The Complete Dungeon Master series
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:52 am 

anyone who has info on "The Watchers Of The Sacred Flame" Set 3 of The Complete Dungeon Master series? afaik, it'd have been published by Beast Enterprises Ltd... is it rare/interesting/collectable???  8O

here's a link to a review: http://www.ssendam.org/RPGR/CDMSerie.htm

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:11 am 

aia wrote:anyone who has info on "The Watchers Of The Sacred Flame" Set 3 of The Complete Dungeon Master series? afaik, it'd have been published by Beast Enterprises Ltd... is it rare/interesting/collectable???  8O

here's a link to a review: http://www.ssendam.org/RPGR/CDMSerie.htm

Well, it's seems to me a very nice product series (I admit being sfot on British gaming products in general  :D  :wink: ). I got two boxed sets of the series and I quickly shelved them in my own collection - I albeit I play D&D no more.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:14 am 

The hardest one to get seems to be CDM2. The others are quite common with CDM4 Feathered Priests cropping up all the time Mint in shrink. I'll be putting CDM3 in shrink, CDM4 in shrink, and the signed CDM5 manuscript Deep Water - Shallow Graves on eBay shortly.

http://www.afterglow2.com/Product/Integrated.htm
http://www.afterglow2.com/

Note that while these were written by two of the authors who also published Beast Entz Tortued Souls, they were not published by Beast Entz at all. They were published by Integrated Games, a group of different individuals from other UK games companies including Endless Games who provided the card inserts, build up componets and floor plans, and it would appear as if T.M. Games (a major hobbyshop chain at the time) financed the operation. Too often people say Beast Entz published these. It's bullshit.

IMO CDM3 is fairly common with a decent uncut set fetching about $30 and a cut set fetching about $18.

CDM2 is a real bitch to get and usually fetches about $10 more. If anyone has a boxed copy of CDM2 mint in shrink and wants to sell it, get in touch.

The CDM5 manuscript isn't unique. We know the author packaged them and sold them at a con' in the US. But so far we haven't seen one on eBay, and we know of three copies. If anyone knows anything more, or has a copy, PM me in private.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:31 am 

Hey Aia,

I think it is a pretty good series, some of the boxes are better than others though.  CDM1 has a couple different prints as well although I haven't had a chance to see what exactly the content differences are.  

If you are looking for a CDM3 The Watchers of the Sacred Flame, I am selling one for $20.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:18 am 

Are the Tortured Souls!, Complete Dungeon Master Series boxed sets and the GameMaster Publications scenarios collectable in the US? They seem to be pretty uncommon and some very rare (except Feathered Priests), but never seem to achieve high prices. What's the general feeling on quality of the product? Or is it just that the  UK written stuff doesn't sit well with US players?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:32 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Are the Tortured Souls!, Complete Dungeon Master Series boxed sets and the GameMaster Publications scenarios collectable in the US? They seem to be pretty uncommon and some very rare (except Feathered Priests), but never seem to achieve high prices. What's the general feeling on quality of the product? Or is it just that the  UK written stuff doesn't sit well with US players?

I always had a soft spot as well for British gaming products so I usually collected them but unfortunatlely not all of them reached the U.S. shores.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:45 am 

I've just noticed over the past two years that the majority tend to be bought and sold by people in the UK. US buyers tend not to buy and so it keeps the prices really low for the Brits.

GM1, CDM2 and TS10 are the real rarities, with GM2, CDM1 and TS9 & 12 being uncommon. Yet prices for even the rares stays at under $20 at auction.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:10 am 

I collect them :)  I restrained from bidding on that last bunch of the CDM series even though I could use an uncut set of plans for CDM2 and an open Feathered Priests would be nice too.  But interesting that you were the only bidder at 10 pounds each - thats a pretty good deal.  

I was also going to comment that the manuscript for CDM5 sold quicker than I expected for the 100 pounds.

Personally,  I think these boxet sets are undervalued considering that they are the original printings of the Warhammer Doomstones series which have been printed a couple of times now.  Also for anyone curious, the CDM5 manuscript was not used at all in the production of the Hogshead Doomstones III book.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:43 pm 

I was surprised I managed to snag a complete CDM1 and CDM2 at £10 a pop. I had gone in at £36 for CDM2 expecting a fellow sniper.

I also snagged a TS10 over the weekend for £10. The last one of those I put on eBay sold for £50.

I am pleased with CDM5 going for £100, but the number of watchers and the speed with which it sold tells me that I may have got £120 if I'd been willing to let it sit for 6 months.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:46 am 

Some more info on CDM5:  LOST WARHAMMER: THE FIFTH DOOMSTONE | AWESOME LIES

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:53 am 

Does anyone have a copy? We might ask the author a permission for the online publication of the contents....

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:44 pm 

Btw, CDM1, CDM2 and CDM3 popped up on Ebay recently. US seller w BIN of $250 each. :(

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:39 am 

I have a copy.. I think mark has a copy..

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:59 am 

Old Man wrote in The Complete Dungeon Master series:Btw, CDM1, CDM2 and CDM3 popped up on Ebay recently. US seller w BIN of $250 each. :(

Yay me. Got a copy of CDM1 - admittedly "punched" (maps cut up) and I had to have it send to my mum in England and she'll reship it - but found it nonetheless.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
Old Man

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:31 am 

Does anyone know why CDM2 is so hard to find? A see the CDM1, 3 and 4 coming up on EBAY in various conditions and prices but CDM2 seems to be conspicuous by its absence. Was there a limited print run or some other reason it is rare in comparison.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:10 am 

Orlandojones wrote in The Complete Dungeon Master series:Does anyone know why CDM2 is so hard to find? A see the CDM1, 3 and 4 coming up on EBAY in various conditions and prices but CDM2 seems to be conspicuous by its absence. Was there a limited print run or some other reason it is rare in comparison.

With CDM2 the first print run was published as a bound book (no box) with all the inserts and floor plans folded up and stapled into the middle. So it then got pulled apart, cut up, and played with, but nothing except game store bag to keep it all together in and protect it. Having seen the error of their ways, feedback from players, retailers, whatever, they then published it as a boxed set, like the other three. But having already managed to shift product to the players, I'd imagine the print run/box manufacture was a much smaller run. I don't imagine they were expecting all the people who bought the saddle stitched book to go out and buy a box set, nor would they have been up for shipping free boxes to all the people who wanted one for their saddle stitched book. So only people late to the party, or those who discovered CDM later, bought boxed versions. That's why the boxed version is stupidly rare, and why a good 50-60% of those that do turn up are saddle stitched with no box, and of course a saddle stitched playset that gets pulled apart and cut up into floorplans and handouts, isn't likely to survive the past 25 years like the remaining boxed sets will do. Of course there was also a second printing of CDM1 (boxed), but I figure there were likely as many Kasar-Khan's printed as there were Dwarven Kings. The rarity on eBay is likely down to the lack of boxes for about 50% of the Kasar-Khan's sold, and those that do turn up in boxes attracting the attention of not only those who need a copy of CDM2, but also those who already have CDM2 and don't like the box-book-box-box thing on their shelves.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:57 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in The Complete Dungeon Master series:With CDM2 the first print run was published as a bound book (no box) with all the inserts and floor plans folded up and stapled into the middle. So it then got pulled apart, cut up, and played with, but nothing except game store bag to keep it all together in and protect it. Having seen the error of their ways, feedback from players, retailers, whatever, they then published it as a boxed set, like the other three. But having already managed to shift product to the players, I'd imagine the print run/box manufacture was a much smaller run. I don't imagine they were expecting all the people who bought the saddle stitched book to go out and buy a box set, nor would they have been up for shipping free boxes to all the people who wanted one for their saddle stitched book. So only people late to the party, or those who discovered CDM later, bought boxed versions. That's why the boxed version is stupidly rare, and why a good 50-60% of those that do turn up are saddle stitched with no box, and of course a saddle stitched playset that gets pulled apart and cut up into floorplans and handouts, isn't likely to survive the past 25 years like the remaining boxed sets will do. Of course there was also a second printing of CDM1 (boxed), but I figure there were likely as many Kasar-Khan's printed as there were Dwarven Kings. The rarity on eBay is likely down to the lack of boxes for about 50% of the Kasar-Khan's sold, and those that do turn up in boxes attracting the attention of not only those who need a copy of CDM2, but also those who already have CDM2 and don't like the box-book-box-box thing on their shelves.

Thanks for the wisdom and good to know. I have the two versions of CDM1 but suspect the CDM2 will take longer to track down. Wish I had bought it all those years ago!

Cheers

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 am 

Orlandojones wrote in The Complete Dungeon Master series:
Thanks for the wisdom and good to know. I have the two versions of CDM1 but suspect the CDM2 will take longer to track down. Wish I had bought it all those years ago!

Cheers

:D  There may be three editions of CDM1. I seem to recall it being suggested/explored in another thread.

Next