City of Darkness / RIPGA
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:12 am 

Recently I have received a strange item called 'City of darkness' as a bonus item within a deal of AD&D items from an American collector. He couldn't tell me anything about it. Does anyone have information about this item?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:19 am 

If I recall correctly, "RIGPA" (not RIPGA?) was the made-up "Rhode Island Game Players' Association".  Basically, a marketing tactic of a highly annoying seller / scammer on eBay from several years ago.

According to the extensive feedback on his 30+ accounts, RIGPA modules were homemade drivel, often cleverly (?) named very close to collectible TSR modules.  The auctions would go up every few days, and inevitably someone would fall for it and pay $20+ for a "super rare" module.

He crossed the line when he download the Acaeum cover images of Lost Tamoachan and Ghost Tower and printed them out, stapling them to whatever crap he had on hand at the time.  A newbay spent $1100 on them, and I believe pursued civil/criminal charges when the guy wouldn't refund his money (of course).

The auctions were characterized by ALL CAPS and frequent grammatical errors.

Foul