reprinted the first few issues.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:17 pm 

I just came across a nice little AD&D module from Canada. Catapult Run circa. 1984. Very nice module in the TSR style of the time (banner across the top. Wrap around cover with map and separate book). It makes for good reading. Has anyone else read this?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:11 pm 

I just sold a First Encounter Magazine(#5) to Alan this past weekend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I also have 4 others.  Brette is the fanzine master though. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:52 pm 

Mars is correct (and since he lives in Canada he should know) I have yet to see an Annual though. Issue 2 seems one of the hardest to get, the "falling apart issue) was glued along the spine not stapled like all the other issues and all the glue failed so as far as I know they all fell apart (I'm missing the last page on my issue 2)

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:44 am 

Ok, guess I should have been more specific.   :D

Encounter: The Journal of Innovative Gaming, by Eon Products, 1983.  Covered Eon Products games in general and in particular (surprise!) Cosmic Encounter.  Issue number one:

I know the first volume ran five or six issues and that there's a volume two number one, but anything beyond that? Anybody??

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:07 am 

I have to laugh — I typed out a reply earlier, then deleted it, thinking "there's no way he means the Cosmic Encounter magazine."

Encounter had two distinct runs: the first, published by Eon, ran for six issues and covered all of Eon's games (CE, Borderlands, Quirks, etc.). The second, published by Mayfair, ran for three issues and covered Cosmic Encounter exclusively.

There are some PDFs out there in web-land, but the scans are terrible. I've also seen Encounter issues pop up every so often on eBay, although I wouldn't say it happens with any regularity.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:22 pm 

Thanks for the info.  I guess six out of nine ain't too bad... let the hunt commence!   :)

BTW, do you know if all of the V2 #1s have the big funky sticker covering up the price on them, or am I just lucky?   :P

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:45 pm 

No stickers on mine ... sounds like a decision that was made by a previous owner.

Good luck on your hunt. I've sent out some feelers on the Cosmic sites I frequent — if anyone is hoarding some copies, I'll let you know.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:09 pm 

BTW, Dougal, I threw out some "looking to buy" feelers at the various Cosmic sites where I hang out ... and got nothing. Not even a nibble.

Well, who said it was supposed to be easy, right? :)

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:15 am 

I was involved with the First Encounter as it was originally intended to advertise  the Dragons Lair game store  in the lower mainland B.C. Canada.

Originally 5 k copies were printed and givin away for free to game and hobby stores around the lower mainland.

A few copies every issue were sent to stores across Canada and sporadically across the U.S. in an attempt to increase circulation.

Printing costs reduced the copies to 1500 for # 2 and further reduced to 1000 from #3 on.

Some people felt the content of the #8 issue was inappropriate for kids and decided not to handle it.

The annual was never produced.

Hope that info helps.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:22 am 

I just noticed brette saying #2 seems hardest to get and the covers are hard to come by.
That just might be because I tore the covers off and put them in my bags for customers.

So I gotta take the credit for that, or blame I guess.

Take into account tho the mag was printed to advertise the dragons lair, which it did.

Really, it was marketing genius, a new store specializing in a new game people thought was from satan himself at the time,

and my neighbor was a christian book store, that was funny.

Anyway, next to every cashier at most hobby,game and toy stores around the lower mainland was a big ad for the dragons lair...................we killed ourselves laffin.

Over night the dragons lair was the go to place for d&d.

The mag also got an interview for the dragons lair with channel 12 for about 1/2 hr to 45 mins as well as 3 more interviews on community tv stations.
As well as a huge d&d presentation at the arts science technology centre, that took about 26 dms and the line up went for blocks.

The mag never made any money, everyone did everything for free and had lots of fun, everyone was a customer of the store.

Eric got the exposer he was after and it paid off big time for him. Eric deserved it, he's a good guy.

#8 put a damper on things, some people stopped handling the mag and Kellys wife wanted to go back to Ontario , d&d began being sold everywhere so the dragons lair wasnt too special anymore and the whole thing ended.

A  bit of a ramble there but that should explain the missing covers. I have no idea what other stores did with them; but I definitely tore off the majority of them as I gave away most of them.

I had every issue with every person that had anything to do with them signed, we pinned them on the wall, when it was all over I chucked them, I never even thought anyone would ever want them.
For all of us, it was just over.