Comic collection
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:09 pm 

Now this is off topic, but just in case anyone wants to start collecting comics, this is a nice beginning. 68 tons of comics! Check out the pictures at the bottom of the auction page...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 72453&rd=1

8O

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:31 pm 

I think this thing is a sucker bet.  This is clearly this guys overstock.  In other words, this is the stuff that isn't moving.  And judging by the pictures shown that's the case.  The only person who should be buying this is someone who's looking to set up an internet back issue business (like http:/www.milehighcomics.com) and is willing to sit on it for a long long looooooong time.  Plus, I'm willing to bet this stuff isn't in any kind of order.  And with CGC essentially killing the back issue market, this is REALLY going to sit.
As for the stuff going for "$5.00 - $10.00", well there's a lot a comics or trade paperbacks with that as a cover price, so that doesn't really impress me.
To put it in game terms, the collection is probably filled with B1s, B2s and X1s with a smattering of S3s, S4s and T1s.  Maybe even a few I1s, some "D"s and "G"s.  Then you throw a few late 2nd edition box sets in there so you can say, "$5 - $10."  There certainly wouldn't be any late number "I"s or "X"s or anything from the "H"s.
The only thing that would be worth anything in there is the Action Comics #1.  With Overstreet (THE comic book pricing guide) estimating that there is only 100 of these left out there, it's worth money even in such bad condition.  That case it's in is what CGC does, btw.  Grade it and slab it, never to be touched again (Can you imagine if they started doing that for modules?).  Even at 4.0 (with 10.0 being the best), it's still worth getting in my opinion.  Not for $330,000 though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:13 am 

RichCsigs wrote:I think this thing is a sucker bet.  This is clearly this guys overstock.  In other words, this is the stuff that isn't moving.  And judging by the pictures shown that's the case.  The only person who should be buying this is someone who's looking to set up an internet back issue business (like http:/www.milehighcomics.com) and is willing to sit on it for a long long looooooong time.  Plus, I'm willing to bet this stuff isn't in any kind of order.  And with CGC essentially killing the back issue market, this is REALLY goning to sit.
As for the stuff going for "$5.00 - $10.00", well there's a lot a comics or trade paperbacks with that as a cover price, so that doesn't really impress me.
To put it in game terms, the collection is probably filled with B1s, B2s and X1s with a smattering of S3s, S4s and T1s.  Maybe even a few I1s, some "D"s and "G"s.  Then you throw a few late 2nd edition box sets in there so you can say, "$5 - $10."  There certainly wouldn't be any late number "I"s or "X"s or anything from the "H"s.
The only thing that would be worth anything in there is the Action Comics #1.  With Overstreet (THE comic book pricing guide) estimating that there is only 100 of these left out there, it's worth money even in such bad condition.  That case it's in is what CGC does, btw.  Grade it and slab it, never to be touched again (Can you imagine if they started doing that for modules?).  Even at 4.0 (with 10.0 being the best), it's still worth getting in my opinion.  Not for $330,000 though.

I wouldnt touch comics with a 10 ft pole.  I went through the 100's in my collection of the early 80's to find they are worth less resale wise (not book value) than i originally paid for them.  If people wont pay the book value price, it kind of makes the "book" worthless.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:14 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:Now this is off topic, but just in case anyone wants to start collecting comics, this is a nice beginning. 68 tons of comics! Check out the pictures at the bottom of the auction page...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 72453&rd=1

8O

Definately a weird auction though. :)

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM